1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V My Home Cinema.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by micb, 3 May 2007.

1. micb

micb Minimodder

Here are some pictures from my Hitachi PJTX300.

EDIT : fixed links!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 May 2007
  2. micb

micb Minimodder

Thanks for the mail account.

You can now use micb3rd (at) googlemail.com

3. gar

gar Minimodder

To see the pic's we need to be members of AV forums. :sigh: Any other way of letting us see? :D

4. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

Sent again.

5. micb

micb Minimodder

Sorry My fault!

I have reuploaded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. gar

gar Minimodder

Nice vivid colours there. If I had one of those projectors, I'd proabaly never see the light of day!
    The room sems nice and dark despite being such a light colour. Thanks for the pic's! :D

Any future plans? & Oh, are you playing the flim off a dvd player, or pc?

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'll bet a VHS looks a bit poo on there compared to DVD! Looks nice though, there's something special about a proper projector.

8. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

What brands of audio and component cables are you using? Out of the box one's or high end cables from MONSTER or others?

9. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

don't buy monster they are very over priced. You could make your own for much less.

I recently got 100ft of 12awg cable and 5 pairs of gold plated bannas for around 50 USD.

10. micb

micb Minimodder

The camera hids some of the light reflection, the light spill is not too bad though! Things still look quite 3D.

I am playing a DVD of a Hitachi PF-7E DVD/VHS combo player.

Future plans, swapping my rear speakers from dipole to a more directional speaker, I have some speakers hanging about to try.

A BK Monolith or SVS Subwoofer to give a bit more headroom in bass area. A Parametric EQ (mabye a BFD) for tweeking, some home built room treatments like absorbers, diffusers and bass traps might be on the cards. I have some good build guides.

I have not tried VHS yet, I will do though. You can see the quality difference between different DVD masters and the cameras used to make the film. The projector hides nothing! A good screen print looks astonishing, bad screen prints look bad.

I have tried some compressed movies and they are no too bad.

Monster I feel is overpriced IMO.

Speaker cables are various home and car audio cables that are of a reasonable guage.

I use a high quality Ixos 1 meter gold digital coaxial cable between DVD and AV Receiver.

For AV Reciever to Poweramps I use average brand RCA's that do not pinch as I do not want to pull the classic phono plugs out.

For Video a 10 meter Component cable can cost an arm and a leg so I went with a bulk pack cable in the end.

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/....bulk-packed-component-cable-10m/display.html

I tested it side be side against a short 3 meter one and could not see any issues going to 10 meters.

Last edited: 8 May 2007
  11. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

No s***, they're 100% profit, or something close to it, but investing in quality cabling for the best sound and vision possible...

12. dom_

dom_ --->

Do share i am converting my loft at the moment into a hifi room and am yet to start looking at acoustic treatments.

13. micb

micb Minimodder

I hooked up a scart to composite converter and ran a 10 meter cable.

I fired up an old recording of SKY Widescreen 24 on VHS and it is surprisingly watchable.

There is more jittery grain and less stable image but I am sitting far enough away to not notice it unless I move closer. Deep blacks were lost and i'd need to recalibrate as blues/reds were a bit strong but still I could live with it.

Of course I lost the soundtrack to stereo (mixed to Prologic 2 in the Denon) which while not too bad not quite of to Dolby Digital 5.1 standerds.

All in all it was better than I expected.

14. gar

gar Minimodder

Sounds like you're going to go a long way with this setup. Fair play to you. All my av stuff is now in the attic unfortunately. Those cables you have. I must give you an ebay link were you can get the same cables far cheaper than that.

By the way. Have you ever seen the galleries on this forum?

www.avtalk.co.uk Really mind blowing IMO.

15. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

not sure if this will help the UK members but the us/can should check out

www.monoprice.com

and bluejeans cables.

I also found a guy on ebay that made me a 40ft component to vga cable for around 45 bucks. quality craftsmenship and works awesome with my projector and dvd player.

16. micb

micb Minimodder

17. Dmc

Dmc Minimodder

I must say that I'm very impressed with your setup :D I like you was into the audio side of things but now getting into audio/visual.
    Can I ask how I should go about calibrating my setup in simple terms :confused:

18. micb

micb Minimodder

]

A SPL meter is a device which measures sound (vibrations) and gives you a reading in decibels.

[​IMG]

All cinema setups from cheapy HTIB's to fully fledged multimillion pound theaters should always calibrated to balence the sound for movies.

You can calibrate with a DVD such as AVIA, Digital video essentials or use the internal test noise from a AV receiver/Processor.

The test pink noise is recorded at a lower level than full reference, the reason the tones are recorded at a lower level is so you can balance you Home theater with out going deaf or damaging you kit in the process.

The tones/noise are recorded at -20db below reference for a AVIA DVD and -30 db below ref for internal tones from an AV Receiver.

Both DVD and internal receiver/processor test tones methods usually give the same calibration results (although not always).

Place the SPL Meter at you seating position (pref around head hight)

The basic method is to set the Receiver/Processor main volume to 00 and the tone/noise is played through each channel, you then balance all speaker channels levels using the invidual channel levels so they read the same so 75db or 85db on the SPL meter depending on which source the tone/noise is from (75 db for internal tone, 85 DB for AVIA DVD).

2)Full dolby reference will be at 00 and this is is usualy peaks of 105db per channel and 115db for LFE (bass).

IF you use bass management and run speakers set to small then the LFE and sound below 80hz is passed to the subwoofer and the peak bass level is bumped up from 115 to 121 db.

Full dolby refenence is very loud and can be damaging to you AV kit.

Once calibrated/balanced there is no real correct volume level you should listen to, just enjoy the movie at your confortable level.

Movies do seem to be recorded at different volumes so you may have to turn up some moves more than others.

Personally I watch most movies between -25db below reference at night time and -15 below reference in the day, full reference is too loud for me, I want to keep some hearing left!

I also knock the rears down 6-8 db as I like them to be ambience and not call too much attension to themselfs.

19. Dmc

Dmc Minimodder

Thanks for a in depth answer :clap: