1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows S.T.A.L.K.E.R Noooooow!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Neogumbercules, 15 Mar 2007.

1. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Ok i played it for the first 10mins, i did the mission to go get nimble at the start.

Im not impressed at all, the graphics look outdated and gameplay is pretty average at best so far.
    Sure its obvious the first 10minutes wont show much but the gameplay is apparent and also it shows what its about.
    Its nothing spectacular, infact for a game thats been in production so long its pretty dam crap
    I personally dont have high expectations of games - just something that offers something fun, something new....im not impressed at all, its pushing it to call it even "average".
    Most people probably arnt going to be impressed much at the start, it feels abit like fear at first but crapper gameplay and graphics yet more demanding on the cpu.

Sure it may have something more later on but the gameplay, graphics...what it seems to be about seems crap, boring and not worth my attention.
    If you have it pre-ordered...i would suggest you maybe "try" it before you buy, its on the internet for download.

As for me, im deleting it right now.

just my 2cents, apologies if i come across as being controversial for the sake of it because im not, it seems like a crap game.

-Solidus

2. orb

orb satisfying.

I hope you know you just admitted to Piracy

3. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Yeah i know unfortunately. I know its a bad thing but iv become incredibly tired of spending money on a game that turns out to be absolutely worthless and overhyped and to face retailers for a refund yet they offer me a trade-in for another useless game i have no interest in.

I buy all games i genuinely like but i choose to try them first, if i like them, i always buy.
    Supreme commander i intended to buy but i decided not to simply because i thought id try it after hearing mixed reviews.
    I am so relieved i didnt buy it, it is the most boring RTS game iv ever encountered...jesus am i glad i tried it...i deleted it straight after and felt £30 better for not being duped into it.

Im sorry for my negative views on piracy but all games i like, i do buy...im just a tired consumer that no longer wishes to get duped by hyped up advertisement.

4. orb

orb satisfying.

Just because you don't think you should pay doesn't make piracy okay..

5. aj@x

aj@x What's a Dremel?

It probably the real reason their is no demo, because alot of people do go for visuals when purchasing a game, if they produce a demo and people play it and think "ahhh man this pretty lame" then they won;t get as many sales, i am guessing upto 30% of poeple that buy will be dissapointed, those would have been sales they would have missed out on had they released a prerelease demo.

This is just my view on the whole thing, of course i could be totally wrong :)

I will wait till a mate gets it and i'll check it out then and decide.

6. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

I never said that! I dont mind paying for a good value game. Piracy is very bad i understand but its not without its goodsides too.

I can hear people cocking their guns to shoot me now so il try explain:
    It gives consumers the chance to atleast try a product before buying. In todays times, most retailers will not allow a return due to the possibility of piracy whether you have done it or not.
    If you have incompatibility issues, bugs or anything that stops your purchase from working, you will find it a very hard time to return a game for a refund...the best you can do is get a credit note.

Also you can atleast see if the product works before hand because PC's are very fickle things, they can suddenly not work for no reason:
    "why wont this bloody game work!? i meet the dam requirements!"
    "why does it crash to desktop on bootup?!"
    "why does it freeze or BSOD"

Iv gone through all this and i know many others have.
    It pushes developers to work harder too on their product, to encourage people to actually buy a retail version due to its quality.

Im not condoning piracy but i have my own view on it, i will buy anything that is good value but its so hard to know these days whether its hype or not.

7. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Oh No! He pirated! He's such an evil and bad man! Quick, send every authority in the known world off and after him for "Stealing" (i didn't see it leave the shelf, did you?) a crap game.

Don't grief users. Go find your local shop that sells pirated plastic by the tonne, and give the owner a griefing. Mayhaps you'll wake up in a dumpster a few blocks away. They're the ones deserving a fury.

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

This is why I like people that release demos of games. It reduces the risk of piracy.

Thanks for your mini review Solidus. I don't think I'll get the game.

9. tecate

tecate What's a Dremel?

This game is awesome. Too bad Solidus did not like it, but for those who LOVE scouting, sneaking, thoughtout combat should give it a spin. I have no regrets for spending the money on it.

10. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I just picked up the STALKER game I'm sorry but if you're going to complain about graphics then you should talk about games like GTA, the graphics are appauling compared to STALKER.

I think this game is quite good the problem however is there is a lack of a direction in the game's story, it's more of a self exploration game I presume. It's alright, not as bad as Solidus describes it to be however.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'm, not sure why people get all pissy when new games don't have uber shiny motion blured mega grafix, the graphics are pretty good, not amazing, but realistic.

When people re-visit a 6-month old game do you throw it down and never play it again because it's graphics aren't brand new?

Not a dig at you Solidus, but you just reminded me how much the press can jump on a high profile game that not got the latest graphics. I see too many reviews with - points because the graphics are "bad", they're not bad, they're just not OMFGCMGMINTHAC these graphics are awesome.

12. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

The story picks up near the end, so unfortunately I can't say much without spoiling it. Graphics aside I thought the game was fun.

13. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I dunno if anyone agrees with me but for some reason the relatively open ended gameplay with mostly unscripted events (correct me if wrong) is quite fun. It's almost like an MMORPG except with AI of course if that makes sense.

14. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

LOL 2 posts of yours mentioning Torrents, Are you gunna be the torrent king and sit next to BBQ as the PSU king?

15. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

You must not be running it maxed.

Maxed, it is easily the best looking game to date.

16. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

This game is simply brilliant. I have been playing it nonstop for days now and can't put it down. It has made me completly ignore both Trackmania United and Test Drive Unlimited since i got it and i love both of them games!

The graphics are stunning i cannot believe some people think otherwise. The difficulty level is spot on and the game is huge. I have just finished Lake Yantar and the X16 lab and am steadily moving forwards towards the Red Forest. I can't wait to get to Pripyat :D

17. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Has anyone played it with a 6600gt? If so, how's the performance?

18. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

not sure how the 6800gt's compare to the 6600gt's but I can play this game perfectly at 1024x768, high detail, 4xaa with the bloom and motion blur and it plays fine, not choppy at all.

19. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

As long as you have a good amount of ram you'll be fine.

Graphics aren't that big of a deal, considering the game is immersive as hell. I can't stop playing it.

20. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

solidus, i have to throw it all back in ur face. the only thing that i dont find fault in what you said was the torrent piracy.

I know that the bit tech review described the game as oblivion with guns. Now im not sure if youve played oblivion or are even a fan or RPGs but by the time i put down the game (have not gotten the shivering isles or the nights of the ninie or any other of that expansion jazz) i had saved 120 hours of gameplay on my major charecter.
    Lets assume that Jim, our imaginary game loving friend, gets a wiff of this game called oblivion, and all he plays is the opening dungeon (without any charecter creation), thinking its an fps or a hack and slash. Jim would vomit from the sheer mediocrity of the game.

Im of course, full of hot air since i havent actually played the game yet, but from what ive heard if you walk into this and play the first ten minutes of a fetch mission, i really dont think that you have the ability to judge it to the least. At this point, all youre judging is the graphics, and from what the above people whoce actually played the game say, the graphics are rather good for the game and the time.

Dont mean to be abrasive, but maybe you didnt give it enough time. As for the part you judged, graphics are not NEARLY everything, definatly not the deciding factor of a game's worth. Sure theyre nice, but if you dont have gameplay, your graphics arent going to help the game be good.

MY 2 cents worth. :D

Tags: