1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Gaming/Music Headsets

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kurayamino, 31 Mar 2007.

1. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

Hi,
    I currently have a logitech headset which was very cheap, this is replicated in the general sound, build and comfort of the headset.
    Basically im looking for something thats good for Ventrillo/Skype/Teamspeak/General VOIP in game and gives pretty hot sound quality for listening to music. (I dont want much really) :worried:

I've found four sets. Reviews on them all seem pretty good, but that doesnt help me pick out the one for me. Do any of you guys have the following and could give me some feedback on what you think and have experienced when using the headsets?

* Razer Baracude HP1
    * Speedlink Medusa SL8796 (this one isnt likely to be for me. I've since read that the mic isnt actually attached to the headset, instead its designed to be attached to the monitor?)
    * Icemat Siberia
    * Speedlink Medusa SL8793

Im kinda swaying towards to Speedlink Medusa' at the moment or the Icemat Siberia's.

Lemme know that you think!
    Thanks

2. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

The icemats are very good for their price range, mine has always worked great.

3. Kurayamino

I liked them because they're pretty well priced!

4. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

I have the Zalmans which arent listed but the work great for CS:S. I Looked at a pair of Barracudas and they look to be pretty damn sweet. Of course I've never listened to them. Much beefier than the Zalmans though

5. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

I got an icemat from woot or something for only like 15 bucks, I use some fairly nice koss noise canceling ones for music though.

6. crazy55

crazy55 What's a Dremel?

i use plantronics ones similiar to these
    had them for ages, really good too

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What about buying a good pair of cans and a microphone seperate? That'd be the best way imho.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Like a desktop mic or something?

I've been interested in getting a new headset myself, looking at grabbing a X-fi or something and a nice 5.1 headset. I've heard Speedlink's are good

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yeah, some kind of desktop mic, or maybe one of those ones that are a bit like hands-free phone kits and clip to your shirt.

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Actually my gf has got a really good desktop mic, £5 Trust one and it's surprisingly good quality, I bought a slightly different one from the same company and it was awful :/

I may end up going down that route, and using my current headset, a Sennheiser PC150 or something like that, I can use with xbox live.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Been looking around for some headsets, and really like the sound of the medusa headsets, specifically this one on I've seen on scan: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=565170

Pretty cheap at only £30, anyone had any experience of these headphones? Gonna go and have a look for some reviews/info on them. It seems that other models have a removable mic but not this one? I'm not really looking for uber fantastic sound quality here really, but I'd like them to be as good as possible, but since I'm using using nothing special in the sound card department, it would be pointless to waste £200 on some headphones. I'm also not too bothered about mic quality, but again, I'd like it to be as clear as possible, I've had a lot of crappy mics where I've actually had to shout "point blank" at the mic to get any kind of sound from it 8/

12. Giggz

Giggz Minimodder

13. myth

myth What's a Dremel?

Synths 160's are great. I however prefer to keep my mic and head set separate. I use a pair of 595's and a Logitech digital mic.

14. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Go for the stereo rather than 5.1 headsets. I was persuaded by others on the forum and gave the Platronic DSP500's a try, they were excellent (and they come with a mic). Pick yourself up a set, you wont regret it!

15. Kurayamino

LOL they're the one of the ones I was looking at as well.

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

They're pretty damn good price, read a review on trusted reviews, the reviewer said they were better quality than the Zalmans and had a good quality mic, and also cheaper. He said his regular stereo headset was better, but thats because they are an expensive pair.

For £30 they are a steal IMO, I might be picking a pair of them up soon. I would prefer to get a nice sound card and a nice set of 5.1 speakers, but my room really isn't suited for it, and I also don't have the money :p

17. Kurayamino

Ok cheers dude, also thanks for the linkage, might order those in a minute. If I get them before you, if you like I'll let you know what there like

18. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I've been using a Speedlink Medusa for a while now and have no problems with it. Works well with my X-Fi as well. Bass vibration makes me a bit nauseous though. I blame the music :p

19. Kurayamino

Does the Speed-Link MEDUSA 5.1 ProGamer Headphones + Mic 3.5mm connection + desktop AMP [SL-8790] have the vibrate thing? Or am I thinking of one of there other models?

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

One of the other models has super vibration mode, but anything with a lot of bass, like Call of Duty with all it's big explosions, will probably cause quite a bit of vibrating.

Tags: