1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Network Setup Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Samurai75007, 4 May 2007.

1. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 What's a Dremel?

I am trying to get my network to work right. I have cable coming into my Linksys Cable modem. Then from there it go's into a Linksys Cable DSL router (BEFSB41 Ver.4). With my mom's Desktop, my Mac Mini, and using a crossover cable into an AirPort Express. With my Laptop connected wirelessly off of that.

The thing is that when its all together it works inter network where computers can see each other but then can't get to the internet at any level. I am wondering if the router is the problem and I might need to get a switch instead. Or I might need to forward something in the router but have no idea where to start. I do plan on getting a 25 port rack mount soon to start setting up for some NAS storage.

Sorry for the long read but I need some help.

2. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

so from what your describing you have the following setup...

cable modem---router---wireless~~~~~ clients (mac, desk, lap)

if your getting all the computers to see each other then congrats, you have a network. Do you use Static IP settings or DHCP settings? Can you connect to the web interfaces of the modem, router and wireless acess point?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but just trying to get a feel for your network.

3. Cuban

Cuban What's a Dremel?

ah, the curse of cable modems :)
    had many problems with setting these up for friends/family and the smallest things can stop them working.
    1st thing to try is powering them up in the right order, power up the modem and leave it for a couple of minutes then turn on your router.
    also could try turning off DHCP.

can you communicate with the modem from the pcs/laptop?

4. ỒĊBłůē

ỒĊBłůē Also available in black

I had a little bit of fun getting my Linksys modem and WRT54G working together as both had DHCP enabled.

I ended up changing the IP of the router and all was good (thanks Dave) :thumb:

5. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 What's a Dremel?

Actually the desktop is hooked up to the wired router. I now have it all working right now, for some reason the apple wireless router didn't like the first or forth port on the linksys router. We will see if this works in the long run.

Tags: