1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware R600: ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep, that's right, it's very similar to what a CPU does, but on a massively multi-threaded (or parallel) scale.

I'm honestly not sure - I see what you're getting at, but I don't think there are linux drivers out yet :blush:

I'll plop it in and see. Give me a few

2. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Correct, you would need to cut down into the block to make space for the shim.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'll be doing some overclocking a little later (I simply ran out of time on this one, especially after one allnighter and another as-near-as-dammit allnighter). There's plenty more R600 coverage to come.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Yipee!

Exams are over for today, and there is R600 coverage!

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

I don't think it will, but I don't have a Maze 4 or 5 block on hand. Anything that has a base that is larger than an R580 chip package (minus shim) isn't going to fit without either modification to the block or shim removal.

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

HaHa that was a great read Tim, i have got to love the picture of the 'test set up'

At the bottom of the page to rigs set up, one runing SLI 8800's and the other with a single ATI card, but to the left of the shot theres a a graphics cards lieing around, looked like 7950 GX2's and i think there was another 8800 or 8600 hiding there!

i would love to play in your office for a day!

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The reason for these questions is because when you look at AMDs figures for raw power the Terahertz output is HUGE.

I want to spend some time experimenting with development on them for some personel projects.

Going to have to contact AMD for developer info in this way, do you have any contact details that you could PM me?

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Graph labels should now line up regardless of browser, you might need to ctrl-f5.

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Looks like i'm going to need a new PSU either way. My old enermax 350w has managed with a a64 x2 and sli 6600gt but looks like it will choke on an 8800gts.

I read that the 8800gts requires 16 lane pci-e slot, so this presuably means that sli won't be possible on the older boards which split the 16 lane slots into two 8 lanes ala nforce4 boards? Based on the fact that i'm never going get SLI without an entirely new rig would i get away with a decent ~500w PSU?

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

the 8800 GTS runs fine in X8. :thumb:

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

In that case, time to re-read the PSU round up. 700w ought to give plenty of over head for SLI and other bits and pieces. Cheers for both articles just what the doctor (bank man) ordered.

12. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

Excellent article Tim.

After all the hype surrounding the R600, I really was expecting more from it.
    Not that it bothers me that much, I've been enjoying my 8800 GTS for a couple of months now. :)

13. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Sad realisation, the 8800 series is still on top.. Good review :)

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You really REALLY want to wait for some full gpu block. We have a Vadim with two R600s in it here and the GPU is only being cooled leaving the memory BURNING hot. I'd thoroughly recommend at least heatsinks on the memory as well, if not waiting til EK/DD design a block specifically for it.

15. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Awesome article. My head is still spining from all the techno talk :D
    Like others I was expected more from the 600. Now I see why they could not place it against a 8800gtx. That should have made some bells ring a few weeks ago.

Now the news is out of the closed, i wonder how much "fanboy waiters" will go out and buy one or get a gts/gtx instead.

16. 0mega

0mega What's a Dremel?

Where's the apples and oranges stuff you guys used to do? It was the best indication of how performance scales at quality, and the only thing i personally feels how a GPU really performs in the real world. Benchmarks and FPS graphs just don't do it for me.

[​IMG]

THAT is what i liked to see. now its just boring graphs....

And what were your impressions of the CFAA? it looks REALLY blurry in the screenshots iive seen. but you guys have none...

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Page 8:
    :)

Very few people liked Oranges to Apples so we went back to apples to apples, but they are still in game tests, using our own custom time demos where applicable. The best playable settings just physically takes far far too long to test, Tim would be writing the article for three weeks if that was the case. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 17 May 2007
  18. orb

orb satisfying.

Can you link some screen shots of the games at 2560x1600?

19. naokaji

naokaji whatever

once ati irons out the drivers problems, (so the performance lives up to the abilities of the card) it will be a good competition for the 8800 xxx cards....

the problem with that is that by the time it happens g90 and r650 will be out....

so i'll just stick with my 8800 gts 320 mb

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

What games?

Tags: Add Tags