1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OCZ controls games with your mind

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 17 Mar 2007.

1. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

a couple points to add:

first, everyone keeps hearing about these things once every couple years by some weird startup somewhere. OCZ picking it up? that's news.

secondly, how much control do you really get? speed and response time? how many distinct actions can you perform?

and, of course, accuracy. is reading skin currents and stuff like that enough? will future pro-gamers be shaving their heads to increase performance?

2. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

I have to say I agree!

LMAO Fatal1ty bald!

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

regardless of accuracy or performance, this is a great great next big step of evolution in the computer world... not just gaming....

a viable way for the masses to have a neural controlling device. period.

that itself is big news!

the first time a "car" came out, horses are way faster and they dont need any gas. just a couple of carrots and some water. thus everybody laughed at the idea of travelling with a car. some say its cool and stuff, but for the masses, it's just 'odd'.

well, then, here we are.

im not a historian but u get the idea...;)

4. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I think it was research there that lead to this. I think giving these people access to computer games (and so much more) would be great :clap: but Imagine getting repeatedly killed by someone in a wheelchair who can't move more than his head :jawdrop: :hehe: .

From what I have seen of similar devices before I expect there to be quite a learning curve - it would be something like learning to use a third arm.

Edited for clarity

Last edited: 17 Mar 2007
  5. jmke

jmke What's a Dremel?

my colleague reviewer got the hang of the system after 5-10 minutes and was fragging away in UT2004.

The controls for this profile were set up:
    - mouse 360° look around
    - eyes left/right- strafe left/right
    - close yaw: run forward
    - close yaw harder: jump

there can also be actions linked to the alpha/beta brainwaves, but they do take some time before you can control them enough. Visit my link on the previous page for more details on the technology behind this OCZ product:)

regarding the wheelchair, some of the technology inside was pre-tested by Stephen Hawking.

6. apoogod

apoogod trix arent just for kids

7. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

@ Kurayamino
    glad to see im not alone

8. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

When I read the article I thought, isn't it a bit early for April fools?

But I guess y'all being serious.... great stuff but wouldn't that take away the thrill of gaming. In my view it would make gaming easier but I'll have to try it out before I can comment on it more.

9. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I've tried one of these systems awhile ago, this is more sophisticated than what I used. The airforce also looked into such a system for piloting aircraft and targeting etc (and they use it for targeting on helicopters now). Anyways the issue I had was more the preciscion was lacking in that you know how you want that timing in UT where you jump just at the last frame possible off a ledge, It was harder to get taht down. At any rate it would encourage such a device even if it was set for more digital inputs such as switching guns, bringing up maps etc.

while we are on input devices is it that crazy to ask for a keyboard with analog arrow or WASD keys (analog being they aren't just on off but have various degrees of pressure as any controller has had for the last 2 generation) That's my biggest pet peave in FPS and racing games, it's either on or off

10. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Now that's a crazy (as in crazy good) idea! :thumb:
    Surely one of those fancy two handed game controllers (like the one for the PS2 but with more buttons?) could do that but it would mean giving up the mouse. :sigh:
    Would a one handed joystick-like device in your off-hand work?
    Nah, I still like your gamer keyboard idea better. (maybe the folks behind the Zboard should look into this)

Last edited: 18 Mar 2007
  11. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Aye, gotta agree with that, I hate how I can't make my car hold a steady 60mph and brake slowly to a stop. Bah.

12. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I should hurry up and patent the idea and make em, I don't think it's that crazy or epxensive for a keyboard to have 4 analog buttons, I spose if you were a smart enough you could hack the analog buttons an xbox or such controller (and since they are already usb and have windows drivers) and modifiy a keyboard but a manufacturer with a little bit of money could do a very nice job, and Racing game especially when you have to pump the arrors just to take a turn

13. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

14. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

What a name though. I would have preffered something a bit more sci-fi B-movie: The BRAINSTRAP for example. MINDMOUSE even. I can see the poster now. 'They could control the keyboard and mouse, but no man could control...THE BRAINSTRAP!' Coming to a cinema near you. In fact I might have to pitch that to the studio that okayed Grindhouse....

15. gimpchimp

gimpchimp What's a Dremel?

Aww man, that looks frickin' sweet!

16. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

id buy one ! looks kool

Tags: Add Tags