1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Creative Gigaworks T20 speakers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 15 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

LOL, did you really try this? whats the difference in sound quality with pencils in it? Does it matter whether it's pencils or markers? ;)

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I've got a set of these, and I, too, am extremely impressed by them. They're certainly well worth the money, and it's nice to not have a Logitech sub under the desk - they're enormous...

4. Mr. Oizo

Mr. Oizo That yellow furry animal-thingy

I think that with some bass that they will start making a shaking noise :lol:

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I've got these speakers plugged up to the TV / xbox 360 and they are great. Not brilliant for room shakingly loud drum & bass though.

6. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Then they are nothing for me :hip:
    But they seem really, so i gone head over to the next shop i take a look.

7. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

no "Company of Heroes" test? blasphemy!

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

"..and the bass thumping out so hard that pencils flew out of the top of our speakers."

Sold :D

9. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Can anyone give an opinion on these compared to a £100 range 2.1 Logitech setup?

10. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

heh.. they don't look all that bad for 2.0 speakers.. nice that they have all those extra conenctions on them... don't think they'd work for me though.. I loves me some surround sound, so personally 5.1>2.0 anyday

11. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I've had mine for a while now (since July last year I think) and they're great. The main benefit is that they're compact and the wiring isn't an issue when you only have 2 speakers. I wouldn't want to deal with all of the wires involved in a 5.1 setup, or have to deal with the bulky subwoofer.

12. loratio

loratio What's a Dremel?

They are grrrreat

I've had a set of these for a few months now and I'm really satisfied.
    They have the best stereospective reproduction I've yet heard.
    Sometimes listening to music with strange noises I look around to see where the odd sound is emerging from :)
    Their tonal range is also pretty good. Being pretty keen on HiFi I'd describe them as lacking some higher midtone and quite some bass. But compared to any other desktop stereo computer speakers Ii've ever heard, these rule all competition.

Despite lacking at some frequencies, the sound is very clear and present and listening to my music in front of my computer has been extremely revived.

Just like bit-tech I'd give tis set 10/10 on performance vs. price
    Design is good but the little blue diode on the front is so extremely bright that I've had to cover it with tens of layers of Scotch (Magic) Tape to dimm it not to have it annoy me.
    So 8/10 on design I'd say. Considering price maybe even 9/10.

Highly recommended :)

13. Lemur 6

Lemur 6 What's a Dremel?

How do these compare to Swans?

14. GamingHobo

GamingHobo What's a Dremel?

Just to add to love in it was my desk Joe pinched the T20s from. Great set, but it's the price that's the treat. Frankly, I could care less about 2.1s, they are poor halfway house between full-range stereo sets and proper surround sound. Good 2.1s do obviously exist, but I can live without all the mess.

This was a real eye opening review too, I always wondered what Joe listened to and I now know he's got Meatloaf in his collection. Interesting...

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

[RANT]
    Aww please you can't really say the lacking of a subwoofer is a good thing! At the same time it means there's no low bass. I'm not saying I'd like to listen to the Creative/Logitech-subwoofers, but still it's just so wrong.

One can say that on the range they give out any sounds, they sound nice, but it won't change the fact they do not repeat the low frequencies.
    [/RANT]

Obviously you can get better sound quality out of 2.0 than 2.1 set, if the price stays the same. It's nice to hear "PC-speakers" have evolved since I last time payed a tinyest bit of interest to them.

A good review alltogether, though I would have loved to see the internals of those thingys. Maybe there are some bricks inside to add weight ;)

16. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I'll stick with my Home AV until computer speakers go optical thanks. But nice review none the less, might consider them for the playstation.

17. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Nice one :)

I've been considering these for a while as i'm sick of my big soddin Logitech sub taking up all the leg room under my desk and the wires everywhere. I don't need tons of bass on my pc as I have a dencent A/V set up for that and use my headphones on my pc quite often anyway. Think i'll order some.

18. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

And oh btw, can someone compare them to the Z-2200 or Z-5500 in terms of sound quality of the satellite speakers? That would be interesting as those sets use "real" drivers that can be bought separately ($30 each or so), and have also been used in many DIY-projects around the internets.

19. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

how heavy are these things, and is this because creative have weighted them or because they have good quality heavy drivers in them ??

Also, i still doubt this compares in any way to a decent multichannel amp hooked up through a digital link and a decent set of speakers

20. loratio

loratio What's a Dremel?

From my listening experience with the Z-5500 (never having owned them but listened to them in various places) and the T20 I would say that the sattelites come in pretty close, but all together the T20 do not pack the "oomph" and full spectrum that the Z-5500 set is capable of.
    Meaning that I wouldn't be surprised if the two systems used the same drivers.

The right speaker containing the amp weighs approx. 1100g and the left weighs in at 900g.
    I tried disassembling the left unit by removing the six screws in the front and trying to pry it open, but seeing as it didn't give I instead balanced the speaker to see what made it heavy.
    Approximately two thirds (2/3) of the weight is above center which means it's the driver sitting atop that gives the speaker most of it's weight. I don't think they have been weighted out by lumps of lead :)

From the sound of the speakers I also believe that Creative has put quite an effort into the amplifying part as you cannot have great units sound great without quality amplification and vice versa.

Being a pair of desktop stereo speakers they do not try to rival real A/V equipment.

The pair for the asking price for the purpose is brilliant. :)
    And no I'm not sponsored by Creative :-D

Tags: Add Tags