1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time For An Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tibby, 17 Apr 2007.

1. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Hey guys,

I am having a few problems with my PC, and it is ever since putting in my a8n-sli deluxe.

Now I bought this board second hand, but I am thinking of getting a new one.

Can anyone recommend a s939 mobo with SLi, or if I should go to AM2 seeing prices are low?

Cheers

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

To be honest, if you have the money, you should just go C2D.

Going to AM2 would be a good solution on a budget, but you do have to buy DDR2 for the thing, so you will probably be able to push that budget a little bit further for a much faster rig. :)

3. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

What he said basically, given that the C2D stuff has a heck of a lot more grunt behind it.

If you really can't stretch the cash too far then you may have to go AM2, which isn't too shabby really. Have built a few AM2 systems for people recently and they were quite powerful. Put the PC in my sig to shame.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's a good point Behemoth - C2D might be the performance king, but AM2 is by no means a slow setup imho - I've built a few and they've felt very quick.

5. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

well I have about £900 on top of my £1k student loan to live on for rest of semester, but I would like money left over for holidays and stuff.

Maybe I should just get another s939 board?

6. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

There aren't that many places now that sell decent 939 boards new. If you really want to save money then your best bet is to go down the AM2 road because I suspect your gfx card is fine.

All you'll have to get is DDR2 ram, an AM2 motherboard and an AM2 CPU. your 939 gear should sell quite well depending on what it is so you could most likely get at least half the money back you spent on buying the new bits, so in reality, a really cheap upgrade :)

7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

939 boards are still availible at overclockers.co.uk
    and at scan.co.uk

but whether to upgrade or not depends on what your current specs are and what you want to do with them

8. TMM

TMM Modder

If you're only running a single core 939, get an AM2 board some cheap ddr667 and a 3600+ X2 and overclock it to tide you over until C2D/K10. Otherwise, if you have a dualcore already - DFI Lanparty NF4 ;) (better be quick, looks like OCUK only have a few left).

9. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

my current specs are:
    AMD 3500+
    2GB Geil Ram
    Nvidia 7900GS
    Hiper Type R modular PSU

10. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

I'd go AM2 with a 3800+ X2 if I were you. However, if I were me, I'd definitely go C2D. >:D