1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Sony PlayStation 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 30 Mar 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Aria are doing it for £399, if you're a student you can get it for £382.50

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

it's about NT$18,500 (285 squid) out here in Taiwan... makes me want to buy one, but I don't have the time and I also don't have an HDTV either. :(

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

We've had one at school for 4 months, someone 'imported' one from Japan.

However, I don't think its as impressive as when i first saw what 8800 GTX SLi running on a 30"...

5. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

I definitely think Sony redeemed themselves with the final release of the Playstation 3, especially with all the delays. However, I'm a bit disappointed at the look of the controller - it just doesn't match the console itself. The console looks very futuristic, but the controller looks...retro.

6. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

There are several errors in this article but the main one is:
    Yes the Wii is region locked, but the 360 technically isn't.
    That's developers choice as to whether they want to do that or not and as such MS shouldn't be blamed. There are also very few 360 games that are region locked (at least I have yet to find any that I want that are).

7. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Deja Vu, but then again thats what happens when you read both.
    Nice review, and Tim, get on anyways, you will get a HDTV eventually anyway, and for the price, well theres no ROB to rob you.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Great article, which sums up exactly what's wrong with PS3 atm. I have no doubt that, once the price drops begin, people will be flooding to buy one, I know I'll be sorely tempted, even without an HDTV yet.

The other problem that I've found atm is the stigma. I've been in a couple of game shops these past few days, and talking to the people working there, they've nothing but hostility for the PS3, and love for the X360. I suspect a lot of people would've been put off by such a negative attitude.

9. vts

vts What's a Dremel?

I'll Stick to Wii + 360. (speaking of which, when is the Elite out in the UK?)

By the time PS3 gets anything that actually uses it to full potential, the nex generation is going to be out. Sony are supposed to have a 10 year plan for the ps3, but i doubt that it will include 10 years of gaming.

I honestly also think that HD-DVD will beat Blue ray. and IPTV will beat those.

10. kempez

kempez modding again!

Very good balanced article. Well written and exactly what I think of the PS3 too actually. Thanks Tim good read

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

***COFF**** PLAYASIA ***COFF***

What was that, sony say we can't import, I didn't post any links...

12. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Good review though as good as it sounds, thre's no way I'm getting one.. Would be useless on my current TV whih is on par with a 10" LCD screen resolution :hehe:

13. TheSaladMan

TheSaladMan What's a Dremel?

I'm so pissed about the HDCP, but it was to be expected, any news about a DVI cable for the PS3?

Other than that it does seem like a nice console and would sit nicely next to my 360.

I'm Surprised you didn't say anything about MotorStorm actually, it's supposed to be one of the best racing games money can buy at the moment.

14. Draven

Draven What's a Dremel?

The point you're missing is that developers are not ALLOWED to region code for the PlayStation 3. Yes, there are certain games on the X360 that aren't region coded, but are you willing to take the chance and order one without knowing one way or the other?

With the PS3 you can order anything you like from anywhere and it will work. With the X360 it's down to the developer and it's pot luck for you.

So therefore Microsoft is to blame, since it could have insisted that all games are unlocked like Sony did...

15. Draven

Draven What's a Dremel?

MotorStorm wasn't mentioned in the original PS3 review because a full review of the game was published on the same day. It's pretty good, but still not an "I'll buy this console to play that game" kind of title.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/gaming/review/2007/03/23/Motorstorm/p1

16. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Coor, blimey, that sounds like some serious Sony fanboyage.
    Ok, so maybe I missed the point slightly however the article didn't exactly make it clear that that was the intention.
    Also you if you purchase from a good abroad retailer (like play-asia) they will mostly tell you if it's region coded or not.
    Though I do agree that dev's shouldn't be allowed to put region coding on things. Mind you though, most of the 360 games so far have been region free from what I can tell.

17. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

on play asia it does state weather the games for 360 and PS£ have any protection on them, alot of big titles don't.

Nice to see i can get a 20gig PS£ for £280-ish

18. koola

koola Minimodder

I'll stick to my X360 and PC I think.

Am not impressed with it :(

19. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

well it's the cheapest blu ray player on the market at the moment... and these ps3's sell like crazy at the store where i work....
    Kinda funny a guy asked today if we had the silver ps3 o_0 (I said I would paint it for him for €50 ;) )

20. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

You should have said "You mean the Xbox 360?"

Just proves what PT Barnum said about the procreational rate of fools.

Tags: Add Tags