1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware 700W to 850W PSU Group Test

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 May 2007.

1. trig

trig god's little mistake

i dont know about you, but i dont want anything running 100C plus in my rig...70C may not be al that "high", but its about as high as i want anything in my rig to reach.

2. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

Very interesting, I look forward to the 500-650w Id like to see what the Corsair 620w is like under test conditions, I have one in my current PC. But having read the test, I expected more from the Seasonic. I believe the Corsair is made by Seasonic?

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

And Seasonic is a subsidery of Maxpoint ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 10 May 2007
  4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Looking forward to the 1 kW test. They are amusing. And also are those people who buy 'em :) Show me a desktop PC that draws even close to 1 kW of power and I don't know what I'll do.

Nice review, I want those equipments!

5. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Good old Enermax units :)

6. ViPPeR_666

ViPPeR_666 What's a Dremel?

Enermax is that way better than the other ones due to just its amps (I'm not considering efficiency)?

What's so good about the amps? :naughty:

Thx in advance.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's only got 3 rails though, so it needs more amps to compensate. You either have more rails and fewer amps per rail or fewer rails and more amps along them.

8. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

would have liked to compare the galaxy 850 against the infinity 720 but you cant have everything

great reveiw tho thanks looking forward to the 1KW review

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea the Galaxy 850W is yet another on the list. They are very good PSUs, we're possibly currently using them to test certain R600 cards :worried:

10. dutchcedar

dutchcedar What's a Dremel?

I think people are being led to believe that more rails are better than fewer in a power supply and that simply makes no sense at all. From what I'm understanding, anything more than a single rail is a compromise and is likely done to cut costs. I have yet to hear any compelling claims to a performance advantage to the use of multiple rails. From PCP&C we get this:
    Granted, that's from a manufacturer who uses a single rail design, but their explanation makes sense to me, nonetheless.

I have yet to hear a compelling argument for using more rails than are necessary, except for the manufacturer to cut costs. The lowest amount necessary is one.

It really is a shame PC Power and Cooling's 750W Silencer wasn't included in the mix, because from a performance standpoint, it appears to be the class of the field.

11. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

According to Jonnyguru, the Seasonic, Corsair, and PC P&C Silencer all share similar parts. So if your Seasonic 700 didn't fair very well...

I own the 610 Silencer and it rarely gets anywhere near warm. Then again, I'm probably only pulling 350-450 from it.

12. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

W0116 750W Toughpower is only £70-80 was hoping to see if that one had been tested (keeps my set up happy)

Nice test rig

any one got an spare PCI-E Power cable for this PSU lost mine lol

13. dutchcedar

The Seasonic has four 12V rails, don't know about Corsair (didn't know they made a 700+W PSU), PCP&C has a single rail... different fan arrangements and guts, connectors, etc., so although Jonnyguru says they share similar parts, and they might have some common poieces, they're not the same units.

14. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

15. dutchcedar

^^^ The same thing applies with those three... the PCP&C uses a single rail, the other two use four rails...

Hey, I didn't even know about this stuff, until putting a 12V actuator in my rig that draws a good bit of juice, but only on occaision. It took some searching around, but the single rail thing seemed to be a perfect solution for my rather special thing.

But the more I got to thinking on it, its really a big design difference and its one that lots of people seem to skim right past. I mean, you plug things in and expect them to get juice, but if you have four rails dividing it up, you could easily have something running on a tapped out rail.

16. Bas van der Werff

Bas van der Werff What's a Dremel?

In the Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850W test they say:

The same sadly isn't replicated in the 8-pin 12V connector, as it is on an entirely separate cable to the 4-pin 12V connector. As the unit is not modular, this means you've always got an extra cable to hide away or fear the wrath of cable mess on your airflow and internal case looks.

I've got the modular version of this PSU and both the 4pin and 8pin are also not modular on that one, so even on the modular version you have to hide the extra cable, or hack it of :D

17. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

I have some comments of your review:

1. You only measured the point of the rail, not how stabley it did it. It might be at 3.3 for one test, and 3.29 for the others, but if the rail fluctuates, it wouldn't be as good as one that stays at one point continually
    2. No crossload tests.
    3. No ripple tests
    4. All testing was done at room temperature. The insides of a real case would not be room temperature. It Will be significantly warmer. When that happens, the internal temperatures of the power supply will rise, and the power supply will not be putting out what it says it will, in most cases. Efficiency will drop, exhaust temperatures will rise, etc.
    5. no gut shots.

18. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Actually, No PC now needs 750 or 850w. Most computers will draw maybe 200w full load. even an 8800ultra with a kentsfield won't draw anywhere near 750-800w.

Actually, many of the places which the etasis 750 is shown to be good at is done with strict controlled environments, ate's, fun equipment, etc.
    At that temperature, it would definatly not be good. It probubly would work, but it's not recommended. Some power supplies will shut off if they are exposed to such high temperatures.
    Actually, I interprete the reason for the etasis being so bad is because of efficiency. The platform is not designed to be efficient. It's based on a server psu platform. what it does do well, is hold onto its voltages, and provide consistant clean power, which delivers on what is claimed by the manufacturer.

Actually, the Silencer is made by Seasonic. I'd take a good industrial server psu over it, for the reason that for what you're getting, it's rather expensive. That, and silence with a single 80mm screamer? right.. PCP&C seems to be a fan of the "cram more electronics in, and then toss in an 80mm screamer" when they could see massive benefits with using higher efficiency (silencer series excluded) designs.

They're single railed, but when the stickers and manual were printed, they were on an older version of atx spec, and to comply with the specifications, they had to stretch the truth.

Tags: Add Tags