1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does quality control exist anymore?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zr_ox, 25 Apr 2007.

1. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I have been holding off writing this but now need this off my chest.

On the 16th March I recieved from OCUK an EVGA 8800GTX, OCZ 9200 FLEX & Creative Fatal1ty FPS Pro.

When the parts arrived they were hooked up to my new Asus Striker with C2 6300. After formatting and installing Windows I get random crashes and reboots, after some benchmarking & testing I discover that I have one dead memory module. The other module gives random errors running at stock speeds and recommended voltages as provided by OCZ. To top this off I also notice an unberable high pitched noise in 3D apps.

The memory gets shipped back to OCUK, and within 9 days I have a replacement. Due to know issues with noisy 8800's I need to return it to EVGA, and wait 3 weeks for a replacement. Luckily I have a friend who wanted to loan me some hardware, and discover that my CPU fails above 300FSB on my Striker, on my P5B it hit's 450 :miffed:!

One battle with the harware seller and Asus later and I get a new Striker.....which doe's not boot :waah: Another fight with the seller and they refuse to replace the board, so I'm waiting on the ultra slow Asus tech support to reply to my RMA request.

In the meantime I decide to buy an EVGA 680i which has arrived in Denmark in the 122-CK-NF68-BR revision....great :) The website lists the 122-CK-NF68-BR revision, my order confirmation lists the 122-CK-NF68-BR, the invoice in the pack lists the 122-CK-NF68-BR revision.......even the antistatic bag lists the 122-CK-NF68-BR :) When I peer through the anti static I see 122-CK-NF68-AR.....rubs eye's and looks again

122-CK-NF68-AR & PCB PCB 180-7R093-0000-C00 - HOLY MOTHER OF GOD :eeek:

It should be:

122-CK-NF68-BR & PCB PCB 180-7R093-0000-D00

Email EVGA and they say sure we will replace it but it will take 3 weeks :grr:

So far the list is:
    3 mobo's
    1 GPU
    1 Ram kit

My PC ran 1 day with errors and it's over 1 month old. 1 day of unstable performance for £1200+ :confused:

What the hell happened to quality control? All of the items I bought are advertised as super this, and incredible that....I'm the gullable chump that believed them. I'm sure that when they work, they rock...but it seems you need to be very lucky for them to work in the first place......it's all nuts, I cant believe whats happening and more than anything else.....I feel sick!

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

All I can say is bad luck mate:(.

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

A bit of forum-surfing always makes your day feel brighter, you see you'r problems are actually pretty small ones :D

Damn bro, that's one long list of problems with hardware. Also surprisingly long waiting times for all the stuff :O

4. dutchcowes

dutchcowes less is more

Man, that really sucks.
    Had the same issues with a asus P5B-E, new out of the box 3 times mobo replacement,no boot,no beebs no lights leds etc.
    Fourth one is im my machine now, running okay.
    Asus qc hmmmm,customer service not much better and they never seem to answer you question right or always blame other components

All the best, be strong

5. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Well zr-ox, I've just got my striker and flex and q6600, the case should be here tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes for me, I am preparing myself for some RMA action.

6. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Thanks for the replies guys.

It's simple madness, I have been very very lucky with hardware in the past. It looks like the hardware gods have decided to take a giant dump on me with this build though.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on Mother-Gooser, and keeping my fingers crossed for you. When I look around the internet there are people who have had fantastic results with the same hardware, also alot who have the same trouble though!

Thanks guys.....I'm feeling better already ;)

7. Mother-Goose

Did you use the stock bios or flash it out of interest?!

8. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Ran stock, then flashed to 0505, then 0704 I think, finally tried 1002 and experienced no changes in stability.

Did your stuff arrive yet?

9. Mother-Goose

yup it was there last night, the case should be here today so I will try and assemble it tonight. I'm runnning XP so it wont recognise all 4gb of ram so I am going to run it with one set and then once XP is installed, run it with the other, and then plug all 4 sticks in just to make sure thats all ok.

I'm going to run it stock at first and see how that goes, after that I may flash it 1002 if it is buggy :)

10. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I feel your pain, building systems for others I've had to RMA at least 5 strikers due to problems or wrong revision.

the Flex XLC is tempermental, I've heard of problems but never experienced any personally.

11. Mother-Goose

dunno what revision I have got, what should I be after?! So I can check when i get back...where do I look again?! lol been out of the game for a while when it comes to new hardware

12. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I took a picture for you:

[​IMG]

If your lucky you got 1.3

I had a farce today with eVGA but after documenting what happened, then showing them the images and info on their own site they agreed to do a cross shipment. I should get the board on Monday which is good.

After all this trouble I'm seriously considering dropping PC gaming and becoming a consol convert...sure is less trouble.

13. Mother-Goose

Well my CM Stacker turned up without its 4 fan panel....

EDIT: I've got a rev 1.0 as well :worried:

14. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

There are some lucky users with the 1.00G (not so many though). I asked OCUK to check what revision they had and they said:

"Cant do that since we have hundreds of motherboards. Raise a memo with tech support"

I did that and they said "where do I check thanks for asking" The email I recieved was for a no reply address.

Raised a new memo for tech support which got picked up by a different guy saying "What are you talking about" - again to a no reply address.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz nice one OCUK.

No door panel :confused: I dont know whats happening to customer service & quality control. It's madness.

Also your 4GB ram issue in XP is quite common since XP 32bit cannot fully address 4GB, some more info here

15. Mother-Goose

Yup I know alll about the 4gb issue. I do have a 1.00G, same as yours there I think bud.

Yeh, not sure what to make of the door panel, I don't want to put the kit in the case for them to say the case needs to be RMA'd, but seeing as there are none in stock I am hoping they will say keep the case, we'll get in contact with CM and get them to ship a new fan panel direct to you, what do you reckon?

16. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

for the striker you want a 1.3, 1.00G is pants (it usually will work, but might have issues overclocking to any appreciable degree)

17. Mother-Goose

lol yeh in mighty blighty we are pretty much stuck with 1.00G's by the looks of it, i don't mind too much I'll be running stock for a while. If it doesn't work first time it's going back and I'll get a EVGA Rev A1 anyway, I can't be arsed with all the faffing around people have gone through with the striker.

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

sux :(

I've had one problem with the three Strikers I've had from three different batches, which turned out not to be related to the board.

Instead, we had terrible luck with the EVGA board... four boards until we got one that worked.

19. Mother-Goose

HA tim stop it, you never know I may be lucky :)

On the note of a missing fan panel, has anyone else had that?! Seems to me that it is a very random thing to be missing?

/ has bit got one they wouldn't mind selling to me if ocuk want me to RMA the case?

20. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

This whole 680i release is a total farce. What the hell is going on??? Forums are filled with nothing but complaints from people having 2/3/4/5 replacement motherboards before finding one that works. Would not be bad if our problems were recognised and replacements offered more readily.

What should happen is Nvidia send out a mass recall since there are clearly serious manufacturing flaws.

We really need some kind of watch dog to help clear up issues like this.

:miffed: