1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling need info about waterchillers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by weazel666, 19 Aug 2002.

1. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

NICE!:dude:

You'll have to decide on a quantity of water depending on what you want.

Lots of water - takes a long time to get down to cold temps, but less susceptible to variations.

Little water - cools down very quickly but more likely to get fluctuations.

BTW, does your chiller run continuously or is it hooked up to a humidistat or something like that. If it is, you should be able to replace it with a thermostat so when you switch on it cools the water down to a preset temp then switches off. It will keep coming back on like a fridge does.

Just a thought.

You should get lower temps if you insulate everything. Make sure you insulate the mobo socket properly with silicone sealant. Did you read the thread on AMDMB forums I linked above.

8-Ball

2. weazel666

weazel666 What's a Dremel?

it does run continuosly at the mo .. it's still rigged to the humidistat ...... i dunno about the wiring .. could i just replace the probe with a inline water temp sensor? and do it that way .. or is that all wrong? would i need to rig a separate thermostat up to it?

i know about insulating it .. need some conformal coating 1st tho really and some neoprene .. or closed cell stuff ..

i heard that silicone sealent stuff was bad and had some corrosive properties in some brands?

3. 8-BALL

Sorry weazel, I can't help you there. I'm not an electronics expert and I won't pretend to be. I know you can get thermostat controls but I don't know how much they'd cost.

Also, thanks for the warning about silcone sealant.

8-ball

4. weazel666

well i thought i'd just wire a temp sensor instead of the humitistat sensor .. and after abit of fiddling it seams to be shutting itself of when the water reaches about 14-15c .. and goes into auto defrost mode, which i've never seen it do when it was running as it was supose to be intended ..... mmm . think i'll have to invest in a proper thermostat and find out how to rig that to it properly ...... but my geforce gts gave up the ghost last night:sigh: nightmare .. .. oh well gives me the perfect excuse to to buy a ti4600:D .. pennies go towards that 1st ;)

5. 8-BALL

Bad luck with the gts!!

Why don't you wait for the radeon 9700 to go retail. should only be a couple of weeks.

6. GJUK

GJUK What's a Dremel?

7. weazel666

alot of good stuff on there .. see alot of peeps delving into the chiller game ... just wish i had time to fully test mine and see what i can really get out of it .. havung to keep water temps at 14c or condensation starts forming .. don't have time to insulate stuff at the mo .. hopefully by next week i'll have it running at full speed ;)

8. GJUK

GJUK What's a Dremel?

with all due respect, thers no point in chilling your water if you aint insulated EVERYTHING !.

that guy on icrontic is gettin -30F.

thats cold :)

Jono

9. weazel666

calm down ... i only stripped mine down on tuesday , or sommat like that, i was just messing with it to see if it could cope, i'm getting some neoprene and stuff on tuesday so by wednesday i should have at least have the blocks done, and i can at least leave the chiller on, it's only a 200watt model so i don't expect
    -30 anyhow .... well it did say it was capable of -40 on the box it came in.. but that's gonna be without load .. so i doubt it would get anywhere near that ...

but u are right i just came back from the shop and there is condensation on all my blocks .. oppss

been looking on e-bay for sommat more powerful http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1852943665

this looks like it could be a bit beefy ..... dam regestering confermation e-mail .. hurry up ..

Tags: