1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Is a cordless 2-speed Dremel sufficient for simple work?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by OremLK, 19 Mar 2007.

1. OremLK

OremLK What's a Dremel?

I picked up a Dremel today, thinking to use it to install a top exhaust fan on my case (and maybe even a simple window if I'm feeling especially daring). This tool apparently runs at 10k or 20k RPM and includes all of the relevant attachments.

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-DRE770...1-4134239?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1174267788&sr=1-23

Is this going to be good enough for my needs, or should I return it and get the more expensive variable speed corded version?

2. ClearCaseMan

ClearCaseMan Acrylic GOD

you might be able to cut a hole, but I doubt you will cut a entire window on a single charge. if the time doesnt matter yuo will probably be fine. it doesnt have the horsepower, but can still do the job just the same.

3. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

If you have a jigsaw, I would recommend using it for the window and maybe even for the blowhole if you think you can manage the curve. TBH, I never use my dremel. I really only use it for major filing or sanding, or for small cuts that can't be done any faster any other way. The amount of filing thats needed to be done afterwards has driven me away from using it more often.

Good tool though, that cordless looks like a good bet. Just don't expect to get a whole window done on one charge. A corded model may be better for you if you don't want the hassle of dying batteries, or when the battery wears out and having it die on you after cutting only 2 inches.

4. OremLK

OremLK What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies! I got started on the fan today, pretty much just drilled the four screw holes and marked up some tape in preparation for the fan opening itself. I'm actually going to cut out a grill from the top of the case instead of a typical circular opening with a separate fan guard. It'll save me a fiver and look cooler as well. I take it I should use the reinforced cutting disc for the job?

I may leave the window idea as a later project, though. This is obviously my first experience modding and I'm concerned I wouldn't be able to do it right.

5. OremLK

OremLK What's a Dremel?

Am I asking for trouble (electrically) using electric tape instead of plastic moldings to cover up the edges of the blowhole? It looks good and everything, but is it going to conduct anything/screw anything up?