1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Where can i get some Liquid Nitrogen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnu611, 10 Apr 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not necessarily. At -195.8°C LN should be able to keep a CPU below zero, at which point condensation does us the courtesy of freezing, but that is only very close to the "thermos bottle" which sits on the die. Stray further away from the bottle and there will be a zone that is cooled, but not sufficiently for the condensation to freeze. Notice that on most images of LN-cooled CPUs, there is a lot of condensation protection around the bottle.

Moreover, as Kayinblack says, when the setup thaws out, any frozen condensation melts and goes everywhere on the board.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2007
  2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Some of us have tried this, to varying degrees. I won't play any further with it. Nothing like a computer you can't use unless you have LN2.

3. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

4. EvilRick

EvilRick Banned

u too.

5. Bluephoenix

I was appreciating the joke, not laughing at you...... :eyebrow:

6. EvilRick

EvilRick Banned

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Enjoy your permanent relocation to the land of the Banned, EvilRick.

8. Bluephoenix

Back on the subject of LN2, with the rate at which LN2 can heat up and gas off; you would need at least a large (6ft) container and an assistant to top up the HS for just an hour's running. to use it 24/7 would require a direct pipe from the condenser (or a DIY one, though that would kill the electricity bill)

9. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Also be aware that there is a risk of asphyxiating yourself (!) if you're not in a well-ventilated room.

10. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

just give up i have played with DICE for a bit but its only suitable for benching not 24/7 at all and if you do want to get into benching i recomend you join an overclocking team and go and watch some of the masters at work

11. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Has anyone tried using compressed air which has been cooled to room temp (some sort of intercooler), then expanded through a small nozzle at high pressure/flowrates?

the expanding air would be cooled, then could be fed through a heatsink....
    just an idea, but could be a cheaper alternative to phase change.

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I think I know were he got the idea:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exaMRJZGUmo

If that is the case, This is not REAL, it's a JOKE.

Notice the computer was on, before he put the liquid nitrogen in the tube.
    I believe the CPU would be pretty damage by the time he opens the door, sign the paper, bring the container...

13. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

So does he have $25,000 dollars for the LN2?

14. Bluephoenix

the vid was indeed a setup, but the parts involved were very much real, and the guy was no actor either. Check futuremark's site and you'll find he's listed there.

the difference to most of us is that he was at a location that could deal with LN2 accidents and is experienced in its use, not to mention probably worked his way up to that from watercooling and by joining a proper team to learn how.

15. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

I think what GoodBytes was saying was that he has the computer on... yet nothing was cooling it for quite a few mins before he would have managed to get the LN2 into his "workshop". Therefore it would have been a different set up that had the screen up and running in the bios.

16. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

@Boswell, yep, you got it!

17. crazytyler34

crazytyler34 What's a Dremel?

18. Bluephoenix

ah, yes; the nuts who like to fry their hardware by going too far or missing one tiny little gap... :lol:

I've done a little messing with DI and evaporative cooling, but good old WC is fine for my current purposes.

19. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

dimethyl ketone, and DIce.... Fun for all! We use to take marshmallows drop them in a cup of LN2 and then eat them, It was fun. I had a physics prof who would actually put a drop of LN@ in his mouth during lecture, but he stoped when one of his grad students had to be rushed to the hospital for acadentaly injesting the LN2 when he tried to copy him. Kid had to brup all the way to the ER where a stomach tube was put in to relive the preasure.

LN2 is fun. But LOX is better... :) Shure its a little warmer (4C) and its a little more expensive, but hey nothing says fun like a fire risk. Hell lets step it up liquid helium-4 nothing says cool like 4.2K 100L is only like 500 bucks.... but you do need a service contract..... oh well. Guess i better stick to propane

20. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Yeah that's KingPin (www.overclocKingPin.com). He holds loads of records for 3D mark. Obviously he has years of experience under his belt. Definitely start at the bottom and work your way up.

Edit: URL parsed incorrectly. Fixed

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.