1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Project] - [Kliin] - Update: 8/5 | Grill design/Random work

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mr-IK, 11 Apr 2007.

1. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

Hey to all of you bit-tech'ers!

So I've been lurking around the forums for a while, as this is the modding site i find most inspiring :lol:

So here's a bit about me and ofc. the project i will be working on! Im 18 years old and live in Denmark ***. Im currently a student, and i do not have access to alot of fancy tools! I'm basically doing all of this is my room, using standard hand-tools like a jigsaw, a dremel, and stuff like that!

Anyway, the project im starting on is supposed to be project where i can gain some experience, and therefore, I'd like to cover as many different aspects of modding as i possibly can :) I hope the results will be reasonable, as i don't have a lot of experience as it is!

The mod!
    Well, the name "Kliin" (like clean) should be indicating, i want a "stylish" and simple/minimalistic mod as possible. Clean lines, max 2 color combinations, and a not too complicated look. I made some sketches in SketchUp, and i think they talk for themselves, but as the kinda human being i am, ill tell you what i think about it! :clap:

The victim!
    [​IMG]
    [I borrowed this picture from a danish site, as i couldnt find it on Google *moan*] An old Asus midi-tower! Dont you just love the beige and blue colors together? *shiver*

First sketch
    [​IMG]
    Ok, this was the first sketch i made. I planned to brush of the sides, and make 'em all shiny/chrome like. I got this idea from the [Orange monster] worklog, where i noticed you can make a chrome-like look with a little sanding! Anyway, i started on the top of the case and this was the result. NOTE! I only had grid 1000 paper for the wet-sanding:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Somehow, i think result is a bit hard to rely on. It's obviously not finished, and getting this part done was just not satisfying :sigh: Anyway! this shall not be the end of this mod! So here i bring you my new improved plans:

The new plan!
    A few angle shots, with some explanations:
    [​IMG]
    Overview of the case. A bit hard to see bit the surface is supposed to be white.

[​IMG]
    Front shot. Still the plexi plate in the front. I plan on bending some plexi with the same outline as the PC, and then attach it from a distance with bolts so it looks kinda floating!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of the sides. Big plexi window so far. Im not very sure this will be the final design for that part, but i need to think of something better :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    The back. Nothing special. Will try to brush the grey paint of the case in order to get a metal look.

Ok, so here's an overview of my project, and what i need to do:
    * Paint the outside white
    * Sand down the inside/back in order to get a metallic, or even chrome look
    * Make a window panel, so that you can look into the PC
    * Bend a big plate of plexi-glas around the PC and mount it 5cm from the case in order to get a "floating" look
    * Stealth the front of my PC
    * Make some kind of engravement (perhaps mesh logo?) on the big bended plexi plate
    * Sleeve/mod/tune my components depending on the system i choose
    * Id like to have some sort of home made lighting inside the PC. This way i can get some of my freshly aquired electronics gear in use.
    * More more more! I will decide as the mod evolves

Ok! Enough for one post. Ill post some of my actual work in the next one :)

- Mr IK!

Last edited: 8 May 2007
  2. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

Enough rambling! The pictures are self-explanatory hehe :naughty: :

[​IMG]
    The big panel.

[​IMG]
    Some simple bolts i plan to use to mount the panel onto the computer

[​IMG]
    Preparing to cut. Bought a cheap jigsaw and some pretty decent blades! They were actually very expensive :S But i hope they do the job.

[​IMG]
    They did brilliant! Max 0,5mm off the track.

[​IMG]
    Sanding the inside just to see how much work it will require.

[​IMG]
    This is what it looks like with some rough grid 240 grinding! I actually think this could be pretty nice with some chilled blue/green lights and some wet-sanding.

3. gar

gar Minimodder

Hi!
    Looks like you have the makings if a great project there. It looks like you putting a decent effort in.
    The design is perfect of that case imo. The original look of the case aint nicE though!
    All the best. Keep us up to date with the progress! :)

4. davidbacsik

davidbacsik What's a Dremel?

This is my kinda mod! Clean, white, shiny plasticy! I'm really liking that front plexi, I may have to steal that when I get around to modding a case, if that's alright with you. (I also like the side plexi, just not my cup o' tea for my planned mod). My one suggestion is that that you go with a less agressive fan grill. The tribal-y design breaks up the cleanness of the case IMHO. Maybe something with simple circles? I think a plain metal outline around the hole would look pretty awesome.

5. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

:gasp: that better not be a logysis psu! or any other clear psu!

6. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

Hi all thank you for replying!

@Gar: I will keep you up to date when i get more work done :O)

@DavidB: Ofc. you can borrow the design :O). And note the design is temporary. The grill 'n stuff will be bought/made as i find out how it'll fit best.

@Zhang: The PSU is opaque because i made a few tiny single-part mods and i have a PSU with a clear cover somewhere :). But last night i got to think that i might have to paint the original cover white like the rest of the mod. I'll update when i get home from school, and post my system spec's.

To be honest, i planned to use an old system with spare parts, as this is kind of a test mod. But if this turns out nicely, i might put my real computer into it :O)!

7. th3ory

th3ory What's a Dremel?

i like this mod so far, simple and clean, i like what u've done with the top fan grill, with the plexi, i did that myself on an old mod like that, but it was on the front of the case, it looked good, til i changed my mind and it went lol

is that pink plexi ur using?
    nice lol

8. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

Its not! Its clean plexi with pink protection foil :p

9. th3ory

th3ory What's a Dremel?

ehhhh

clear plexi is overrated

j/k lol

10. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

I dont think i can buy pink plexi in Denmark :p

11. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

Small saturday update :)

Im sorry for the quality of some of the pictures... Most have been in a hurry ;D Anyway, here it goes!

[​IMG]
    I've bought some paint i plan to use on the case, but i wanted to test it out on different surfaces first, in order to see what looks best. This surface is 50/50 raw, and sanded down with a grid 240. On the picture the 2nd layer has just been applied. White glossy ;)

[​IMG]
    Preparing to make the big plexi panel :) Was very exited cause im not very skilled when it comes to bending plexi.

[​IMG]
    The outcome :) Pretty good imo!

[​IMG]
    It's not completely 90 degree angled yet.

[​IMG]
    So i took an old compaq case in use in order to straigthen it out.

[​IMG]
    Here i made both the curves. I'm 80% happy with the result, as the small piece at the buttom went pretty wrong. I managed to save some of the miscalculations, and ofc. the picture makes it look unstable, because the big part is on top. I think it will look way better when i put in on. Besides, i havent worked on the plexi yet. I wanna do something to the edges, and maybe engrave something into it :)

AND BTW!!!! I removed the protective foil first, it is just hanging loose in order to protect the rest of the plate :D

[​IMG]
    The painted parts after 2 layers have been applied. Not a very good picture im affraid!

More updates tomorrow i hope :) Planning to paint the rest of the case, and sanding it all down on the inside.

12. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

Hi again everyone!

Phew, some time since i last updated. Unfortunately (or well...) i had to buy a festival ticket 2 days after i started on this project, and alot of the money i had planned on using on the mod were spent :D

But after my birthday i got a new injection of cool cash and i bought some paint n stuff today. I've been busy writing examn-papers that past 2 weeks so my time has also been limited. However, it's clearing up and i got the next week or two for modding.

I started on some small things today just to get back in the modding mood! Again, sorry for the pictures. Im really trying to get a new camera since this one have a hard time focussing on ANYTHING thats not exactly 1m away :p

Anyway! Here's where i left last time:
    [​IMG]
    Bought some paint, some metal drills, some sandpaper and some new bolts.

[​IMG]
    Im planning to use my new bolts on the bended plexi along the sides to give it some more stability. The old ones were too thin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ok, so i had to get the top of the PC so i could paint the rest of the case. Luckily this went pretty smooth. The metal drill i bought ripped up those poor metal fittings (not the right word im sure). I drilled about 10 of these out and voila the top came off without a struggle.

[​IMG]
    Ok, so i need to prepare these parts for the painting session.

[​IMG]
    Time for some sanding *zzZzZzZz*

[​IMG]
    Ok, this definately looks better in real life. But on purpose, im using some thin layers with the black color (its not glossy like the white on the outside btw.). It's really hard to paint the entire case without "shooting" through some small holes and make double/tripple layers. So this'll just have to take the time it takes! Besides, im not painting all the sides that wont be seen in the first place. The metal bars at the sides are not painted so i have something to grab onto for the first layer or 2 :p

[​IMG]
    And tomorrows task will be to get these 2 painted + cutting a new front panel! I allready sanded them down and washed them clean so it wont be too much of a hazzle!

I really hope i can get myself together and make some decent updates again tomorrow :clap:

13. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Make sure you paint those unpainted sides of the chassis well though, the paint comes off those spots easiest due to the sliding mechanisms of the doors. It will need to withstand some serious duty.

14. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Can I suggest something? I know you've already planned the mod and such, but yeah...

The original bezel has some nice curves in it, so have you thought about simply keeping that bezel and sort of molding the side panels and such to fit in with it? All everybody seems to do nowadays is get an old case, scrap the bezel and give it a flat acrylic bezel. In a sense, all modded cases are beginning to look the same.

So, if you didn't get that. Just shape the side panels+top panel with bondo or whatever so there's a smooth transition between bezel and panels - I reckon it could look pretty sweet in the end.

Though, it's still up to you.

15. mario_cell

mario_cell What's a Dremel?

Maybe I couldnt find it, but how will the plexi go around the case?
    Nice work so far :dremel:

16. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

Thank you all for the replies!

The plexi will be fitted onto the case with some bolts. So it will kind of "float" around the PC.

@Duste; Im not quite sure what youre on about :) Are you telling me, removing the panels completely and fitting the plexi straigth onto the PC would be cool :S? (Whats a bezel etc :p)

@Mario_cell; The plexi will go around the case as you can see on the top sketch up pictures. I was to lazy to add the bolts to the picture so its actually floating around there.

My english isnt flawless :p

EDIT:::----
    If you mean the top plate i took off last night as "the bezel", i can inform you im not planning to throw it away :) Im painting it. But its a mess if i have to paint it while its still on the case, as im also painting the inside.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2007
  17. mario_cell

mario_cell What's a Dremel?

a bezel is a front panel :)

18. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

Ah oh ok hehe ^^

Well, i still have the front panel, but it's pretty damn ugly. Ill try too look into it, perhaps get a nice idea on how to fit it into the current style.

19. Bas van der Werff

Bas van der Werff What's a Dremel?

indeed the old front is but ugly, by the way those meytal fittings are called rivets.
    Keep up the good work :thumb:

20. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

I'll draw up a quick sketch tomorrow to explain what I mean. Also, it's probably not your understanding of English, just my bad explaining. ;)