1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zyphron, 28 Apr 2007.

1. Zyphron

Zyphron What's a Dremel?

ok I am looking to upgrade, my system is in its 2nd year and by no means is it slow, but... it just feels old (For a PC) and its still the fastest out of all of my friends.

Specs:

ABIT AN8 SLI 939 4400x2 @2.4
    1 GB G skill DDR 400 2-2-2-6 1T(stock) running @ 220 w/ 2.5-3-3-6
    NV7900 GT KO stock ok (never really messed around with OCing it)
    2x- 250Gb Hd's in raid 0
    PC power & cooling silencer
    + 1 NV6200 LE (for 4 monitor goodness)

(i know the proc will OC way farther then what i have it at. least another 200mhz or so but every time i try to take the HT bus down to 4x the system locks up and reboots in failsafe mode. it does this even if i dont change anything but the HT... )

but anyway....
    what i was looking at getting:

Mem
    Proc
    (Considering Q6600.....)
    Mobo
    (changed Mobo to p5n32-e sli plus instead)

since the PSU, Case, HD's and Vidcard are taken care of already ( ill get the 8800GTX when it gets a bit cheaper)

im sure there are better parts "680i ?" call me a fanboy but i want to Stick with Abit. since the only 680i they make is $320+ im not really a "fan" of it.
    not really on a budget but im looking for the best price/performance

do you guys thinks this is a fruitless upgrade?
    sure it gets me out of a dead-end socket but how far off is AMD's new CPU? and is it worth waiting for?

Last edited: 3 May 2007
  2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

The 680i LT is good, get any of them.. Theyre just rebranded anyways.. Alltho EVGA and BFG gives the best warranties

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Abit has fallen off in recent times and slowly they are trying to get back into the game. I'd try with a different manu this time round. Presonally i would go for a 680i LT mobo due to their pedegree and high OC's.

Everything else looks sweet.

4. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

The AW9D-Max is a great board, but it's pretty pricey, a 680i LT board is probably a better idea, possibly the 650i/590 SLI Asus P5N32-E Plus SLI which is a hybrid 650i board that has 2x PCI-E x16 and one x8 just like the full 680i boards(if I remember right its done by using a 650i northbridge with a 590 SLI southbridge), and only costs $185. Bit-Tech gave it a good review.

5. Zyphron

Zyphron What's a Dremel?

Sounds good! whats the main differences between the LT and oh say an Asus striker? beside the insane price tag.

now this is intersting mis print? or....
    besides the FSB is there a diff on the XFX?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=680+LT&x=0&y=0

anyone have an idea on what kinda performance increase im going to be getting over my current setup? i dont want to shell out $600 or so in hardware for a 5% increase.

6. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

They all support 1333 FSB, or at least they should as the chipset does. The Asus Striker is based on 680i chipset, not 680i LT, so it has a couple of added things, most major is the 3rd PCI-E slot that runs at x8 along with 2 at x16, where 680i LT has only 2 that run at x16.
    As for performance increase, the ram upgrade will be great in gaming, and the E6600 with some overclocking should hand it to your 4400+. Once you upgrade the video card to a DX10 card the ram will make even more of a difference in performance.

7. Zyphron

Zyphron What's a Dremel?

thinking of getting the Q6600 instead of the C2 but ive read everywhere that it needs a 1333 FSB to keep all four cores busy and that the low 1066 fsb was holding the chip back. is what i have fast enough or do i need more?

ive been out of the "loop" for so long im still trying to figure out how the numbers tie into performance
    my last few systems were AMD's and ive been pretty lazy with messing with the bios for the past few years

ddr2 800= 400Mhz = PC6400?

now how does the FSB fit in with that?

because back when i built my last intel system, ddr 400 ran at 200mhz and
    was 1-1 with the FSB which was 200mhz and quad pumped giving you 800mhz

if you quad pump ddr2 800 you get 1600mhz ... and thats not right... or is it?

is it still this way or has something changed?

some numbers would help out alot...

Last edited: 2 May 2007
  8. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I've got a Q6600 and It seems to share the load evenly on a striker (which I sending back btw) :)

9. trig

trig god's little mistake

looking at that same ram...selling mine. id go with gravemind and grab the p5n32-e sli plus...good board and great value. id also grab the e6320 or e6420 myself. as those overclock so well, so you can save a lil dough there.

10. Zyphron

Zyphron What's a Dremel?

yeah the asus looks good, it has just about everything i want (besides a HEX readout) prob going to get it instead. The price is great too considering its performs up there with the 975x and OC's good if not better. The 16x-2 8x-1 PCI-E is great, 6 monitors here i come!!!!

money is really not a biggy here so if i can get 2 e6600's jammed into one core for the price of two? im going to do it!

i do ALOT of multitasking so if i can make running 2 games at once smoother because right now my PC just cant keep both of the games fed ( 2 WoW's btw)