1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question to those who went through Uni (esp. Physics grads)

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkReaper, 12 May 2007.

1. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Now I know why I don't like bacon :rolleyes:

2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I spent 4.5 years in college to graduate with a BA in Philosophy (religious Philosophy) and English (Creative Writing) and all I got to show for it was Reverend in front of my name and a job passing burgers out the window after a run of bad job luck and the amazing dearth of legitimate work in this city (a college town, and they'll work for peanuts-or beer, as the case may be) BUT my own business, which is taking off finally, and showed profits last year, is giving me lots of opportunity to teach myself physics as I learn to design my own CPU and GPU waterblocks and other watercooling apparatus...

Hopefully, in a year's time you'll all be running my systems. I WILL be giving a Bit discount, thank you very much...

3. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Yikes, was this down to lack of skill for the subject or just doing about 0 work for his last year or so ? Astro is about the hardest and most boring physics I can imagine - thats why I switched off it, and on to computational :)

4. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Really? I thought our Astro module was the most interesting we've had this year - far nicer than atomic or EM

5. Silence

Silence What's a Dremel?

Spent four years studying for (and achieving!) a degree in Philosophy. 6 months later and I started my career in Digital Forensics. I managed to convince my boss (at the time) that the degree was more relevant than he first thought :p

6. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

Similar to what he said:

uni: BEng Electronic and software engineering.
    job: Software engineer

I always tell people to look at online job vacancies (what you wanna be) and see what is needed, and then do that academic course to help you.

Good luck with studying. :thumb:

7. koola

koola Minimodder

Uni: Bsc Computer Science.
    Placement: IT Assistant/software,web programmer.
    Future job: Properly a plumber (they earn more).

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

You would usually only take a course in EM as its apparantly quite relevant to many brances of physics and I enjoy atomic and nuclear physics more than most of the others. Astrophysics is basically lots of theory about stuff, its kind of a bridge between physics and theoretical physics as far as I can tell. At least at edinburgh you never get to look through a telescope on a normal astrophysics BSc.

Would you really just want to be where the money is at though ? My aim is to get a job I enjoy, and as long as I can get a place to live and get my family the stuff they need then its all gravy baby!

9. koola

koola Minimodder

I'm what you say; Jack of all trades, master of none. Anything where the money is, I'm happy with :)