1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows To upgrade to Vista or not, opinions please

Discussion in 'Software' started by paul_s57, 11 May 2007.

1. paul_s57

paul_s57 What's a Dremel?

Ok, so a while back a upgraded my PC with the idea that one day I would upgrade from XP to Vista, however I am still not sure if it is worth it yet. I would be upgrading to Vista Home Premium 64-Bit.

What I am not sure about is if everything I want to work on it does yet, firstly I have an iPod nano, now I have just seen today that a fix has been released for this, but does iTunes work on vista 64 (as i have heard mixed reports). Also does Steam run it for games?

Finally when I upgraded the hardware I got 2 hard drives for storage (main OS on a seperate drive) I run in a mirrored raid setup (I have had too many hard drives fail on me over the years, and i didn't wanna loose any more data) so would this current setup still work?

Thanks in advance

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I can't speak for iTunes or the RAID but Steam works perfectly (and has for some time now).

3. Bobthequill

Bobthequill What's a Dremel?

Yup

I can speak for iTunes. Have just loaded it under Vista and iTunes updated automatically on the net.

I was a bit concerned about losing all my music files as I couldn't remember if I had left the ipod in auto-update or manual. If in auto, the songs not present on your main drive would be removed from the ipod as soon as you plug it in and I had no songs available to preload. Luckily I had left it in manual and the iTunes automatically added all the tunes on the iPod to the new library.

Bobthequill

4. paul_s57

paul_s57 What's a Dremel?

Is this vista 64bit or 32bit, because for 32 bit Apple state it should work fine, but 64 is (well was) a different story apparently

5. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Interesting that you are going for home premium, I was going to get ultimate upgrade BUT due to some reported performance problems (even with the clean install loophole) I am now going for home premium too, I think it is a wise decision :)

6. Shaolyen

Shaolyen Minimodder

I'm one of those people you hear about who have had nothing but bad experiences with Vista. I was given a free copy of by Microsoft at launch and had problems with my nVidia graphics card. Still, I don't blame Microsoft for that - after a while nVidia sorted out their drivers and things improved. But performance was still dire compared to how things used to be on XP, and while it was a reasonably pretty operating system it always felt like an upgrade whenever I used a PC running XP. I play a lot of games on my machine and playing anything on Vista felt like my PC had half the RAM it used to.

Last week I got rid of Vista for good. I'll miss being able to hit the Windows key and typing in the name of the program I want to launch. That's the only thing I'll miss.

7. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

ive been on ultimate 64bit since launch, i also use winxp to as well, but i am finding i am using winxp less and less now.
    vista for me was stable and crash free, yes i had the dredded nvidia looping tdr error, but that went when i had my 8800gtx card RMA'd. graphics drivers are good now for me, not as good as xp, but good.
    there are non compatability issues, and some proggies that just wont work in vista, but far fewer than there were.
    IMHO vista is ready now for the enthusiast to give it ago, but not ready for the office or home user yet, for ythat youll have to wait for the first service pack.

8. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Ha -

That Microsoft....

"Ready ... for the enthusiast to give it a *try but not ready for the office or home user yet"
    - Isn't that the description of beta software?

*Please note - I changed one word in the quote but I don't feel that I changed the meaning.

9. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

well .......yes but few problems with vist that i have experianced actully lie with vista, its everythign else that has issues, but these are just my findings

10. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

I've been using Windows Vista on and off since Beta 1 (damn it's hard to believe but that was since late summer of 2005) Back then I had Athlon based system, and apart from sound drivers, everything worked pretty well.

With every beta more and more problems were eliminated, however the biggest jump I saw was BETA RC2. That was the day I switched to Vista from XP for real. The install is quick and simple. My LGA755 Intel Pentium D based system is fully compatible, and I don't have any problem with Vista. I like the way small things make my life easier, especially after many years of having to deal with network sharing and other daily problems on XP.
    I loved the evolutionary updates and improvements on Vista, but I was not too blown away. However then I installed Vista on Asus laptop, and wow, the sleep function and included mobility settings/features were awesome.

I highly recommend switching to Vista. My graphic Design suites work fine, I had to update Nero burning software though.

Edit: Both the laptop and the PC are running 32-bit Ultimate version.

Last edited: 17 May 2007
  11. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I have been using vista ultimate since launch now on a brand new system that I bought specifically so that it was compatable with vista in every way.
    I initially had a few problems with some programs, but that was more lack of understanding than anything else. a few google searches helped me understand what was wrong. I think 64 bit would be a bit more restrictive. I am runnign 32 bit because 99% of stuff will work with 32 bit, and stuff that doesnt work can usually be modified to work.

Right now I would only use 64 bit if I was into professional applications like 3ds max which has its own 64 bit version.

Tags: