1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Statistics reveal increase of RSI in children

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Apr 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Ive been using computers constantly for years and ive not got any of this RSI crap. I think it only really happens to people who never use any other fingers than their index finger to type with. Touch typing should be taught in school to prevent RSI.

I dont see as many kids playing tennis/football ect as when i was a kid. its probably due to the fact that they get ASBO's wherever they hang out so they dont go out anymore

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I know I am affected by this digital culture, I basically have a wrist support on 24/7 (except when I'm working as I wash dishes w00t)
    Although I still actually leave the house occasionally. Though no falling out of trees or bike accidents... yet.

The worlds becoming too PC and wanting to "protect" the children, that playing outside will soon be deemed too dangerous. Pfft, when my parents were younger, the played with grenades and weapons (well my dad anyway) and were outside all the time climbing trees and playing rough sports, did they hurt themselves? constantly, did it kill them? no.

Last edited: 4 Apr 2007
  4. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

you think its computer games and not constant uninterrupted txt messaging thats causing RSI? ;)

although my wrists used to hurt after marathon 4 hour sessions of RTCW MP
    until i a got a bendy ergonomic natural keyboard wotsit :p
    however i doubt enough kids do that sort of thing to cause a statistical rise like that

5. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Txting would be a huge cause of RSI more so than consoles or computers, very repetitive action and some people send too many txts, (I send about 1000 a month to one person, don't txt anyone else, I get 2000 txts for $10NZ so wasting half of 'em but I wouldn't use the rest anyway.)
    I know people who have two or even 3 mobiles so they can send enough txts and they still run out.

6. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

I have been using many different keyboards and mice, both on laptops and desktops - for many hours a day, and I have not had any problems except for one week - and that was because the chair I was using was too low for the table with the mouse, resulting in some uncomfortable posturing to use it normally.

So it is either bad posture or texting.

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'll admit that i'm a constant pc user, both at work and at home - never used an ergonomic keyboard and I play consoles and DS all the time. Despite all this I've never stopped going out surfing or tree climbing and I've never had any sign of RSI myself. On top of this, I'm surrounded by Geeks at work and at home and the only person I've known to have RSI was a painter who never touched a PC in his life.

Enough to make you think these teenagers are damaging their wrists OTHER ways. :O

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

XD

I think what the daily mail are really trying to get at, is not that gaming is bad because you get RSI, but this is somehow proof that more people coup themselves up indoors playing games instead of doing exercise outside. Although I would say this isn't proof that more people are staying indoors gaming at all, I would agree that most of these RSI cases are from texting, not from gaming.

9. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I blame Eddie Gordo.

10. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

I've suffered from chronic tendonitis in my forearms & wrists for a while now.. im not really sure what brought it on either.. one day i was out mowing the lawn and then i came inside and my hands never stopped hurting :-/

11. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

well with all this bad gaming "advertising" you would think we would all be dead

12. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

The way RSI is phrased is that everyone gets it if they do things too much, but I've been using computers for ages and I write a lot all day and I've never had it.

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i usually swap hands when i use my mouse to rest one hand... i wuv my intellimouse optical. :D

14. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

Is it just me or does 600 cases of RSI seem to be almost statistically insignificant? What is the criteria for this number? Is it cases of RSI in adolescents worldwide?

15. NaThRo

NaThRo What's a Dremel?

The only time I've ever had a RSI was when I worked in a geotechnical lab as my first job... Compacting dirt samples, fun... I've now been working in an office for almost 4 years and I've never had any kind of RSI here.

A friend of mine can't use computers for any more than an hour or two a day 'cause she has chronic RSI from using them to much a number of years ago... I've never seen it in anyone else though.

I choose to blame games for RSI in the youth of today... Only because it's what the smart, PHD, kind of people blame and I want to appear intelligent too... *giggle*

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I'm on my way to a world class case of it from work, but it has nothing to do with using a computer. I would also go with the txting theory, especially looming at all the RSI cases caused over here by Crackberries before txting caught on over there. Those stupid little kepyads are hard on the hands!

17. RevolMidnight

RevolMidnight What's a Dremel?

I've done data entry for over 10 years, typing up to 25000 keys per hour. Most I've ever gotten was a cramp. I think all these people that get injuries from "stress" from playing games or typing are the kind of people that would be injured doing just about anything.

18. tacticus

tacticus What's a Dremel?

Only time I get rsi is using the horrible mouse at work :(

my solution I brought my own mouse into work for when I am on the computer
    stupid software not taking imputs from the kb

though I have found that I only get the pain in my right thumb

19. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

"injuries caused by children falling out of trees are down by 35%, while bike-riding accidents are also down by 22%."
    but it wont matter if they all get diabetes or heart disease by the time they are 20. heres the most recent stats i could find on us children.

Increase in Obesity Prevalence (%)
    Among U.S. Children (Ages 6 to 11)

Boys Girls
    1999 to 2000 16 14.5
    1988 to 1994 11.6 11
    1971 to 1974 4.3 3.6

and then the 12-19 year olds
    Males Females
    1999 to 2000 15.5 15.5
    1988 to 1994 11.3 9.7
    1971 to 1974 6.1 6.2

you surely cant blame electronics for the increase as a whole, but in addition to poor diet, lack of exercise is a major contributor to these numbers. i hate to think what the more recent stats look like.

20. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

Problem is that schools are not legally bound to providing any suitable equipment as the students are under the age of 18, therefore they give the children the cheapest possible equipment with abosultly no adjustment. Back in the day i had a simple plastic seat that was found in any classroom (that was only just over 2 years ago).

Tags: Add Tags