1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Puzzlebox 2.0 The Second Coming

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 20 Apr 2007.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Looks cool, but I'm confused. If it's sponsered by Alphacool, then where's the Watercooling? :worried:

3. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

there are many ways to sponsor it doesnt have to be hardware.

4. Zombie

Zombie What's a Dremel?

It's a shame the sequel's never as good as the original

The red plastic looks cheap and tacky in comparison to the subtlety of the original.

5. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Being brutally honest... but I don't like it at all. It seems messy and lacks the class that other mods I've witnessed over the years have possessed.

So in my opinion. its gone the way of most sequels.

6. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I'm going to agree with will. on this one.
    It's a little on the side of tacky, oh yeah, and what was with the gawd awful music in the background of that youtube video?

7. [WP@]WOLVERINE

I dont agree at all that the case looks cheap and tacky i just dont see that at all but i guess we all have our preferences. I spent alot of hard work to get this case looking the way it does and im very happy with the result.
    This is a mod of its own and should not be compared to my old one, sure it shares the same theme as my old one but like i said i made this because i wanted to get alot of ideas out that i didnt have the means to do before and to do something different. As for the remark on my taste in music i wont comment on that since it has nothing to do with the mod.

8. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

I sort of agree with the general opinions so far. While it is a nice looking case, I can't get over the fact that it looks a bit like an older style desktop with a CRT on top of it.

Does the case light up at all? I think with a subtle red pulsing light, it may add that sinister feeling to the system.

Either way, Congrats on the good mod :)

9. [WP@]WOLVERINE

Yes it does light up but due to my camera beeing worthless i couldnt get any good nightshots but in the dark all the red plexi has a subtle red glow. Im getting a new camera next week so maybe i can post a few nightshots then.

10. A Murder of Crows

A Murder of Crows What's a Dremel?

ack! that CNC stuff sounds EXACTLY like what i need! I really like how good the side panels turned out with that, and how you got a proper cube shape.

i'll pm you later, you just answered a bunch of questions on how i can do what i need to do, now i just need contacts and prices :)

THANK YOU!!!

11. kempez

kempez modding again!

I'm not a big fan of the looks of this mod but I respect the effort gone into it. Just wish I had the cash to get some CNC'ing done :(

12. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Having never seen the movies (I'm not at all a fan of horror movies) I have never seen the puzzle box this is modeled after. Therefore the engraving on the first one reminded me a little of the star maps you see in the SG-1 headquarters and the red on the second one reminds me of some ornate Chinese decorations - OK, so I'm weird -shrug-

Perhaps the fact that you have the least visually complex side towards the front makes it less attractive to some people. As long as you're happy with the result: :clap: Well done. Either way it looks well built.

I've been looking at similar LCDs. I'm curious as to how you like the one you are using.

13. [WP@]WOLVERINE

The Lcd works really well it has good resolution and the touchscreen works perfect. But there is always the issue of breakdown since a retractable lcd has alot of moving parts and i dont know how long that will hold up. I guess only time can answer that one.

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

1st the mod: Good craftmanship, not as innovative as the first mod and IMHO not as good as well. Not saying it's bad, just not as good as your first cube. I'd love to see the night shots to make my final judgement.

2nd the music: Reminds me of Marylin Manson...

15. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

I really like it, although it would have been nicer if the guts of the pc were inside the box, it seems like wasted space on your desk. I love that cnc work, need to get me one of those :D

16. Lemur 6

Lemur 6 What's a Dremel?

All I can say is... ouch...

That looks like one hell of a long torturous CNC job (how fitting to the case theme eh?). You could've gotten that laser cut in a matter of minutes, and probably pretty cheap and with a better edge finish too.

I do have to commend the machinist for going through such an ordeal. I can just imagine the cracking... the painfully slow feed rates to prevent cracking... the tiny tiny diameter mill bits... oh the horrors!

17. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I preffer the original.

18. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

not liking that mod to much tbh, great work though and excellent skill.

19. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

My dislike of red makes me biased about the looks, but the craftmanship by itself is worth a load of kudos already. I think it's a very nice mod. And I also think In Flames is an OK band :p

20. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

I thank you for your condolences :hehe: Yeah the milling was a serious pain in the a**, but seeing the excellent result of this mod is almost compensation enough... almost... :) I'm loving the mod. Brilliant!

Tags: Add Tags