1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texas signs new self-defense by gun law

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 27 Mar 2007.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

So, I did some looking. According to this site Texas had a rate of violent crime of 529.7 instances per 100,000 people versus a national average of 469.2 instances per 100,000 people making Texas 8th in the US in terms of total crime and 13th in terms of violent crime.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2007
  2. robbybertu15

robbybertu15 <b>needs a job</b>

But do you think that is because of the lax gun laws there? There is probably no correlation.

3. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Cthippo - that link is dead. I think you need to consider many other factors before you can claim that TX is more dangerous due to gun laws. I mean what percentage of the population lives in large cities such as San Antonio, Dallas, or Houston? What about people who fled New Orleans and moved to east TX, if I'm not mistaken a lot of areas where New Orleans residents fled to saw dramatic increases in crime. If the crime rate is 8th out of 50, how many of the other states can even be considered dangerous at all? Kansas has no real large cities with any noticeable and the reason for that is simply 'cause the population is low. Nebraska, Montana, South Dakota and many other barren states also have low crime mainly due to a lack of large cities.

I like the Texas laws - they make it clear that if you break into someones house you could face very serious and immediate punishment.

L J

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Link fixed, my bad.

I didn't claim any conclusion, merely posted the statistics and let people draw their own conclusions. The numbers quoted are from 2005 and therefore are unlikley to take into account demographic changes due to dislocation of populations by the hurricanes.

Personally, I don't think that high rates of gun ownership make Texas any more dangerous, but I would argue that they aren't any safer for it either. You may be surprised to learn that I support the right to keep and bear arms. I also realize that we as a society pay a price for that right in terms of increased gun violence, but I think that the right is more important than the increase in safety that we might see from it's repeal.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2007
  5. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

Surprisingly Cthippo I agree with everything you just said.

Coming from Texas, it does not fill me with confidence to hear that it is now even more likely for people to do stupid things with guns, but I do like that there seems to be protections in law for lawful citizens rather than criminals.
    maybe that's unclear.
    I mean to say that the climate of criminal law has always been to defend the rights of the accused in court. I fully support this.
    But someone isn't "allegedly" committing a crime if I actually see him do it. Especially if it is to my person or family.
    If my life is threatened then procedure of law is the last thing on my mind. I'm glad to see that there continues to be statutory law which supports the rights of innocent people.

Unfortunately I do see this as giving people the idea that it is OK to be vigilantes. Rather like that case a while ago about the old man who chased down a couple with a gun for stealing some gas.
    Stupidity will flourish I'm sure. Hopefully responsible people won't be punished in future.

6. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Now if only they would bring back dueling. THAT would truely make it in interesting place to live. Think of the leather glove industry. It would explode and provide jobs for many. I mean, you need a good glove to slap the other guy in the face for a challange. It's not like they are lacking in leather.

7. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

Jumeira_Johnny: lol

as a texan, i am quite interested in th ramifications of this law. a commentator on the news last night pointed out there will be people who will attempt to use this law to get away with murder. feuding with a neighbor publically? get him on your property, aggravate him to the point of him physicaly threatening you and BANG. claim that you felt threatened and feared for your life, as well as the life of your family.
    and don't forget: it's not just for people at home, it includes workplaces and cars. wait til we get a justifiable road rage shooting....

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Whenever you feel the need to justify gun-ownership, just look at the rest of the civilised world that gets along quite nicely with no "right to bear arms" and far, far less violent crime. The system doesn't work. Guns just escalate the level of domestic violence to a killing level.

Let's face it, that Constitution was written at a time when the USA had just escaped from one colonial power and another could have moved in, it was on the minds of those worthies putting it together that a 'citizen's militia' might come in. I mean, let's be serious, who do you expect to be invading now? :lol:

Try the Ten Commandments, they were written far earlier but have aged far better. :thumb: