1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Can i use the same radiator in a dual loop system?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamicon, 23 Aug 2002.

1. jamicon

jamicon What's a Dremel?

At the moment i have a very weak 240 l/h pump sitting around. Im going to be buying a nice strong pump to use in my system im building.

i was wondering if it was possible to use the same radiator, and then both pumps in different loops. IE, it would go

pump1 - cpu - radiator - resevior
    and
    pump2 - gpu - radiator - resevior

in both cases sharing the resevior and radiator.

here is a pic to clarify (the pumps will be in the resivior, and pump directly to the CPU and GPU respectively)

[​IMG]

my only other option would be to install a single loop system that went pump - cpu - gpu - radiator - reservoir

thanks for your help

2. Risky

Risky Modder

AS I understand the problem is balencing the flow beteeen the two loops. Symply putting a Y splitter doesn't guarantee that each loop gets a fair share of the flow.

3. jamicon

jamicon What's a Dremel?

maybe this will clear up what im trying to do:

[​IMG]

i don't see how the flow for either of the channels would be effected by the other ones, but thats why im asking :)

4. Risky

Risky Modder

If you have two identical pumps and the blocks and circuits have similar resistance to the flow it should be ok. Of course if one pump was much more powerfull it would cause trouble.

5. jamicon

jamicon What's a Dremel?

i should probably point out that the large pump will be pumping thru 16mm conduit , which has about 12mm internal diametre, the small pump (which is a wimpy 240 l/h) has to only keep the GPU cool (the fan broke on it) and will probably be using 12mm ID hosing, possibly the conduit tho. The radiator on the other hand has 16mm copper pipe barbs, so they have about 16 mm internal diametre. So i was wondering if the size of the radiator barbs would then stop the effect the fast pump has on the slower one, and of course i will be running 16mm ID tubing from the radiator to the resivior.

6. Elemental

Elemental What's a Dremel?

I don't think you're solution is any good. Either have 2 completely seperate loops with 2 rads and 2 reservoirs or use one loop with gpu in line after the cpu!

cu
    elemental

7. Risky

Risky Modder

Yep I'd recommend 2 rads. In your plan there a danger the pressure from the big cirucit will work to push flow against the lighter pump.

I suppose you could leave the GPU circuit out of the rad altogether and run it straight to the res. As long as the Res is big, the increase in res temp should be small.

8. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

As I said on proforums, there will be a back pressure on the weaker pump which could and most probably will cause problems.

Either use one of elemtal suggestions or have a splitter after the pump and before the rad. Big tubing going through the cpu block and small through the gpu.

9. Risky

Risky Modder

wnn't this still cause back pressure?

10. 8-BALL

Risky, I fear I may have confused the issue slightly by not hinking about what I was saying.

I am at work now, so if you check back later this evening, I'll post a picture of what I mean on the same thread at proforums (they allow attachments) and try and explain it a bit better.

8-Ball

11. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

hmmm interesting......i like seeing u guys go back and worth hehe....be warned play nice....:dude:

12. 8-BALL

Risky and Jamicon, I am going to try and answer this problem on the proforums thread of the same topic. I can attach pictures there. (can you attach pictures here or do they need to be hosted somewhere?)

13. 8-BALL

14. 8-BALL

hope that makes sense

Now I can take off my thinking hat and have a beer!

15. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

My brainstorming
    Sub pumps - add heat
    Flow rate - not balanced
    CPU block - temp compromised by GPU

IMHO - use two loops i.e. BIM with an Inovatek (or similar) and a very small res/airtrap for the GPU. :)

Tags: