1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. acecuk

acecuk What's a Dremel?

I did some more test and found out that when it was connected to a DVD output via video(yellow) cable there was no screen display.When I connected the audio cables(red\white) the screen lit up.I could remove the red cable and still the screen lit up but if I removed the white cable the screen was dead.I also tried this using a S-video cable and again I only got the screen to lit up when the white audio cable was connected.
    So for some reason it needs the white audio cable to be connected for the screen to lit up.
    I connected the white audio cable to my speakers and now the ATI Catalyst control centre detects (not forced)the psone lcd but it won't enable it.

Anyone got suggestions.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2007
  2. acecuk

acecuk What's a Dremel?

I have now managed to get the psone lcd to display windows when the main monitor is disconnected.
    Also when in the control centre you can swap the 2 screens and it does this ok but will not enable the other screen.

Any ideas?

3. acecuk

acecuk What's a Dremel?

Solved the problem
    The card is a duel monitor display.
    I connected the main monitor to the other socket and problem solved both screens displaying windows or extended desktop.

I can only think that I had my main monitor in socket 2 and the TV output is socket 2 so you could not enable 2 outputs from the same socket .I hope you understand what I mean.
    You would not have thought it would matter what socket you use as there was nothing in the instructions.

4. l0cke

l0cke What's a Dremel?

I got mine working, but some lines on the screen are all jittery?

can anyone help? or is it souposed to be like that :wallbash:

Timings:

Code:
    PowerStrip timing parameters:
    640x480=640,56,64,88,480,76,8,24,13376,2174

Generic timing details for 640x480:
    HFP=56 HSW=64 HBP=88 kHz=16 VFP=76 VSW=8 VBP=24 Hz=27

Linux modeline parameters:
    "640x480" 13.376 640 696 760 848 480 556 564 588 interlace -hsync -vsync

5. wolfhound

wolfhound What's a Dremel?

Hey I just wired up my screen does the picture below look like its wired right?
    [​IMG]

6. wolfhound

wolfhound What's a Dremel?

Anyone^^

7. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

No, I dont remember the solder points being that spaced apart, will have to check.

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Where on earth have you connected the Yellow, Grey and Purple cables?

9. Dallicis

Dallicis What's a Dremel?

Ok so im having some problems with figureing out wich wires on my vga cord need to be sodered to the board for the psx screen

[​IMG]

Theres a pic i put a color beside each wire to help a little and there are 3 wires that are bigger than the rest (Blue, red and grey), could you show me what wires i need to attach

[​IMG]

Last edited: 25 Apr 2007
  10. Dallicis

Dallicis What's a Dremel?

Ok i got the wires figured out (i think) but i need to enable compsite sync in powerstip, but it wont let me go into advance timming options, can anyone help me with that? if it helps im using a x1950 pro as my videocard

11. JLPicard001

JLPicard001 What's a Dremel?

I am having a hella time getting this to sync, anyone else have this issue?

12. TheFoeYouKnow

TheFoeYouKnow -The Hard Way-

My LCD mod, finally

Can you believe it? This took 3 YEARS! ok, so maybe it took 20 hours, but after the first 15 hours, it sat on the back burner(so to speak) for three years. I can't tell you how good it feels to finish something like this. I don't even know how to top this. What else could I ever do, that could be on this level. I guess I'll never pick up a Dremel again.
    Maybe I'll learn to paint good.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. dt1000

dt1000 What's a Dremel?

Display via composite is black & white - any tips?

Hi.
    Last year I modded a PSOne LCD to work using VGA - it was awesome!
    Now I have a new computer and I have to switch to composite video, due to change of graphics card (8800GTS... oh yeah!)
    It's all working: I have a picture on my screen. However... it is BLACK & WHITE! :(
    Any suggestions?
    Cheers,
    Dan.

PS It is a PAL LCD and I am sending it a PAL signal.

14. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

I've still got one sitting in bits from 2002 I think :rolleyes:

15. Diablo2k

Diablo2k What's a Dremel?

Mine is sitting here in pieces as well. I would really like to get this going ASAP. Only problem is I am not very good at soldering and I am afraid to mess things up beyond repair. but I guess ineed to get it done or throw it away. I need t go back thru this thread and find the links to the instruction on how to set this up with the eprom chip as that is how I would like to do this so it will work with any video card. I do have a matrox video card that I bought just for this mod but that was before I found out about the eeprom mod.

I am looking for some spare parts, I basicly need the smaller PCB with the connectors on it and the wireing harneses. If you have a busted Screen and would like to sell it please drop me an E-mail. diablo2k@kc.rr.com

Also I keep seeing people saying they have theres hooked up via S-Video but when I look at there pics or diagrams I see that they dont have Svideo hooked up, ony the RCA video connection, they may have it hooked up to a Svideo source via an adapter but none actually have S-Video hooked up. Does anyone have the proper hookups to use with a true S-Video source, I have a plug that has 4 wires, red, grey, black, and ground/shield that I can use that I took off something else.

Last edited: 31 Jan 2008
  16. doki@pcmodz

doki@pcmodz pcModz Philippines

I got mine working, I'm using ATI Radeon 7000 PCI video card. More pictures can be found here

here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pictures can be found here

17. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Hey all :) This thread brings back many memories...

Now as some of you might know, I intend to run a portable, low power EPIA system, and I was hoping to use one of these as the primary screen (whilst in portable mode). Now as far as I am aware, the VGA output of the lower end Mini-ITX EPIA boards is rather inferior... so I presume that they do not support csync? :confused:

If so, there are two ways I could go...
    Either I get a PCI Graphics card, like the ones described here:
    Or better,

Or I find another way to get csync working...

Right? Which makes more sense?

Another concern of mine is power consumption. If I am to run this off a battery, my first concern is that the battery has enough umph to power the system, and I'm afraid that an additional graphics card might be too much of a drain... although it would help with DVD playback... Does anyone have any idea how much power is consumed by an old school graphics card, like a Radeon 7000? With a heat sink that small, it can't be much...

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    MGT

EDIT: And BTW doki ^, that is a pretty awesome guide ;)

Last edited: 16 Sep 2008
  18. Igrosh

Igrosh What's a Dremel?

help... plz!

hi ppl.
    first of all i want to apologize for my english.

I did the psone -> VGA mod i followed this guide: http://inquisitive2007.googlepages.com/psonelcdvgamode
    wich is basicly this guide: http://tidder.rudyatek.com/tidder/lcd/ translated to hebrew.
    I try to connect the PSONE lcd to my HD4870 as a secondery monitor.
    the backlight turns on the brightness\volume sliders work but the computer wont recognize the lcd and i cant a picture on it...

what have i done wrong with the mod?

19. ruprecht

ruprecht What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I've picked up 2 original Sony PSOne LCDs (PAL) to use in my sim cockpit (http://pitblog.radsy.com). I soldered one up last night using the original starfox instructions but I get nada when I power it up. It doesn't even look like the backlight is coming on, I get no sign of life at all from the LCD.

Is this normal? I've tested my soldering with a multimeter and the right pins are connected (VGA 1,2,3 for RGB, VGA 6,7,8 grounded, VGA 9 for DCC and VGA 13 for Csync).

I read elsewhere that VGA 5 (http://www.pcmodz.info/viewtopic.php?id=159) should also be grounded, though I'm not sure if that's only for NTSC or if it applies to PAL?

I'm guessing also that my video cards might be a problem. I've tried my GeForce FX 5200 PCI (without a CSync adapter) and nada as expected, but also my AGP Radeon 9600 gives nothing.

Any hints?

Cheers

Last edited: 12 Jan 2009
  20. ruprecht

ruprecht What's a Dremel?

I've just purchased a Matrox G200 on eBay to cut the video card problem out of the loop. Does anyone know if the Matrox drivers (or Powerstrip) allow you to rotate the display 90' to run it at 576x720 in portrait?

I want to use it as my ABRIS for Black Shark.

Tags: Add Tags