1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Supreme Commander or Command & Conquer 3?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Aman, 13 Apr 2007.

1. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

I'd stick with company of heroes myself too, or branch out into the warhammer games based on the same engine (similar gameplay etc). Im liking the single player of CnC3 but can predict the type of games i'd be playing on the internet and thats not really want i want in multiplayer gaming. I played the demo of sup com and while i can see why people rave about it, its not really my thing either.

<player a> weee look at my mammoths!
    <player b> weeee look at MY mammoths
    <both> oh no they all died, but no one won :(
    *repeated until games lags out / crashes

Settlers 6 anyone?

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

NOD stealth bombers can destroy stuff some with hefty punch (boats are also available in the campaign).
    GDI Juggernaughts (artillery mechs) coupled with a sniper team can fire shells across the entire map.
    Not to mention numerous tech advances which allow you to purchase quick and easy things like an artillery strike or bomb.

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Only if it proper settlers and not like the crappy AoE ripoff 5.

4. SaII

SaII What's a Dremel?

CNC3 because it's faster and you don't need a few hours to build a base and a large army

5. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Hey that's cool. C&C isn't everyone's bag. And CoH definitely is not a slouch itself. Fantastic game actually :)

6. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

CnC 3 is really more about being a super-fast click fest and trying to use the right strategy to win. A lot of people mass tanks or other kinds of one unit but that strategy won't be very successful for long. The biggest thing that bugged me about SupCom was that it was basically a super glorified version of that but on a massive scale.

7. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

I have both and I've played them quite a bit, and so far I like SC a lot better. For the record I have only been playing LAN games, and SC is a lot more fun for that imo. C&C3 has taken fast paced to a new level, I think its way to easy to mass resources. Gameplay-wise I like Company of Heroes better than both of these games, but that's not the question i guess.

8. zndkwin

zndkwin What's a Dremel?

Supreme commander seems to be more like chess, where you have to plan your strategy carefully, whereas cnc3 seems to be more like checkers, where you just rush to win.

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

A player using a very good strategy in checkers will prawn one thats just making rash decisions, on the surface it seems simple, but it can be just as strategic as a chess game. Sure it won't last as long and it's not as complicated, but theres still strategy.

Same goes for C&C3.

10. zndkwin

zndkwin What's a Dremel?

Probably, I'm not very good at either.

11. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

lol. apples to oranges. C&C is real time strategy. SupCom is real time warfare.
    However, both being computer games and under the RTS catagory, im going for supcom, hands down. C&C is lacking in novelty and variety of strategy. SupCom does not encourage turteling and rushing tech, that shows youve prolly never even played (won) a game. The majority of wins are from tech one or two battles falling one way or another, then a total loss of resources on one side finishing the game. Turtling exclusively is how you get your ass handed to you, a defensive position loses you any SupCom game against an equal, aggressive foe.

As for those who dont like rushers... id have to ask what delusions theyre playing under. If youre not fast or good enough to constantly attack and challenge for position and power, then you might as well go play pong. you think in real battles, the commanders meet and agree for a week long cease fire so they can set up their position? what other competition can you get away with that?
    "Excuse me ref, but we need some time to reorganize our offense, so if you could just tell the other teams midfielders to back off, thatd be greeeat."
    "Floor judge! my queen is pinned down by a knight fork, can i have some time to set up my defenses?"

Give me a break. So you can micromanage the strongest units of the game and send them where they can do the most good. Oh joy. But you complain about having to survive long enough to make them? SupCom all the way; to anyone who argues against for the above reasons i dont know what to say.

lets not even get started on calling players who use masses "newbs"

12. zndkwin

zndkwin What's a Dremel?

People, you are forgetting the modding options for both games. Worlbuilder map editor for CnC3 is a resource hog, needs at least 2gigs of ram, and has ram leaks. The supcom editor is due with the next patch, but there's already a community created editor which is amazing, I am using it in fact, to create supcom maps.

13. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

If you want to look at it that way, then Medieval II/Rome kicks everyone's asses, as it combines the best of both worlds, with some of the best gameplay from a RTS I'd ever seen, but then again, some may argue that it's completely different from cnc3/supcom.

On another note, I hate to say it coming from a cnc fan, but what you say I can't really shoot you down for. You are right about cnc3's strategy and gameplay; whilst it's a bash to play singleplayer and a quick multiplayer, competitively, it's a step backwards from generals and ZH (which was hated by many cnc fans because they couldn't deal with something that didn't use their beloved conyard system). Thing is, I find supcom boring in comparison with cnc3 after a while, so that's why I chose cnc3 over supcom.

I cannot agree with you more about rushing. In fact, you've just inspired me to post a new thread about it, lol!

Last edited: 27 Apr 2007
  14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Not heard of a pitched battle have you?

15. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

played c&c3 and found it terribly boring and unengaging, I play supcom from time to time and its quite good if a little too slow paced

16. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

This would be the reason I like supcom more.

While cnc3 is interesting and forces fast thinking on a tactical level, it doesn't go quite as deep as supcom into the extended position jockeying, flanking etc.

it also puts the tactical situation into perspective, and to quote Rommel: "the difference between a general and a commander is his understanding of the effects of multiple concurrent tactical engagements."

17. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Something I found though is if you try to mass one unit type in Sup Com you get destroyed. My first few games I tried the "build as many tanks as possible" routine and they'd just get planes and bomb me back to the stone age. Mix in anti-air crap and then you have a chance at living, but most the time even the AI will see the anti-air units and focus fire on the AA instead of the tanks that pose no threat.

Tags: