1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Starting my cube case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Geosphere, 8 Mar 2007.

1. Geosphere

Geosphere What's a Dremel?

Hello again

Well, its been a few months since I first posted and now I have finally started getting the materials ready for my custom cube case. I thought I would post here before I start my project log, to get some tips from you guys.

The idea behind this case is to make it to my own needs and ideas. There are other cubes, like the Lian Li PC343B and the Mountain Mods UFO cases. but they are, in my opinion, too ugly or badly designed. So I have :naughty: stolen some of the better ideas and added them to my own.

Presenting
    Cubix
    ( Cube shaped case )​
    Plans
    [​IMG]
    Full frame

[​IMG]
    Front view

[​IMG]
    Back view (this bit has changed)

[​IMG]
    finished look (basic version)

How I will build it

The Frame​

I got some 1.5x1.5mm aluminium/aluminum box tubing to build the frame. I'm going to drill and tap holes for 5M machine screws, then use some 90° corner brackets to hold it together. For the front and back pieces I will use 1.5x1.5 mm aluminum L framing, with bends at the top and bottom. These will also be drilled and tapped.The cross bars will have rivets on them. This is because, if I ever decide to move a big 46x46x46 cube, then I would prefer it to be easy to dismantle.

[​IMG]
    showing the joints

[​IMG]
    (yellow = rivets)

The Inside ​

The inside of the case will seem pretty empty, but I will be adding a water cooling system soon and maybe some more items as I go along. First off, I will be using a (modified) Lian Li pc60 mother board tray. This is a simple modification, and just requires drilling out the rivets and removing the back part of the tray and riveting on a new plate. I will also build 2 harddrive/cdrom racks, each having 5 5.25 inch drive bays. Each side will also have 6 hard drive mounting points (this may change). As you can see, it will have 2 x 120mm fans to take in air and blow it up past the hard drives (I should also add, the case will be sitting on casters so the fans don't just suck up dust from the carpet)

[​IMG]
    front view

[​IMG]
    back view

[​IMG]
    Rack side view

Thats a pretty basic idea of how the case will be made/look. There is a lot more I could add, but I want to get started before I post more, because stuff WILL change as I go along. The shell of the case, at the moment, is just blank as I don't really know what I want. It will have a window and I will add some fans at the back of the case, but the frame is the major thing.

If all goes well this project will be started, with a project log, in about 3 weeks time as I'm still trying to source a few bits and pieces.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2007
  2. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

The outside of the case depends on your tastes and sometimes needs, you can make it stealthy will everything hidden, theres industrial which is self explanatory, and there are so many others.

3. Geosphere

After some work on sketching the shell of the case I think I will take 3cm off the case. :) should not change the look to much.

but it could change later I have to w8 on the motherboard tray to get sizes and see how I can make it fit in my cube :dremel:

[​IMG]
    top window idea

4. Geosphere

hello

Good news!!! my sourcing of materials is just about done. After weeks of googling and looking in shops I'm ready to start my first case project. I got my motherboard try on eBay got the machine screws corner brackets and alu box tubing. So now I have every thing to go ahead and start the frame. This case is not like others its not going to be made to look all L33T with blue led fans, uv water, hard drives with windows not that anything is wrong with that I just like time smooth and simple look. Its going to be simple box and have lots of room. :naughty: But I might pimp it out a bit. :dremel:

This is my FIRST big project and I have some questions if you guys could help me out it would be great

5. OremLK

OremLK What's a Dremel?

With that kind of case it'd be awesome to get some art and place it on the sides under some plexi, maybe a big print off of deviantart.com or something. But maybe that's just me.

6. Geosphere

I was thinking about doing some thing like add some anime pics. But I don't know how I'm going hold the sides of the case on I would like to have smooth sides no screw in it. had the idea to use some things likeTHIS but I would have to add like 4 to each corner. or els use some magnet type catches but i don't know if they are strong enough.

7. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

That's not a bad window idea. Have you thought about having the entire case in that shape?

8. Geosphere

Hi again

I have started my case but I have some questions about how do I bend some Alu L framing hope some one can help.

In the First pic I cut a section out of the end so I can fold the other half over and bold/rivet it to the frame. But I'm not 100% sure how to bend it to make it 90° I tried to put in a vice with some wood on each side and well... its a tad off 90° but looks pretty bad and shown in the second pic.

[​IMG]
    Section cut out (note I put it in the vice like that to cut the bit out not to bend it I just don't have a pic of me trying to bend it)

[​IMG]
    ugly bend

I don't know if I can do much better If some one could help me I would REALLY appreciate it. :dremel:

Thanks you

9. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

10. Geosphere

:) Yes thats the guide I got the Ideas from but when I try and bend it its always off. The cut and the wood are both straight the wood is lined up in the vice straight but it just will not bed right. It will aways have like a A hump right at the bend. even when I tap the hump with a hammer it don't seem to help.

[​IMG]
    sorry pic is all blurry only one I got atm

I will try tomorrow with better wood or some steel blocks. sorry if I seem like a noob its just don't wanna bend right. :waah:

11. Geosphere

Hi

Well I tried again with some better wood. And it came out MUCH better. I did mess up some bars when I drilled them before I bent them and so the hole moved from the center to one of the sides so I will have to remake them. :wallbash:

[​IMG]
    New wood (yellow one is the hardwood gray is soft)

[​IMG]
    The brace for the front cd/hdd rack support (note the extra bits on each end got cut off)

[​IMG]
    Better shot of the brace

[​IMG]
    The bad hole will have to remake it

So If all goes well I should start my Work log soon I got over 250 photos to sort out. I want to have the frame done and together before I start my log just so I got some thing to show :dremel:

P.S Thank you GuardianStorm your guide was really helpful just needed some harder wood and it worked fine :clap: