1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Core 2 Duo 6700 High Temps!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sailorboy, 19 Mar 2007.

1. sailorboy

sailorboy What's a Dremel?

Hello!

Have just built my new system (look @ sig)and right from the start I saw high temps from the CPU! Had a FX-60 before so I am used to somewhat high cpu temps, but after reading how great and cool running the core duos are, I were a bit confused when the volt set at auto in bios(1.23 even under voltage) the temps were Idle 35c/37c and Load 50c. And this is with watercooling setup with a BIX3 and a BIX1.. CPU block is Innovatek xx-flow rev.2!!
    Have reinstalled it several times with as5 and ceramique.

With the stock cooler Idle temps are Idle 47c and Load 65c.

Tried to do the razor blade and flashligt test and to me it looks like the heatspreader is concave! But it doesnt rally feel that scientific and I would hate to RMA it (even tough I probably have to) because i bought it from Germany and I live in Sweden, so I probably would have to wait for 2 weeks until a replacement. :duh:

I just wanted to hear if anyone had any toughts on the matter?? or just confirm what I already think is the problem (concave heatspreader).

Sorry for the long post but Im so pi**ed off things like this happens :waah:
    Thx/Chris

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

What are you using to measure the temps?
    Your idle -> load temps are about right which could suggest your CPU is just a hot runner, do you have the cpu's batch code at all?

Regarding RMA, chances are you won't get one as the high temps aren't causing the CPU to fail. High temps aren't usually grounds for a valid RMA.

3. sailorboy

Im using Nvidia monitor, core temp and speedfan, all report the same temps. Tried to installl TAT but it wont install on my system. Loading the system with Orthos small FFTs.

FPO/BATCH: L627 B003

are these really ok temps? with such extensive cooling and undervoltage still get these temps?
    Tried to overclock to 3.5ghz with 1.42V and the Load temp were almost 70c! with Idle at 45c. Seems like the difference between Idle and Load are to much in my eyes?

4. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

For reference, I'm hitting 46-47*C idle and 64-65*C stock with a Scythe Ninja. (Albeit with a 1000rpm fan). I think I might to reseat it, but I really can't be bothered - let's just say attaching that Ninja in the first place was difficult enough. Also, I'm guessing this is at stock speeds?

5. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

B batch chips seem to run hotter than A batch for some reason.
    E6300 "B" here gets similar temps to yours, the chips run REALLY hot as you up the voltage and clockspeed. It's not quite as warm as yours @ 3.5ghz, but its not far off!
    There's not really much you can do tbh, the chip runs fine at stock speeds and thats all its warrantied for.

6. trig

trig god's little mistake

would lapping help?

7. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Assuming the IHS is convex/concave then yes. Could do more harm than good though. Run the risk of killing the CPU while lapping, doing a bad job could make the temps worse plus you void the warranty.

8. sailorboy

Hmm.. yeaa I dont want to send the chip back and then get the answer that it isnt any problem with it! I have searched the net for people with similar problem but doesent seem to be that many!
    I really thought this chip would be a really cool runner and be a breeze to oc.. :sigh: but with temps up to 70c @ 3.5/1.4V with this much watercooling its really no point.. feel a bit irretaded bcuse no point spending money on a striker and oc ram when u wont be able to overclock!

Shure I could trie to lap the heatspreader but.. I dont know if I want to take that risk! If something would really happen I wouldnt be able to rma it any longer..

But like I said ..to me it looks like the heatspreader is concave and if so it shouldent be any problem rma it right? Have contacted the company I bought it from and they said "rma it" but still!! if they dont find it faulty I will have to pay for the whole party! :clap:

9. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Hum, this looks really odd, as i have a e6700, and currently its at 27c, so to me they are high temps, you have put some AS5 (artic silver 5) on the the cpu yes?

Sam

10. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Thing is, there's nothing wrong with the CPU. If it won't run rated speeds stable due to high temps then you have grounds for RMA. However if the chip runs hot which means your can't overclock it as far, those aren't viable bounds for RMA.
    If it's accepted for an RMA/replacement then fair play though.....

11. sailorboy

Yes I have tried everything I can think of!

I totally understand what you are saying!... But after spending this kind of money on more or less gear made for overclocking it feels a bit rotten :miffed: .... I think I will take my chance and rma it !! The worst cenario is that I have to pay for the shipping (wait 2 weeks :sigh: ) and get my old chip back! Bur after spending 1700 euro it feels like its worth it if I get a chip that is not this hot running! or I get one that is exactly the same.... Ha ha ha...OMG got to love these computers n stuff ...

12. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

RMA it. that dosnt sound like a normal c2d lol

13. sailorboy

Sent it on RMA yesterday..... n we will see how it goes! :sigh:

as that wasnt enough my new OCZ GamerExtreme 850W PSU makes the most anyyoing sound ever.. been on OCZ forum and it seems like Im not alone with the problem, the fan sounds like cheapo 80cm fan :duh:

Dont know what it is with me and computer building... :wallbash:

14. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I think it's just the manufacturing process, I might be wrong here but I think they spend alot of money on R+D but cut a bit on the fabrication process?

15. sailorboy

For shuur!! I think so yes! Now question about it... when you produce a LOT of cpu:s or PSU:s... all of them arent going to be perfect..

but why do I end upp with them!! thats the question..Why!! lol :hehe:

16. sailorboy

Two weeks ago I got words from the shop that sold me the proc that they had to send it to Intel :confused: because they couldnt read the batch/name on the heatspreader??? what??
    They estimated the RMA to 4 weeks... exlnt.. :duh:

But today I recieved a mail that they confirmed the proc to be faulty, and that they would send me a new one asap.
    So now Im a happy puppy again.

17. sailorboy

Got my CPU back today .... got a different batch so I hope this will be cooler and overclock more easely.

FPO/BATCH# L630A530

The CPU even has a different heatspreader than the old one!
    The sides are "sloped" ,,,never seen this before

Old CPU @ 1.23V 2.66Ghz
    Idle 36c
    Load 50c

New CPU @ 1.32V (Stock with my Striker) 2.66Ghz
    Idle 32c
    Load 42c

Dont know what the stock volt is for the e6700 :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]