1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Forcing portage to apply use flags?

Discussion in 'Software' started by 731|\|37, 29 Mar 2007.

1. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

Is there any way to force portage to apply the appropriate use flags to the kde-meta package set?

I believe some of them a circular, so even if I could get them all (from 400+ packages) and set them they won't all merge.

At the moment I'm running ufed on a second terminal and merging 4 or 5 packages at a time which is about as much fun as pulling my own teeth. I also run in to problems because it's only letting me scroll up once each command, and when I switch back to the first terminal from ufed it scrolls back down again. So here I'm more or less applying use flags 3 at a time which is incredibly slow.

Any help?
    -Thanks

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Code:
    USE="<use flags, space separated>" emerge -av kde-meta
    Or add them to /etc/make.conf, same syntax , USE="<use flags, space separated>"

3. 731|\|37

I mean dynamically. I can edit make.conf till my face is blue. It's just easier to use ufed to do it. The problem comes when there are hundreds of packages to emerge and I have to do an emerge -pv kde-meta to get it to list them for me and then add or remove them as needed.

4. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, a USE flag set in make.conf affects every package installed thereafter, so adding (say) unicode to your use flags means that every package installed afterwards will be built with unicode support. However, if you want a list of all the flags that kde or whatever will take, simply:

emerge -pv kde-meta >> packages

This creates a text file called packages for your perusal later. Or you could do:

emerge -pv kde-meta | less

to have a scrollable display. I hope this helps, but you need to be clearer if we are to give you any real advice.

5. 731|\|37

Ahh, alright then, I'll see what I can do with | less when I get home. I'm still a little new to gentoo so sometimes I'ms tumbling arround a lot.

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I don't get what you want to do... I mean really, global USE flags go into make.conf, individual get emerged with the USE prefix, or added to /etc/portage/package.use.

But why do you want to check every package for USE flags? I have a large list in my make.conf, and a couple in the /etc/portage/package.use and that gives me all that I could ever want.

7. andatche

andatche What's a Dremel?

This is a terrible idea for all sorts of reasons, it is a lot better idea to use /etc/portage/package.use as you also mentioned.

Tags: