1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creative XFi vs Razer Raptor Soundcard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zr_ox, 10 Mar 2007.

1. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Hi All,

I have been running sound from the daughter board on my Striker for 2 weeks now, and whilst it's fine it does no justice to the rest of the components.

I'm aiming for either the Creative Soundblaster FPS or the Razer Barracuda AC-1, now I have trawled google and found masses of praise for the Creative, and a small amount of praise for the Razer. A number of people have dumped the Creative card for the Razer and been much happier, however I trust the bit-tech community much more than anywhere else.

Is there anyone out there that can give me info on either card? I am swaying more towards the Razer card.

Many thanks in advance :thumb:

2. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

Razer if you have to choose between just those two.

It supports 5.1 surround via dolby digital live, and DTS. Creative only supports 2.1. Also the AC-1 has the added bonus of 192khz/24bit audio over the optical out, a necessity for audiophiles. Also, creatives software is uberly bulky whilst the card itself just seems to lack anything. The only benefit the x-fi has is its mrginally faster framerates in but a few games that have been optimized and monopolised by creative (cough: BF2, cough: BF2142, cough: GRAW)

However, I would personally scrap both of those cards for this one:

The Auzen X-Meridian

It has got to be one of the best cards out there for features. It's also one of the nicest i've heard. It sounds so good, that i'm ditching my X-Fi and buying one myself. Listening to music on this card was awe inspiring. Attached to an AV reciever via the 192khz/24bit toslink, you just feel surrounded by absolute bliss. And if you don't have an AV reciever? You don't need one. The features this card supports means you basically have a reciever on the card. DTS, pro logic, pro logic IIx, dolby digital live. It just can't be beaten for it's price (£110 UK).

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-004-HT&groupid=701&catid=11&subcat=

3. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Well creatives been around a while and offers a very general use while allot of other cards like that one have more specialized purposes and usaully use technologies like THX and other industry standards rather than use a home brew.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Creative is bit like Logitech... they make great products for gamers (and programmers for Logitech), but their software and installation system sucks.. REALLY SUCKS!

For some reason they don't like to use installation maker program, but rather spend A LOT of money on making their own setup.. I believe they should drop making those setups that are far to be good, and concentrate more on the actually software that comes with the product (maybe it would be better?!)
    For example, with Creative, it takes like 10min to install just the drivers and sound panel and some midi fonts. Full setup takes MUCH more time. The worst part is that you have a video of the X-fi logo without sound (as your sound card is not installed) BEFORE the setup, and after it. And when you insert the CD in, you are asked questions like language and location, and what you want to install. Each screen is an independent exe that launch.. and it's made in Flash with a very crappy software to make it standalone. (I know this because I program Flash and I know all the swf2exe (to make it stand-alone) software out there and fully tried all of them.

With Logitech, you don't know where it's in the process.. and the iTouch SETUP works for Windows XP SP1, but not SP2. But on Logitech site it says for Windows XP SP2. You end up making this hack into the registry to allow it to install, then restore what you did in the registry. This problem was never fixed since 03/30/2004. And believe me they are A LOT of complaint in there forum. And the fix is easy.. they just have to check the box in InstallShield to allow it to work for XP SP2, nothing more.

The software for the creative and Logitech adds a lot of crap under the startup folder in the registry which you need to clean (eg: update NOTIFIER, Help document...Helper (don't ask), and product registration, even if you registered or say never remind me again... it's still starting up)

Yet their products are SOOOOOO GOOD that it evens it out. At least their software don't crash, they always work perfectly and as expected.
    For some it's an issue, and they prefer to change brands. For me I say it's worth it. Creative and Logitech were extremely slow on making Vista drivers.. and yet they are both don't have fully functional drivers (unless you don't have or use the extra special buttons on your devices (for Logitech) or don't have this complex surround sound system (just stereo or 4.1 setup at the most). But patients... they are still working on it, like other companies.

Now back to your sound card:
    Personally I won't trade my Creative X-Fi for anything.
    I must agree with Supra55. Also I'll add that the sound is excellent, even superb, professional audio software like Steinberg WaveLab can finally detect my sound card properly and use it properly, there is no static whats so ever (the only time you will hear static is if only you connect the CD Audio cable, which is useless if you use Windows 2000 SP4 or newer OS). And you do see a boost in performance in your gaming.

The only thing I see good on the Raser is the better setup...

Last edited: 10 Mar 2007
  5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The Auzen seems interesting :eek: I wonder if someone's actually changed the OP-amps and even gained some difference. About the original thread, I don't know too much about sound cards as I'm using the integrated and digi-out (drivers SUCK.. Badly.), but I'd really hope that Creative has learned something from their 10 years of sound card making. In common I'm lolling at GAMING-gear and the Razer GAMING soundcard just cracks me.

6. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

THX isn't a technology - it's a classification, a badge, given to equipment that either pays enough (for most of the ****** 'thx certified' cards out there), or is actually good enough to conform to its very, very strict performance constraints. (there are different types of THX classification. nobody really pays any attention to anything but the top two - THX select and ultra. and only proper gear has that ;) )

it doesn't DO anything - it just says how well something has to do what it does.

7. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I love my X-Fi but my God the software is AWFUL.

Only marginally better than Sony's Sonicstage, it's that bad (for the people who've been unfortunate enough to have used it).

8. GoodBytes

I would like to add that just in the sound point of view, let's forget gaming...
    The sound card depends on the audio style of music you listen. For example, you won't buy a McIntosh amplifier and Bang & Olufsen speakers(2 200$US) to listen to your dance music. (if you don't know those products, they are extreme high end audio products for studios, and it's for people that craze for the most realistic sound possible when they listen to opera, jazz and classical music, or theaters or sound professionals (depending on the model you get))
    Example: (check the connection and specs) http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/..\data\brochures\MX136.1.28.07.pdf

Also, speaker wise.. your speakers can sound better on a different sound card...
    So for example, my Logitech speakers can sound wonderful on the X-fi, but horrible on the razer... but your speakers might sound the contrary...

Each speakers and amplifier (sound card) is optimize on certain frequency, with different music style in mind.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2007
  9. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Hi All thanks a lot for the info. I'm still not sure so will continue googling and then take the plunge sometime next week. Many thanks

10. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

http://www.guru3d.com/article/sound/399/

If this doesn't sway you, besides actually hearing the thing (omfg its twice what they say it is), then i don't know what will. Although if you want an X-Fi, i'll sell you mine =P

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The Auzentech is based on the same CMedia Oxygen processor I've reviewed twice and it's a seriously awesome audio chip. It all depends on how you spend your time on your PC:

If you're spending it more watching movies, TV, music (lossless) then the Cmedia is your friend, but if you're by any stretch some kind of semi-serious-gamer then it HAS to be an X-Fi.

I've been trying to get in contact with Razor for a while to get a card in :( hopefully I can find them and Auzentech at Cebit.

12. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

Drivers are so bad with Creative that although I have had their cards all my life I will never have another after this X-Fi.

13. GoodBytes

Wow, ok they are not THAT bad.
    It's just the setup that is bad... It never crashes, works great, and responds great.

14. GameTraveler

GameTraveler What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I was about to say, that the Razer is based upon the same Oxygen sound chip as the other cards = The 8788.

Although the ability to change out the opamps in the Auzentech seems like a good thing, I haven't figured out what I'd change them too :eyebrow:

YMMV

15. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

My thoughts exactly. Though for the gaming I do (I'm a light gamer: mostly strategy or Guild Wars) I just use the onboard sound and save my money.

That would be sweet

16. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Razer "Raptor" soundcard?

There are some mixed reviews of their Barracuda AC-1 Gaming 7.1 sound card.

For instance, Ultimate OC concluded:

However... PC Apex summarized it by saying: