1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti virus. Who else doesn't bother.

Discussion in 'General' started by djDEATH, 22 Mar 2007.

1. ZenX

ZenX How are you gentlemen?

A default Ubuntu Linux install is also a very easy target for hackers/crackers and whatnot. Though they can do very little harm without the root priviliges, I'd suggest everyone with a Linux server to check their iptables settings. Many, many ports open out-of-the-box

Still, GNU/Linux is very secure compared to Windows. And if you are so scared of viruses, switch to OS/2 Warp :D Shouldn't need to worry about viruses anymore :p

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've got a software firewall and nothing more for all of my computers - home fileserver, Vista box that never gets used, Macbook Pro, and Thinkpad running OSx86. Normally it's a hardware firewall a la router, but I'm at school (I'm sure they've got one in place, but I don't control it so it doesn't count). You get viruses from doing stupid things; I know better. Worms and trojans are a different story, but by running a firewall of sorts and keeping the OS patched, it's a non-issue.

And not only does my computer run faster because it's not bogged down with an AV, it's also devoid of crapware.

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

What he said /\

I'ce got a hardware firewall on my router, use Opera exclusively, have Spybot with Teatimer on all my machines, and my primary desktop is a linux box. I've only ever had one virus and that was my own stupid fault.

AV software is in principal a good thing, especially for all the technology "have nots" out there, but for the "haves" it's generally unecessary. I don't like how the big AV vendors try to constantly scare their users into upgrades and additpnal products.

4. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

I use Nod32+windows firewall. ZERO viruses. No spyware either. Opera.

5. The-Real-Game

The-Real-Game What's a Dremel?

No firewall or anything here, I just trust my routers built in stuff, though I probably shouldn't..

6. gar

gar Minimodder

I got rid of Norton from my laptop instead of buying extra ram. Haven't had any probs, so far.

7. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

IMO if you know what you're doing you don't need AV. A fully patched version of XP runs beautifully with the built-in firewall. :)

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I run AVG but not religiously - if i think about it after a fresh install then i'll put it on, otherwise im not bothered. Being careful about where you browse and what you download is the best defence against virii.

I rarely ever get warned about viruses, if i recall only once in the past year or so.

9. nachofault

nachofault What's a Dremel?

...wrong forum, sorry.

10. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I have it installed, but disabled. I just scan the odd thing manually that may be a bit dodgy.
    No point having it going all the time unless you really do have no idea what your doing.