1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: (insert name here) Updated September 22, 2007

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sparkyftw, 31 Dec 2006.

1. sparkyftw

sparkyftw What's a Dremel?

This is my first real mod that I have done. My only past experience is cutting out fan grills and the fun stuff in machine shop class. I lack most of the tools I would want (I hate using my dad's stuff). Luckly for me I have access to a full size mill, and I plan to use it.

To start: I bought this case from SVC for $50 bucks shipped. It is 21"x7.25"x15.5" (HxWxD) It is slightly crammed. I went threw many ideas and settled on air cooling. I have plenty of room for fans.
    [​IMG]

So after taking the sides and bezel out, I decided to start a layout using free USPS envelopes (you can get free boxes too!). The templates are roughly the right size. First the front. I decided on 3 120mm fans for intake.
    [​IMG]

The front cover will also hold 2 bulgin switches, a 3 fan controller (one for intake, one for 2 80mm in the back, one for blowhole) and a stealthed dvd drive. The front will be made from black acrylic. Colors are Black and Orange and some chrome mixed in. (that may change) Here is a pic of the front, and a screen shot of the design in autocad. Blue lines are mainly just outlines. Red is where I will cut.
    [​IMG]

Then I moved to the top. All that will be done here is add case handles from mnpctech and a blowhole. Since I want this mod to be simple, with function over looks, It will be a simple hole, some uchannel, and a chrome fan grill. Now blowhole kit for me (plus I can save 70 bucks then). I will just post the layout on the actual case, you can imagine a 120mm blowhole. Also add in the other case handle (seems I forgot to take a pic of this)
    [​IMG]

The back will pretty much stay the same. I thought about moving the PSU to the top, but the case handles may be in the way (only was to tell is once I have the case handles on) I may move psu to the bottom and move the mobo tray up some, but again, that is a ton of work, and I want this case ready ASAP. I have to cut holes for 2 80mm since it only fits 1 right now.
    [​IMG]

Anyways time to show what I have done. I finally have gotten the case all taken apart. That was a ton of rivets, but I think it was worth it. Notice the bottom is pretty scratched, I should have kept the case feet on. Good thing I will sand that. Also I took this after modding the divider plate.
    [​IMG]

I then started work on the divider plate that holds the psu and 5.25 bays. I had to do this because it would cover the top fan. Wouldn't have been that bad but I don't have metal blades for my jigsaw and I couldn't do it safely with my dremel. Out came the tin snips. I managed only to cut my thumb (In machine shop 2 years ago, I didn't listen to my teacher about putting gloves on and I sliced open my wrist). If you can imagine, cutting the steel was a pain in the ass. And in the the hand. I still have to clean up the cut with a sander or grinder, but that is for another day (I am tired, plus LANparty soon with some friends). I also modded something else for another project I am halfassedly working on. Time for some pics.
    [​IMG]

That is all for today. I have come back to the computer to think of some designs, like what to do with the side panels (which are safe in the box). I could do window, or I could foam them and paint a logo on it. (I really liked the fighter plane pc, and the red baron was looking good, same with fire fighter) It may be awhile till my next update. Next free day besides tomorrow is next sunday. Oh the joys of school sports.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, you can PM me here or you can get me on aim: sparkyftw

Also I forgot to add my modding buddy. He is just over a year old. His name is Jesse, and he is a pure breed black lab that we got for free.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Sep 2007
  2. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

finaly another person who has a dog as his helper not a cat mint dog just like my grandads but back to the mod im likin it so far and im guessing ur a fan of having tons of fans like me :D
    Oh and HAPPY NEW YEAR :rock:

3. sparkyftw

Happy new year to you too

Its not that I like fans, it is just the case is a little too cramped to really water cool it. I was talking to Bill from MNPCTECH and I came to the conclusion that air was the way to go (it gives me some extra space for stuff)

I am thinking about going to do some more work right now. I wish My dremel would let me cut it, but it is being a big meany.

4. sparkyftw

Yay update time. I think this will be it for tonight besides for ideas on the side panel. And maybe the name.

Since I needed to cut the front panel, I was going to use my dremel. But I had the problem of securing the metal. So I made a jig. After that I danced a jig (no pics of that).
    [​IMG]

So I grabbed the trusty Dremel XPR 400 and put in a reinenforced cutting disk. But since I am smarter then those at The Mod Nation (in their hole saw movie) I put on protection, strike a sexy pose, and take a pic, then I forgot to host it.

After 30 minutes (a guess) and 6 cutting disks later I am done with the cut. It isn't pretty, but I will fix it up later.
    [​IMG]

And what is left of the great jig? Tons of shavings and cool burn marks.
    [​IMG]

That is all for tonight. Once again feel free to comment on it. Infact please do. I need ideas for the side panels and I think this case needs a name. I don't really have a theme for it. It is just a simple project that will look nice at the LAN parties. Time to find a way to raise money to afford the parts for the actual computer. Not to mention the 200 in case parts I need for this to be close to finished.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2007
  5. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

yo me again first of all for a theme what do you like for example.

In my mod its based around the colours green and blue because i like the glow they give off I had original planed on flames but iv now decided that lots of people do that and i want mine to look cold and not hot looking if you get what i mean. So I have decided on a ice theme like the ice in the game batle for middle earth 2 expansion pack and it will also have a dragon on the side.So find somin u like the look of and base it on that.

Moneys more of a problem Just try beg, borrow and steal well not so much steal just try and get as much stuff for free as you can

HAPPY MODDING :dremel:

6. sparkyftw

The theme of this case is just something I can bring to LAN and it be simple and neat, and cost effective. Colors are going to be black and orange (inspired by orange monster)
    The thing I haven't decided is if I want a side window or not.

I am still going to paint the whole inside, I just haven't determined what will be what color either. This is going to happen if I put a window in or not,

7. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

Sounds good, looks like you got sum ideas that are gonna rock, you done a nice job. very well done! i think you should have a window! nice joob, ill keep tuned!

8. sparkyftw

I want to do a window but I have no idea what I should cut out on it.

9. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

I say you do the window, and then you etch something into it, that woudl look good, quite a large window. do something diffrent and a bit fun, i reckon that would look nice!

10. sparkyftw

duh one of the pics wasn't working. Fixed that right up.

I want to do a window, but I still don't know what I want, and I don't know if I want to etch it and risk messing it up, because I know I will find a way. Plus I don't really have a theme for this case. But if I put a window in, it will be big, but I may only do it so the bottom part of the case is exposed, not the whole thing.

11. sparkyftw

Ok here is the update today. Only one pic because my shop was about to get very messy, and it still is very messy.

I have cut out the holes for the case handles. God was that ever fun. They look like crap too. I am so impatient and do things the quick and easy way, not the slow and right way.

But hey the holes are done. I didn't bother to clean them up with the dremel, since hey, they will be covered by handles (I will sand it eventually)

[​IMG]

From there I went on to the funnest part of the mod. Sanding!!! Thats right I decided (well forced) to paint this case. I wanted to use the stock paint to save time, but me being impatient, the top and bottom both got scratched, and the side panel on the left got nicked. Now I get to have tons of fun sanding. I think I may take them to a friend who has a small sand blaster, that should make some quick work of it, then sand it by hand for the primer

Last edited: 11 Mar 2007
  12. sparkyftw

Yay updates today. Some big ones

I got my stuff from MNPCTECH today. Bill was also nice enough to cut my blowhole for me, then he threatened to hurt me cause I didn't pay up (lol Bill in no way threatened me at all, its a joke). Although I did figure out some resistor values on his unmarked resistors (I know the color code by heart)
    So here is what I got:
    Case handles
    6 feet of Uchannel
    20 Fan Grommets
    and a 120mm blowhole with screw holes

[​IMG]

I had to enlarge the holes for the case handles, as I guess I didn't measure right. Easy fix with the dremel. I still have to sand them, as you can see in the picture, to line the edges up. Maybe a nibbler would work for this. Also over the last week I got the top and bottom panels sanded. They aren't sanded for a finish as of yet.

[​IMG]

Speaking of finish, what type of finish should I get? If I paint it, i will probably get myself a paint gun and do it here. Heck I could borrow my uncles for free.

Powdercoating would be an option too, although more expensive.

And finally, I finally too a pic of the fan controller I will be using as of right now. It is a Vantec Nexus.

[​IMG]

13. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

I say call it Project Derelict!

14. sparkyftw

lol but I haven't abandoned it yet.

15. sparkyftw

Minor small stupid update.

I have been working on drawings for the case. I have tons of things I want to do that probably won't work. Anyways I only have to the side panel and the back piece to get everything to fit. I have to pick up some aluminum or steel sheet metal to get the front and back done. I also have to pick up a psu I am going to use to start mocking up the stealthing I am going to do.

I decided since this is going to be a LAN case, I am going to mount the dvd drive, fan controller, and switches at the bottom of the case. I also decided that I want something to accent the black acyrlic front. Since I can get some cheap annodizing, and I love the look of annodized aluminum, I drew up a quick plate and sent it to a machinist. I am getting the plate made pretty cheaply, then it will be sent to my annodizer to get a nice orange coat. The buttons and knobs will be polish to accent the orange and black.

Top 2 holes are for bulgins, bottom 4 are for the nexus fan controller, which will have custom knobs.

[​IMG]

I still have to design the 3-4 fan grills for this thing. The front one I have a small idea for, but the rest I have no idea about. They will all be machined out of 6061 aluminum plate then annodized the same color as the plate. I am also thinking about picking up some rubber case feet from bill and making my own metal sleeves, or maybe make the knobs match bill's feet (haven't decided yet)

I need to get a hard drive cage still, because I don't want a tool less one. HDD will be at the top front of the case. One of the fans will blow over them, and then behind that will be the exhaust fans.

Still have a ton of stuff to order but that should come soon as I should be getting my job back. Finally I will have money again.

16. sparkyftw

[​IMG]

its 1/8 inch 6061 aluminum. it will hold the fan controller and 2 bulgin switches. I am really happy with the outcome but the plastic part of the fan contoller doesn't fit (small sanding and flame polishing will fix it)

I got it custom machined for me out of house (even though I have a mill I could have used). Since the guy had to order the plate, and since there is a minimum order, I am going to get my fan grills and some other stuff threw him. Also there will be a fun suprise with these pieces that I will save till later.

I got my screws to put the case together, to find out they are too big. I am going to drill the rivet holes so they fit, since I plan to use the screws anyways. I hope to get the frame of the case done this week, but we will see how that goes later.

17. sparkyftw

well even though I am angry and poed at this mod (mostly my fault) I am moving foward with it (some how atleast)

I have dropped most of the old plan, and the name. The new plan should be one that most of you should find interesting. As this will be a lan rig and an overclocking, I am going to make some modular parts to it.

Color is going to be the same, but most of this is changing. I have gone too far to turn back though. I have a huge challenge ahead of me, start over a case mod that can't be simply

I have the start to the hardware for this computer. I picked up a DFI SLI-D (amd 939) for pretty cheap.

But Bit-Tech I need YOUR help:
    This mod needs a new name. Nothing too complicated. Something I can put on a fan grill

18. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I always call one of my computers (the one that has the most fans) Wendy :)

19. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

I think u allready have come up with a name by yourself that i think would fit, this is what u wrote:
    I need ideas for the side panels and I think this case needs a name. I don't really have a theme for it. It is just a simple project that will look nice at the LAN parties.

I see 2 names in that text: "No Theme" or "Lan Case" the last one has probably been used before.

By the way i like the fancontroler and bulgin switch plate looks really nice.

Regards.

Last edited: 1 May 2007
  20. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Or Themeless that's pretty cool

Tags: