1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ron Gilbert helping make the Penny Arcade game

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

when will people learn... cartoon characters do not convert well to 3D.
    I think every single cartoon game has always looked retarded.

Although...... Team Fortress.... hmmm

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The game looks pretty crap at the moment,

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

True dat.

5. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Did anyone catch a key word? Episodic.
    Because you know, SiN and Half-Life 2 have done so much to make Episodic content look like a good thing.

I'd rather wait 1 year and play for 40+ hours then get the POTENTIAL for a game once every 3 months. I mean look at SiN-- it died before it got even 33% through. And Half-Life 2: Ep2 was delayed for a long time.

Its just a way for game makers to cop out on making a full game.

(Its not lost on me that a game based on a great comic series is episodic. It kinda works in a theoretical sense. Comics come in episodes, why not a comic game? But still... I don't like episodic content, and sure don't like paying $30+ for a game that isn't even finished.)

Full Game - $60
    Episodes x3+ - $60-90+

So yeah...
    (And knowing the Penny Arcade crew, it might be done in 16-bit intentionally.)

*shrugs*

:worried:

6. CardJoe

I thought Sin:episodes was quite good. Not groundbreaking, but fun and the challenge system was great. Shame it got dropped.

BUT

Thats FPS's. Which take a lot more effort and time to make than some genres. Episodic adventure games, like Sam and Max or Bone have been great thus far as well as regular.

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

episodic = suck.

8. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

Am I the only one that thought the 2D flash intro looked like a better game then the actual ingame footage?

9. Temet Nosce

Temet Nosce What's a Dremel?

I agree, some games just work better in 2D. The best example of this I can think of (apart from the obvious Sonic) is the Broken Sword series. The 2D games were classics, the 3D ones suffered from bad cameras and too much block moving. I think its about time game developers learned that just because they can do 3D doesnt mean they should.

10. CardJoe

Episodic CAN work. It just needs the right approach and it needs a game suited to it. If Broken Sword had been broken down into sensible, 6 hour chapters and sold for a 7 quid each (assuming 3 episodes) then it would have been just as good. The benefit with it would be that you could package making ofs with it, get feedback and improve it, let players decide story pathes. Stuff like that.

Penny Arcade episodes? Awful. Looks awful. Should have been a 2d adventure wityh profits going to childs play.

11. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

@Card-Joe:

That was my ignorance coming into play. I'm an avid FPS fan with some strong RTS roots and some MMO-ing in there somewhere.

I was only familiar with episodic content in th realm of Steam Online. I did not realize other genres and games had successfully excuted the method. So I appologize for that.

I also didn't mean that SiN itself was a bad game. I merely meant to use it as an example of why I didn't have faith in Episodic Content.

Maybe I picked the two bigest frustrations (HL2:EP2 / SiN) instead of standard examples. So I appologize for that too.

Sorry for n00bing it up. :rolleyes:

12. CardJoe

Lol, no worries dude. I'm seriously pissed off about Valves handling of episodic content too. What annoys me is that they were the ones who came out and acclaimed it would be fantastic, yet they are the ones who can't make it work for them.

13. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

it had better be LACED with humour otherwise its not going to work, however the funny detective genre has been sown up by Sam + Max, so it is going to have to be something special. I know I wont be preordering this though.

Tags: Add Tags