1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling No fan Water Cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Enak, 13 Aug 2002.

1. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Has anyone tried watercooling without a fan on the radiator?

If so, how effective is it?

2. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

depends on the size of ur radiator.....alot of times people just use a large resivor and just forget the entire radiator....

3. mctoby

mctoby What's a Dremel?

this is the way to do it look at project stealth here: zerofanzone

4. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

I was kinda thinking of keeping a self contained system... the ground tank is a bit much really! :lol:

5. haakon_d

haakon_d What's a Dremel?

If you are planning to run without fan(s) you can not, and I repeat NOT run a overclocked athlon processor. They simply enough produce too much heat. A chassis without fans will be very hot, no matter what you do (except if you do it like Bladerunner on zero-fan-zone) or things like a radiator outside the window. LAN parties is ofcourse a problem then. It is hopeless to mount a small rad (like black ice) in top of your cab. It'll be very hot... but I am sure that if you mount a big-ass car radiator that fills the whole side of your cab it'll work without fans, but then again.. it looks like hell .... I'll wish you good luck.. try things out..
    I ran a hayden676 with 2 enermax fans tuned DOWN.... it was pretty nice...

6. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Another method...

Well I've taken another method for my Server PC (still undecided on my main PC).

I've purchased a Zalman flower heatsink.

Installation was a breeze and the system seems happy running with no fan... I only have to sort out the power supply as it's a Flex ATX system with a tiny power supply and has a tiny fan in that.. makes too much noise.

As it is, without the CPU fan, it's halved the noise.

7. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

yea thats ur best bet for a low fan system, is the flower......just replace the ps fan with a quieter one....

8. dreamie

dreamie What's a Dremel?

i have tried running a water rig without fan.. the rad becoms so hot that it is painful to touch it.. the water in my big res too...

my WC stuff:
    Waterblock: Silverprop Cyclone 5
    Radiator: Silverprop Big Arse (Silver Storm 4) Radiator
    Pump: EHEIM 1250

Running submerged ATM.

9. Renko

Renko What's a Dremel?

I've been watercooling an athlon 850@1000 for about 4 months without any fans. I simply use a large reservoir, about 2 - 3 gallons and cpu temps don't go above about 30 - 35C compared with 45 - 55 with hs cooling.

10. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Depends on your CPU too, it'd be more concievable to do to a celeron or PIII than say a Tbird 1.4.

But then if it's the silent route you're after, and this is your reasoning behind the question, a decent 120mm fan at 5 or 7volt is going to be as quiet as your HDD, pump and/or PSU fan.

11. weazel666

weazel666 What's a Dremel?

i haven't been using fans for nearly over a year on a 1.4 thunderbird also watercooling the chipset&gpu and i've had no significant problems .. think there is the myth that u need big ass fans on ur rads to perform right .. altho most rads are not designed for just passive cooling

12. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

how exactly is your radiator cooled?? or is just a big azz mofo??

13. weazel666

i use passive cooling .. large .. err yeah it's sort of big . not ur conventional rad type of thing tho .. 4-5 foot tower of copper tubing .. doesn't use alot of floor space tho max 8" x 8" base max .. .. i don't have a cam at the mo .. i'd have to dig an old pic out . but got no where to host stuff .. always used to keep me around 30-35c max .. it's currently in pieces tho cos i'm doing modifications to it .. plumbers 15mm pipe soldered into a tall hexegon type of shape and works like a heater core .. well on the same principle of spreading the channels of water around so they pass slower through the pipe and give more time to cool stuff

14. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

yea he was talking about making a small zero fan system.......that large radiator would be hard to drag to a lan party :hehe:

15. weazel666

yeah but u don't really need alot to keep ur machine stable, rad wise .. well that's what i've seamed to realise ... u could still sticka rad on the side of ur case .. pritty big on .. but i recon it should cool adicuatly

16. jamicon

jamicon What's a Dremel?

on my old TbIRD not tbred =) 900@1000 (wohoo!)

specs:

160x160 radiator
    240 L/h (wohoo!)
    homemade PVC cap glued to copper block (feel the cheapness)

i got the same performance from the system with a 80CFM 120mm 240v PAPST beast as i did with a 80mm running 7v

with no fan the temps only went up about 10 degrees, but the pipes became squidgy (silicon pipes, felt like i had put em in hot water)

edited by Haddy......

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Aug 2002
  17. weazel666

wher is ur rad positioned exacly? what rad u talking here?

if the pipes get a bit soft it will be ok .. unless u don't have any pipe clips on them ..

i asume ur playing with a old slot athlon there .. i could never get mine stable on air .. the stupid casing they stuck on it ... u taken the covering off? .. when i took mine of ... u could see the **** thermal plastery thing they had stuck on ... half of the chip wasn't even in contact with enything ..... oh well praise the lord for XP2000's ..lol

Last edited: 21 Aug 2002
  18. jamicon

jamicon What's a Dremel?

my radiator is placed at the bottom of the case, mounted vertically. and it is NOT a slot athlon, its one of the good old bbqing socket A Thunderbird (back in the days of the AXIA chips)
    and i had been using a 80mm on 7v because it made no extra noise (the HDDs, 2 blue orbs, and PSU were noisy)

19. weazel666

oh sorry my mistake .. opps .. i didn't think there where socket versions below 1 gig .. oh well i know now .. i must have missed them

u tryed the rad sat outside ur case to compare or with the side pannel of ur case? just to see if it improves temps?

20. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

I live next to a fast moving river :D Build a frame thingy out of galvanised steel to hold an old CO2 tank and mount it in the fast moving stream... You could cool anythin' with that!

Tags: