1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Drives: Spinpoint's or Barracuda's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mother-Goose, 1 Apr 2007.

1. myth

myth What's a Dremel?

Spinpoints are old tech. 7200.10's use perpendicular recording that helps the drive maintain a constant though put of data. They are considerable faster then a Spinpoint and have a better Quality track record. 4 of my 12 HDD's are 7200.10 and they are very quiet and cool! (maybe depends on model?) I also have 6WD, 2 Spinpoints and 2 Deathstars... The only time you can hear the Seagates is when they seek and it's not that bad. Well worth it when you consider the performance you gain.

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

From all the opinions voiced I am still going to go with the spin points I think, I've discounted the 7200.10s due to recent ones being a bit noisier.

I will do a bit more research into the deathstars but I think the spinpoints have it.

3. section8

section8 What's a Dremel?

hello matey, gooser hurry up man!!!!! my barra's are quite as mate... seagates and spinpoints i have had before but the seagates are faster... in general day to day... mine aint even in raid yet...

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'd go for Barracuda, but you've made your mind already so that's cool.

But instead about the RMA-stuff in the last page. If my Seagates brake up during the warranty ofcourse I'll get them RMA'd. The changes are that they do not have ther old and tiny models then, so I'll get a larger one ;) My oldest drive is maybe 2 years old 7200.7 (I guess) and I'm pretty sure if it now decides to break up, I'll get a newer .8 or dare to say .10 model...

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I can vouch for the 7200.10s. Got two of them, one died almost immediately with next to no use, must have been dodgy stock. But apart from that, no problems at all

Quite nippy too.

Taht being said, spinpoints and barracudas are both good drives, whichever you chose you've got yourself a nice drive.

6. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Minimodder

I've got 2 7200.10 drives, a 500 and 250, the 250 for me is quiet but the 500 is well much noisier. I've tried WD drives and from my experience they didn't perform as well as Seagate, never tried a Sammy, maybe next time.