1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling running a wc pump 24/7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by harvy, 27 Mar 2007.

1. harvy

harvy Minimodder

Whats the take from you people on running a wc pump 24/7?

2. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

if its a good pump theres no issues in it at all ;)

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Any pump suited to watercooling PCs is (or should be) rated for "continuous duty". That means it is built to run non-stop.

Aquarium pumps in particular are designed to reliably run 24/7 for decades, but most other pumps that are sold for PC watercooling will also happily run for 50.000 hours (about 6 years) non-stop.

4. harvy

harvy Minimodder

cool- sounds like my Eheim compact 600 pump from alphacool should last me a couple of years atleast then?

Last edited: 27 Mar 2007
  5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Should last a good while, check the datasheet out for it, if it's got a decent Mean Time Before Failure (30-50k hours, as Nexxo says), it'll do you fine. :)

6. Nexxo

Eheims in particualar, being German engineered high quality aquarium pumps, are designed to run continuously for decades. Only your heart is likely to last longer.

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

i've had an eheim 1046 running 24/7 without any problems for several months before i switched to a laing to save some room, the laing also didnt cause any problems yet.

8. nry

nry Minimodder

Had a Eheim running solid for the last year pretty much, and it was 2nd hand.
    No problems at all. Makes a few noises now and again but nothing I worry about

9. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I built my own WC pump from solid aluminum stock as a practical study assignment for an engineering course at uni. Its about halfway between an Ehein and a Laing in size.

been running non-stop for about 4 months so far. Its also dual-flow (twin input/output with no mixing), meaning I can have one pump driving two separate loops simultaneously. (cpu/ram;gfx)

10. Nexxo

Pics. You know we want them.

11. Axel

Axel What's a Dremel?

oh i want to see them

12. harvy

harvy Minimodder

I dont wanna see them, could you just send the pump to me instead?

13. Bluephoenix

I don't have access to a camera at the moment (with all the other tech around one would think it would be easy to get a decent camera) but when I have the time to drag it out and have a camera I should be able to post some. dunno when, as spring break here just finished. It is currently in the box I do most of my work on I can't afford to tear apart the LC system for the 2/3 days it would take to drain/remove/refill/recheck/reinstall the loop.

@harvy - if I had the time, I'd offer to build you one, but at uni time is the most precious of all commodities.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2007
  14. Axel

Axel What's a Dremel?

woah,when i just look at your "media" server...

15. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

I've been using the same Innovatek HPPS (made by Eheim to Innovatek's specs) since 2003 and it's running well (the same as it was from day one).

16. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

I've ran watercooling systems for 24/7 in the past and ive seen them go for much longer than that... but it all depends on the water cooling gear you're using.... if its cheap as chips then it might not be so smart to keep it running all night....

17. Bluephoenix

@axel - its not just a media server really, I use it for other work when the main rig is doing CAD analysis

18. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

:D Thats good to know, i always worry a little when i go out for the day, and leave my pc downloading. I have seen the results of a watercooling system after the pump fails, and the pc is left ticking over. not nice :p

19. Axel

Axel What's a Dremel?

what could happen if pump dies?
    There wont be leaks i guess and your cpu will shutdown when it reaches maybe over 60

20. Bluephoenix

one trick I picked up from a friend is if you're using a DC pump to hook it into the power switch, that way if the motor dies, the computer will turn off. It saved my friend at least $3000 about two months ago when his pump motor failed. (he was running a 'cheap as chips' job)

Tags: