1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Gaming mice shoot-up

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Apr 2007.

1. LoveJoy

LoveJoy What's a Dremel?

dum di dum... waiting something new from logitech

2. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

Anybody have the OCZ equalizer? or atleast have any of you bit-tech employees tested it with CS (CS:S or 1.6)

I am just curious how good/bad it is in CS, because that seems like it could be very useful for m4 bursts and even medium range ak shots (depending on the delay between each of the 3 clicks)

EDIT: on the deathadder, how is it size wise? i've personally always found small mice like that to be a pain when playing for extended periods.. (it looks like the logitech 310 I think it is, which was a small small mouse )

Last edited: 18 Apr 2007
  3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Ditto. I still haven't seen a Bit-Tech review with a logitech mouse yet. :( (Although I haven't checked recently).

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

5. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I myself prefer the MX518, the placement of the buttons is perfect, (except the alt-tab, but I never use that.)
    The resolutions are perfect, 400 for sniping, 800 for chasing people with knifes or guns, and 1600 for faster responses from tanks and AAs.
    Never liked the Razers

6. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I'm left-handed. I've been using an MX518 for quite a while, but when it breaks, I'm going to get the MX 610 left-hand edition. I'm not the biggest fan of wireless mice, but seriously ticking off anyone who tries to use my PC is so worth it. I love my 518, though. Light as a feather, slick as greased ice, and generally perfect for FPS action.

I'm with r4tch3t, I've never liked the Razers. They're too flat for my mousing style, they make my hand cramp up.

7. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

I have gone through many mice. Microsoft Explorer, then a razer fan since they started, then the microsoft laser mosue 6000, and then recently when Logitech did a second version of the G5 I got it.

Greatest mouse ever. Comfortable, weight system, on the fly sensetivity switch NOT through software, up to 2000dpi, not a smooth scroll....etc..

Best mouse ever.

8. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

As i don't play many FPS games, i use the Logitech MX Revolution. I had the G5 but it's broke and after holding the MX, the G5 feels so rough and uncomfortable now. Also the extra buttons on the MX shine when remapped for use in WoW.

The DeathAdder looks good as i always found Razers too flat before, so it may be a good medium.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The triple click button on the equaliser is good for giving little bursts, but bear in mind that it'll still give recoil. Personall I find it easier just to double click as normal, gives you a little more control.

Sizewise, the death adder is about normal size, with ultra large buttons. A little bigger than the Microsoft intelli i think.

10. Tyr

Tyr Minimodder

Anyone had a look at

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1265679

They used a 'real' mouse review system which tests the sensor's performance accurately. I think this is better than a subjective system as it will very greatly from one person to an other.

MX518 came out on top out of the box but some cheap mice on OCed USB ports performed insanely.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

While it's great to see someone attempting to quantify benchmarking mice, do you move your mouse in only one direction? ;)

12. Tyr

Tyr Minimodder

It measures the sensor's performance, you can clamp the mouse for use in any direction. Still have not really got the change of direction performance quantified though...

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

Sudden changes in direction are probably the most important thing for a mouse -- it's responsiveness to a change in direction. The ESReality 'benchmark' measures sensor throughput or bandwidth, nothing more, from what I can tell.

What you would need is a record player that does half a revolution before changing direction (and then back again after another half-rev). That would be a more realistic, but still 'scientific'.

14. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I know i might be burned at the stake for saying this, but i use a Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2 and i think it is the best thing since sliced bread. It has just the right size and shape to fit into my palm comfortably, allowing me to rest my hand on it and the weight is perfect, as i find that im not as accurate with lighter mice. The two thumb buttons are placed so that my thumb rests on them at all times. The non-clicky scroll wheel does take a while to get used to, but its ok once you do. My only real gripe with the mouse is that the center button is difficult to press and the "rocking" of the wheel is very awkward, so i never use it. My question is, Is it wrong to use a Microsoft mouse for gaming? :p

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Not at all, use whats right for you.

Trackballs on the other hand are evil, I saw two of three being used for FPSs at i30 and had to restrain myself.

16. krimson

krimson What's a Dremel?

im a fan of the mx518. got it about 2 years ago and never thought about updrading since... i was never a guy who gave a crap about stuff like this.. "a mouse is a mouse" but once i got the chance to change my dpi, and have all sorts of buttons, i love it.

there would have to be a pretty amazing mouse for me to give up my 518, and none of these are it!
    but, good write up anyways!

17. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

peripherals are one of the great dividers of the computer enthusiast population, everyone has unique preferences, and we generally can't seem to understand how others can do it any differently than we do.

IMO the best input device period is the touchscreen (with stylus).

my friend has a Wacom Cintiq (which he guards as if it were his own heart) and I've been looking for one that doesn't cost an arm and leg ever since he let me try it. (with zero luck)

18. Nuhaus

Nuhaus What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, how to use the Wacom for CS? :)

Just a note for anyone wanting to use the Razer Deathadder in BF2. You cannot reassign the buttons like you can for a Logitech mouse. Further, pressing on the scroll wheel button makes your avatar do a 180 (is this useful? you tell me, I just find it wacky and annoying). The sensitivity of this device in comparison to a G7 or MX518 is really amazing however, so if you really care about your gaming I highly recommend it.

19. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

it might be worth telling anyone thinking about upgrading to a gaming mouse dont expect instant improvments infact expect the opposite, it took me a while to get used to the faster movements with a 1600dpi mouse let alone a 2000dpi laser. there is a benifit but you have to learn to use it.

20. Major

Major Guest

G7 ***!

Tags: Add Tags