1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uni: Dissertation..

Discussion in 'General' started by M3G4, 9 May 2007.

1. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Hey all,

Meant to be doing my dissertation - done about 3,000 words, meant to have done 7,000 words by Friday, 4pm. Have any of you ever left your dissertation really late?

I was meant to do it over the holidays but got majorly depressed and realised this course REALLY isn't what I wanted to do. So when I leave Uni, i'm going to apply for an apprenticeship with BT, hopefully do a CCNA/MCSE and do a part-time ICT A-level.

2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I had a 6,000 word paper due once, me being normally lazy, I actually worked on it everyday for a week and finished it. I don't recommend putting it off, and this is coming from someone who usually does 3 1,000 word essays the day before they're due.
    Start working on it, finish it. It'll be worth it, you won't be able to complete it in one night, and do read it over before printing final copy, you'd be amazed at how stupidly you can write sentences when tired.

3. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

I basically did the same. Motivation was a serious issue.

It's got to be done sometime, so why not now? (if only that worked)

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

From my point of view it's "It's got to done sometime, that time is later" XD

5. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

This is kinda something I have been worried about recently - I tend to leave everything until im worried about it, which is normally too late - inc revision and whatnot. Its alright for now as I can retake things but as of next year that becomes a problem as I can't, and it counts toward my final degree :S

Its not that i don't like my course, its just that im realy lazy! :S

6. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

7000 words.....pft, I had to do 12,000 :(

On a serious note, 7000 isn't that much of an effort if you've got almost half of it done already. 3000 words in a few hours is just about doable if you've got all your references to hand already and some idea of what you're going to say! Just make sure you proof read the hell out of it if it was done as an all nighter.

7. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

I'd be the same in my first year... but I'd always get things done to an acceptable standard because I had the motivation to.

But now things have changed and as soon as I open the document I try to find something else for me to do. :waah:

8. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

Just handed mine in on Tuesday Was 16,500 words. Took me the best part of 2 weeks working 8 hours everyday. Thankfully never again

9. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

If you're still writing it, get all your main points down on paper as bullet points - then simply go through them and tick them off one by one - you'll soon find the word count nearing.

10. monkeyville

My method was to write out every heading and sub heading and then it was simply a question of filling in the blanks. Ensured i had everything covered in the project too as i couldn't go off a tangent.

11. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

What degrees are you doing to get dissertations that small. My disertation was 50'000 words and sample websites that I had designed for my comparisons etc. along with copies of all referenced material. The thing came in at over 400 pages.

I did get through an 8000 word 3rd year project in 3 days though so it is possible if you are really trying. I'd advise trawling the internet for a few hours for references and then use as many of them as you can. Referencing/comparisions and discussions are a good way to get through large chunks.

I hope you get into IT but I should warn you that i've found it really difficult to get a good job. Everyone seems to want to offer really short term crappy contracts or ask the word of you for pretty poor money.

12. monkeyville

Mine was an electrical engineering project. The hardware took 6 months of building but the report was 50 page max with appendix

13. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

spent 3 weeks solid on mine (1 one week writing software and 2 weeks writing tech review and dicussion on the software i had written) and managed to get it in on time. although im not sure if itll be any good :S

Diss title? :lol: Directional Drilling and its Issues. Wellplanner Software.

Dull title but good free software in it (aka MY software) and i know it all works as i sent it to the drill rigs for testing :D

14. feckless2k1

feckless2k1 Minimodder

took me a week to write each of my 35,000 character dissertations. Finished those and had to start revising for my exams that afternoon (and it hasn't finished yet!)

THe worst bit is when you have to proof read them - you can read each one a hundred times and you will still find spelling/grammar mistakes. The secret is not to read it after its handed in!

My degree is biochemistry, anyone want to read my projects :D

15. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

22,380 words ( inc. Appendix )

REDESIGNING SUPPORT CHARACTERS:
    A NEW APPROACH TO NPC INTERACTION.

The key is to pad it with lots of colourful pictures!

16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

A picture paints a thousand words, so thats 22 pictures and a few hundred words.

17. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Up to 5,000 words so far! \o/

18. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Nice title! What's your degree? I wrote a dissertation alongside a project on Character Animation (the exact title eludes me), for a degree in Games Computing.

19. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but an equation is worth a thousand pictures. :lol:

I have not had the glamorous chance of writing a dissertation, but I am sure I will have to in come time.

20. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage