1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Video card and mobo incompatible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zndkwin, 21 Apr 2007.

1. zndkwin

zndkwin What's a Dremel?

Hey, does someone know whether a 865DPERL intel mobo is incompatible with an agp XFX 6800XT nvidia card? I bought that card for my aging computer, and installed it, but nothing comes on screen when I do. I had it RMA'd, they sent me a new one, the new one didnt work either, I tried with different adapter, it didnt work either. Im starting to think the mobo doesnt not like that card. Do you think that changing the order the ram sticks are installed would help? I read somewhere that that might help.

I dunno, any suggestions?

2. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:confused: There shouldn't be any incompatibilities. It's more likely to be either your PSU or residual driver clutter. What were you previously running?

3. zndkwin

zndkwin What's a Dremel?

Well, I dont think it's the PSU since I specially bought a brand new one for this card, a 500W one. The old card is a radeon 9200se 128mb, really old stuff, and it has the last catalyst that supports it, (6.5). I've tried uninstalling the ATI drivers and installing the card with no drivers at all, no joy.

4. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

If you try to get into the BIOS do you see them appear with the 6800? If you don't it sounds like the card might have an issue. Can you test the 6800 in another computer to be sure it works?

5. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:worried: Where PSUs are concerned it's brand that is vital, not Wattage. If it's some small brand or a dodgy brand like Q-Tec then expect problems. If it's a good brand it shouldn't be a problem but if you can switch in a different quality PSU it could help rule it out completely. The 9200SE is a very gentle card, 6800 cards are way hungrier so it could be exposing a weakness in your mobo, PSU (etc) that didn't show up before. As for the drivers uninstalling is often not enough, try using a driver cleaner to completely remove all traces, there's plenty of info out there. Which nVidia drivers have you tried, the latest official ones from the website? BTW I'm assuming you're on XP not 9x nor Vista, correct?

6. zndkwin

zndkwin What's a Dremel?

"If you try to get into the BIOS do you see them appear with the 6800? If you don't it sounds like the card might have an issue. Can you test the 6800 in another computer to be sure it works?"

Well, I had the card RMA'd and they, XFX, sent me a new one, and I still have problems with this new card they sent me. I dont think both are defective. Unfortunately I don't have another computer with an AGP slot to try it.

"Where PSUs are concerned it's brand that is vital, not Wattage. If it's some small brand or a dodgy brand like Q-Tec then expect problems. If it's a good brand it shouldn't be a problem but if you can switch in a different quality PSU it could help rule it out completely. The 9200SE is a very gentle card, 6800 cards are way hungrier so it could be exposing a weakness in your mobo, PSU (etc) that didn't show up before. As for the drivers uninstalling is often not enough, try using a driver cleaner to completely remove all traces, there's plenty of info out there. Which nVidia drivers have you tried, the latest official ones from the website? BTW I'm assuming you're on XP not 9x nor Vista, correct?"

Well, the one it had was a good brand, can't remember which one, but the new one is a Hec Winpower 550W with dual 12v output. I havent been able to try any nvidia drivers, since when I turn the pc on with the new card installed, there's nothing, as if the monitor wasnt plugged into anything. And yes, I'm on XP pro.

7. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:( Not that it should matter but have you tried the latest mobo BIOS? You could try disconnecting any unnecessary components, see if it will boot with just the basics (or even just pass POST without a HD). I haven't heard of HEC so it might be worth trying another quality PSU if possible, certainly if it's simpler than finding another AGP mobo capable of taking it. If cash is very tight you could try doing an exchange for someone with a similar spec card, 6600GT or similar perhaps.

8. Lenny_Nero

Lenny_Nero What's a Dremel?

I have always found the PSU to be the weak link in almost every box I look at with strange problems, but a quick search on 'HEC Winpower 550w' and came up with a site/test that seemed to like it.

I am a bit of a Seasonic fan, but that is another thing. I would check for left over bits of driver and that sort of thing, I never have this sort of problem with drivers, but I will re-boot and use something like CC cleaner or JV16 power tools to clean up after, and then re-boot again and only then install the new cards drivers.

It might be worth going into the BIOS and looking to see if there is anything that needs to be changed for the new card, like the amount of memory set for it. I have just had a box with a 9200 in it give up and when I first switched over to the onboard gpx it had a bit of a problem until I turned down from 128 to 64 the amount set for it.

As said check for any BIOS updates but if there is nothing about your problems in the new BIOS change log it might be better to leave that to last as if you dont need to flash the BIOS there is not a good reason to do it just for the fun of it.

9. zndkwin

zndkwin What's a Dremel?

I updated the mobo to the last BIOS listed on the manufacturer (Intel) site, dated feb. 2005. No joy. This is very strange, I know the card works, because it lights up and its fan spins, but that's it. No signal delivered to the monitor.

Hmm, can leftover drivers do all that, i mean, keeping the signal from reaching the monitor? Shouldn't it just show something in the screen, as an error? There's nothing on screen.

The only settings that seem remotely related to the video card in the BIOS is something called AGP aperture size. I have tried setting it at 128 and 256mb. No joy. Should I try setting it at 64? Somehow I doubt it will work. I heard someone suggesting to change the order of the RAM sticks. Could that help, shuffling the RAM sticks?

10. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:confused: If you're not even passing POST at the BIOS then you don't need to worry about OS issues such as drivers. Your AGP Aperture Size is pretty irrelevant, that's how much system memory can be utilised when the gfx card runs out of memory itself, 128MB is a fail-safe setting.

:lol: Have you tried both display ports on the 6800XT? Is the card fully inserted, can you see any of the gold teeth? Do you get any beep messages from the internal speaker? Try swapping the RAM sticks (as it's quick & easy), try running with only 1 and try unplugging all PCI cards (just for the sake of it). Look for other BIOS settings such as 'Fast Writes' (try OFF), AGP speed (try AGP4x & 8x), Spread Spectrum (always OFF) and if needs be even try restoring the safety defaults (make a note of previous settings if needs be).

11. zndkwin

zndkwin What's a Dremel?

Yes, I've tried both of the DVI display ports, with the adapter, since the monitor is VGA. I think it's fully inserted, but I can still see a little bit of the gold teeth of the card. Should I apply more pressure to the card? Im afraid to break the mobo. The old 9200se works ok without having to press them fully into the slot. I tried removing the PCI cards, no joy. I havent seen those options in the BIOS, fast writes, AGP size, i think it's already at 8X, or Spread Spectrum. This BIOS is very basic, it seems, doesnt give me many options.

12. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:confused: Sometimes it's normal to slightly see the gold teeth. If the teeth are at any kind of angle it's a sign it's fully slotting in. Usually bending the silver L-bracket slightly back will enable it to push completely in ensuring good contact. Just to cover it, is the 6800XT's power connector plugged firmly in and have you tried different PSU connectors?

13. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

The only things I can think of that would stop the system posting at all have been mentioned above - i.e a faulty card, insufficient power to the card, or an incorrectly inserted card. BIOS settings shouldn't really make any difference at post in this circumstance.

14. zndkwin

zndkwin What's a Dremel?

the card can't be faulty, they sent me a new card, i dont think both of them are faulty. The card is plugged to a 550W power supply with real dual +12v output, and I can't think of any other way of inserting it.Damn, I'm tearing my hair out over this, im about to toss that card to the trash. somebody want a 6800XT ? Like new. It wont work with me. :miffed:

15. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Minimodder

Have you tried resetting the BIOS? Have you also checked that you have the latest BIOS for your mobo and do you have the additional power connector for the vid card installed.

16. zndkwin

zndkwin What's a Dremel?

How do I reset the BIOS? I upgraded to the latest BIOS for that mobo, the dperl865, which is dated feb 2005. What do you mean, a power connector that comes out of the PSU? I plugged in one of the power connectors to the card, and it lights up, but no signal on the monitor.

17. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Took out any other connectors like the ATX 12V while u were tinkering with your system?

18. zndkwin

zndkwin What's a Dremel?

Hmm, no, I didn't take out anything at all from the PSU, it was brand new.

19. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

Brand of PSU + Ampage on the rails?

Tags: