1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CM Stacker 830 Evo's sold out pretty much everywhere, and the EVGA's 8800GTX KO's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mother-Goose, 27 Mar 2007.

1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Anyone got any ideas what is going on with CM cases atm, alot of them seem to be disappearing out of stock left right and centre, OCUK only has the mystique 632 listed under CM cases now for some reason.

Also, I can't see the EVGA 8800GTX KO Superclocked in stock in any of the usual places (at a semi reasonable price).

Does anyone know what is up with the supplies for these, news items that kinda thing.

Ta

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

the 8800 ultra is out soon which may well have caused stock problems on the GTX since the ultra is essentially the same core. since the KO is a overclocked g80, they're probably using any cores that go that high as ultras instead of the KO. it could even be in the process of being phased out.

as for the stacker, dunno mate. i can't imagine it being a high volume part. although CM's cases are a bit thin on the ground everywhere atm. perhaps they are having supplier issues.

besides, you want a p180 anyway :p

3. Mother-Goose

lol I looked at the P180 and my mate got one, I think I preffer the look of the stacker though, its personal prefference rather than me not liking antec.

I'm gonna google for info about the 8800 Ultra, have you got any good links I should defo read?

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

AFAIK it's due out next month, so, not long to wait :p

april 17 says the grapevine, with gddr4 as a possibility. i would say wait, it will probably push the GTX prices down at the very least.

5. Mother-Goose

Yeh that sounds like a good plan, I was going to order over the easter weekend but now there are two reasons to wait:

a) No stackers
    b) 8800 Ultra hmmmm, how much do you reckon that fecker is going to cost :lol:

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'd say about the same as 8800GTX when it first came out. Would be insane to make it cost more :I Atleast I think it can't cost much more than that or nobody will buy one. After all it's just a turbo'ed 8800.

7. Mother-Goose

well if it is around the same price as the OC'd versions thats fine with me, fingers crossed for GDDR4

8. section8

section8 What's a Dremel?

come on gooser my shizzle all arrived this morning!!!! oh man am i excited! my conroe is week L632b so it *should* be one of the best overclockers.... plus im going to splash it with water so it should keep cool!

any ideas on when yours is gonna get here?!

plus i did get vista 64bit ultimate

9. section8

section8 What's a Dremel?

oh and just a word of warning gooser, the 7900 GTX gpus that were overclocked by standard had some trouble with artefacting later on in their lives... read all about it on these here forums, as i was going to get one back then! so give it a google or something for the pre-overclocked 8800gtx's....

they are probably fine, just thought i had better tell ya! you probably remember back then too!

now im going to drool over my new components without their vital part - the PSU!!!!!

10. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I found info on the 8800 Ultra here:

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=articles&go=read&arc_id=130

Looks like it's an 8800 GTX clocked even further :eyebrow:

I got the unclocked version of the EVGA 8800 GTX ACS3 from OC UK, and for £50 less it clocks past the KO version without breaking a sweat. It's being RMA'd though due to the high pitched squealing/whining which is common with the 8800's.

Being a CM Stacker 830 owner I can say it's a nice case, however for the price I would recommend the Silverstobe TJ09 :jawdrop:! The quality is immense, after seeing a friends I had buy one. Should be here this week :baby:

The aesthetics of the Stacker are great however I feel it's let down by a number of things:

1. Ventilation is enormous, however all of that mesh does not help to isolate noise. I have a "quiet system" however I can clearly hear the hard disks, the DVD drives sound like jet engines taking off and they are not the loudest ones you can buy.

2. Cable routing is very tricky since there is not the usual space between the motherboard tray and the drive cages. Normally that space allows you to route cables, so that whilst you can still see them, they look neat. There is a small space to pop cable through however, any amount of bulk on the other side will make closing the door a difficult task.

3. The quality of the motherboard tray is good, however since you can change the form factor, the removable parts are of lighter "poorer" quality. They are easily bent which means you need to be careful moving things around when you remove them.

4. Tool less design is good for air cooling, however it does not make water cooling particularly easy....but who wants that :dremel:

I cannot recommend the Silverstone TJ09 enough, but good luck what ever you decide to do.

11. Mother-Goose

I'll have a look at the TJ09, cheers zr_ox, I am a fan of the 830's look, and the EVO has wheels, yummy lol

So the 8800 is a whiney bugger, what happened to your Striker?

EDIT: Had a look at the TJ09, looks the business, I like the silver one but the black looks classier, something I think that is the other way round for the stacker 830. And not much different in terms of pennies.

It will come down to what is in stock at the time of ordering I reckon. Although from what you have said, getting the standard GTX and OC'ing sounds like a good option, does this void EVGA's very generous warranty? And is it easy to do? I've never OC'd gfx before :blush:

Last edited: 27 Mar 2007
  12. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Yeah the 8800's are know for their sceaming/whining noises. I checked the EVGA site, XFX, & ASUS sites and could see that it's a general problem. It's not the fans making the noise but some other component on the PCB. I could live with it, but dont want to. Since I'm going to invalidate the warranty by adding and EDDY K block, I want total silence.

As for the Striker well it's a first revision 1.00G, which is BAD. For a start when I recieved it a couple of jumpers were in the wrong position. Totally unstable performance with frequent BSOD's, I get data corruption at 300fsb which is a 6300 from 1.86 - 2.1 Ghz. General lock up's, used with my new memory & a friends Corsair Dominator with no difference, although when he used my memory he got frequent errors on his P5B. Appears to be 1 faulty module.

There are so many forums with complaints about the Striker's first revisions which appear to be very unstable. Apparently if you have a 1.3 to 1.4 then the real fun begins....in a good way. With the last build I have been seriously unlucky since my mobo, ram & GPU are all being RMA'd :waah:

13. Mother-Goose

Christ lol Right soooo what revision of the Striker should I be after?! just incase I get a dodge one and I have to verbally bitch slap someone.

14. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

Agreed on the striker revisions. My first one was RMA'd as soon as it failed post when I was testing them prior to building. if you have 1.3 or 1.4 revisions then you've got one of the best boards around; anything prior to that, one of the worst. :sigh:

15. Mother-Goose

quick update, ocuk seem to have it all the CM cases in stock again....oddness!!! still, the KO Supers are no where to be seen so, i'll wait the extra two weeks, see what the Ultra has to offer (basically I want to see if its GDDR4 or not) and then make a decision, if it is not GDDR4 then I'll get the ACS3 GTX and OC it.

16. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Like BluePhoenix said it should be 1.3 or 1.4 otherwise it's pants. I returned mine today but the dough ball in the shop was shocked to hear when I told him that he needs to bump the FSB up to generate the errors. His reply was that you should not "overcclock"....ehhh well do you know why most people buy the Striker?

When I told him of all the bench mark testing I had done he looked baffled. I just know he's going to give it back saying all is fine so he wont replace it :duh:

I have my fingers crossed but guess he's about as much use a a fart in a space suit.

Good luck Mother-Gooser :thumb:

Last edited: 28 Mar 2007
  17. Mother-Goose

Sounds like he will fart in your face and tell you its potpourri.

I may have to ask you about the OCing of the GTX if I don't get the ultra if thats ok zr_ox :) cheers for the advice.

I have one last question, the TJ09 has that swanky cooler/fan just for the GFX, does that have its ports for sucking air on both sides of the case? I couldn't tell from the illustrated review I read.

18. Mother-Goose

OOOO a quick news bite here: http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=4865

Bonus thing here of course is I can get the 8800GTX from EVGA and then use the 90 day step-up program to get the Ultra, is scan one of their supported retailers? I can't seem to find a UK list.

19. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Thats a great bit of news, and was the primary reason I chose EVGA.

With the 2900XTX being an estimated 8-49% faster, if the 8800 Ultra can even get close it's very good news.

Nice

20. Mother-Goose

I'm going to go for the standard GTX now and then I use that upgrade feature, is there a list of UK approved retailers for the scheme? I can't seem to find one