1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GFX Ram Chip Crushed?, OS Hanging? Bad picture.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by samkiller42, 4 Apr 2007.

1. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Not sure if this is in the right/wrong place, please shift if required, thanks.

Ok, just wanted to ask a quick question, so please bare with me.
    Ive installed a EK waterblock to my 8800GTS, and after getting the system running for about an hour, with no problems, i walk off, and apon returning, find my system had reset its self, and sitting there doing nothing, Blank screen, although still picking up signal. After hitting the reset button i find that when posting that the Motherboards Logo is distorted, and when entering the Bios, the text is odd. Example of text would be "2res2" which does translate into "press"
    When i try and start Vista, as normal, or setting it to start in VGA mode, or Start with last known config, it starts as noral, and once the loading screen finishes, it hangs with the black screen, but the screen still shows that singal is going through, If left long enough, the system will re-boot.
    Loading into safemode is possible (somehow it works) however it will have green and yellow lines running top to bottom of the screen, all the way accross.

After asking a freind what he thought on the problem, we both now think it could be that one of the RAM chips has been crushed accidentally, and therefore the card, being killed :waah:
    Really wanted to know what your thoughts are on this problem.

Thanks in advance

Sam

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Your friend might be right - try loosening the cooler, if possible, and if that doesn't do anything - it's dead. :(

3. samkiller42

Ok, have tried loosening the screws on the block, and no luck.
    Have just tried placing the stock cooler back on the card, and again, no joy, looks like an RMA thing, any idea on how good either XFX or scan.co.uk are on RMA's?

Sam

4. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I'm pretty sure that the XFX warranty is voided by improperly installing the cooler, idk about Scan though as I'm in the US.

5. furqan

furqan What's a Dremel?

RMA it to XFX... they'll send you a new one!

6. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Minimodder

Have you checked the card for any visible damage? If there is then you may have problems RMAing the card.

7. furqan

furqan What's a Dremel?

Judging from his 2nd post, i don't think there is any visual damage, otherwise he would probably know which part broke

8. samkiller42

I have checked for damages or marks, and have not found anything, so hopefully all will be well.

Sam