1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot problem again

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Cereal, 16 Mar 2007.

1. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

Hello, I am having an intersting problem... that has happened in the past... im not quite sure what i should do now though, so I am askign for some advice...

I built up my computer about a year or so ago, everything went great from the start... until after about 6 months my PSU died... or so I thought... It was a coolermax cheaper 550watt PSU.. At that time, I did all the tests and determined it was my PSU so i sent it out to coolermax who said it was fine( but they sent me back a brand new one....) Anyway, i bought a brand new rosewill 550watt psu so my comp. would function while that was out... that PSU worked fine out of the box... That was July of 2006... Just today, i woke up to find my computer off... It won't boot... When I pressed my power button, the PSU made a sizzling? kind of noise a couple times and then stopped all together.... SO i pulled it out and put in the new coolermax that i had recieved... And am getting my Motherboard light on... but nothing will power up.... at most there is a flash of light from my fans and then nothing...... Im puzzled... im still trying things but I am wondering what you folks think of this issue....

Any help is appreciated...
    Thank you

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

that's why you buy a brand name like seasonic or enermax. Sounds like something fried.

3. wsurritte

wsurritte What's a Dremel?

check the capacitors on the motherboard. they can explode causing all sorts of noises, and can seem like a psu issue.

4. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

nope, capacitors are fine on MOBO.... Not sure what the deal is now...

5. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

CMOS reset? Could have been a power surge or something. It happens to me, if the power goes out I have to reset my CMOS to get it going again else its power up for half a second and off again.

6. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

Ok, I just ripped everythign apart... plugged in only a dvd drive, gfx card, and main HDD... when I flipped on my PSU(which works) my fans spin up for a second and the light on my Mobo goes on... but thats all I get... My power button does nothing at all... I would think ints not my Mobo if the light is on and fans spin for a second... could it be as simple as my power button? Or anythign else I haven't thought of... Please Help me! I don't know what to fix as i don't knwo whats wrong... I am in the process of getting another mobo to completely rule that out... could it be my ram? I am at a loss.....

7. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Try the CMOS reset.

8. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

alright, im goign to try that now, i'll post back soon
    Thanks alot for the help!

9. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Hope it works :thumb:

10. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

unfortunately it did not... nothing changed, .... any other ideas?

Thanks

11. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Try with minimal components installed, start with only the CPU and motherboard, then add RAM, Video card, hard drive etc. If it does not work with only your CPU then it will most likely be that your motherboard has released its spirit in a puff of magic blue smoke.
    What are the rest of your components? They should still be under warranty.

12. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

CPU : AMD Athalon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz socket 939

Mother Board : A8N SLI Premium

Memory: PQI Turbo 1GB (2x512)

GFX Card :EVGA GeForce 7800GT 256mb

Audio: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum

HDD 1: Western Digital WD740GD 74GB 10,000RPM SATA

HDD 2: Maxtor 250GB 7,200RPM Ide

Drives :Samsung IDE DVD Burner x 2

Floppy Drive

- Ill try that eithe rtonight or in the morning, i just got some memory and another power supply from a friend too just incase.... Im hoping its not my motherboard... :worried:

Thanks alot r4tch3t

13. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

no go with just motherboard and CPU... No action at all.. CPU fan doesn't spin up... just like it was before... so could both be dead? or could my CPU still rise from the grave? This is a sad day....

14. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Its probably your Mobo, try your CPU in another board if you can. If it works, then you will hav to replace your Motherboard. It should still be under warrenty, so you can RMA it.

15. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

I got it form newegg in september of 05, and it has a 3 year warranty on it... however on newegg's site in my account it says to contact the manufacturer as they do not make this mobo anymore... But ASUS's website says to contact the vendor... so I just sent a return request to newegg... i guess i'll have to wait till monday to find anything out.... Thanks alot for your help! Now i just gotta get through the run-around and get my 'puter working again....

16. krimson

krimson What's a Dremel?

contact them both... i would send an email to them both.. (like the same email, with both of them on the TO field) stating your problem, and that you dont know which company to contact, but you still should be under warranty...

if they reply, and say to contact the other person, when you write them back, attach ASUS's email when you write newegg, and vice versa...
    that way, you can show them that you arent trying to be shady, but just trying to figure out who to contact.

because, i agree with others, it sound like the mobo.

17. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

I called ASUS today, they gave me an RMA # so tomorrow it will be off to their laboratory...... Hopefully they're quick!

Thanks for all the help! :D

18. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

OK, problems still, i just got my replacement motherboard and tried again with just minimal cpu + mobo, i got the same thing as before.... the light on my mobo is green (showing it has power) but i get no fan spinning up when I turn the power supply on and I get nothing from hitting the power button.... no POST, no anything..... I am desperate for an answer... I have no other cpu to test if that is the problem....What are my options here... do i have to bite the bullet and get a new CPU and hope thats it?

Thanks for your help,
    Pete

19. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

I had this problem also, it turned out to be the cpu and the motherboard.
    I couldnt tell you which one caused what other one to work as first thing I did was put only CPU in mobo and I got the lights and fan just for a second, same as you.

If it was the faulty CPU killing the motherboard you will have problems.

I really recommend getting another CPU and hope this new mobo isnt damaged.

Notice I said both CPU and motherboard were faulty, even though the motherboard did have lights and fan did spin for a second on the CPU.
    Try not to read too much into the lights and the fan, its all just electronics at the end of the day.

20. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

all right, thanks for your help! This whole situation is getting worse and worse as I just got my warranty replacement PSU and they sent me back the wrong one completely.... im soo frustrated but thank you for your help, i guess i'll be getting a new CPU soon.... ahhhh