1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC xbox 1 with xbmc questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by needmorstuff, 12 May 2007.

1. needmorstuff

needmorstuff What's a Dremel?

good to hear m8 - i'm not refering to xbox.. just my media devices (rapsodyn35,ziova cs505 etc.) the xbox must handle things a lot better. excellent news.. but I'll keep my cat5 ;-0

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

IIRC the Xbox can output in 720p. Not had any need to try it yet but I will do soon.

3. d3fiant

d3fiant What's a Dremel?

I have my xbox running over component at 576i (PAL mode), I tried running it in 720p (NTSC mode) but the cheap advanced cable Ive got doesnt handle it too well with ghosting effects, however the xbox seems to handle 720p fine. Ive even tried 1080i but thats when the xboxs celery cpu really begins to struggle, as well as lack of memory. To be honest 576i on my LCD TV looks sweet, would love to go to 720p permanantly but decent xbox advanced video cables are hard to find nowdays.

Have to say that when people see my modded xbox with xbmc they soon want one, I modded my 7th xbox at the weekend for a m8, gettin pretty good, only took me 10mins (no lpc rebuild tho)

4. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

I still think that for anyone who doesn't want to record TV or play high def footage XBMC is by far the best media center solution. Its quick stable and hugely compatible, you wouldnt regret buying an xbox for it. I now have a full media PC running media portal for the sake of running high def footage and while I like it I would rather be running XBMC, roll on XBMC 360.

5. riggs

riggs ^_^

Finally got mine set up last night...woot! Thank god for solder less chips!

Currently just running EvoX with XBMC as a secondary app. Might have a fiddle tonight and setup XBMC as the default dash though.
    Need to get a bigger HDD too - using the original 8GB atm, but have a 40GB spare. Then again, I might aswell just spend the £40 and get myself a 200GB WD...audio/video jukebox methinks.

Ooh, and my bargain (£2.50) DVD remote arrived this morning. Woot-tastic!

Can't believe it's taken me this long to sort it all out. Never owned an Xbox during their heyday, and I've only just discovered how fantastic they are (were) once you 'unlock' their potential.

6. d3fiant

d3fiant What's a Dremel?

I would strongly suggest u use XBMC as well as the MC360 skin, http://blackbolt.x-scene.com , as ur default dash, if ur gonna upgrade ur HD, make sure its PATA and not SATA, also some people have had issues with 300GB+ drives due to FATX limitations, I run an 80Gb and 120GB in my boxes but have built ones with 200GB drives. Did u use the x3aptr solderless adapter, never got on with those, solder every time ;)

7. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Also if they're over 138 GB you have to **** about with partitioning them and it's a bit annoying. 120GB is ideal. And yeah, I use MC360 as my default dash, it rocks.

8. riggs

riggs ^_^

Yes - was a bit fiddly to install though. Normally I'd agree and solder, but after the mess I made of a PS2, I wasn't prepared to take any risks!

As for the MC360 skin, I don't like it. I actually prefer the default (black/carbon) one.

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The default skin is the best. Python support is brilliant aswell.

10. d3fiant

d3fiant What's a Dremel?

yeah PM3 isnt bad, but u can change the MC360 default to carbon also, just dl the xbr file directly from within MC360 (as long as ur xbox is net connected of course) I run the carbon 2 ver of MC360, looks cleaner than PM3 imho

11. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

Sorry to get in on this thread late. XBMC rocks. Plain and simple, it is the best software for streaming I have ever used. I also think it is the best dash. Sorry Apple TV, take notes. Open source is the only way to develop decent software. I am downloading rev9030 fromT3CH tonight (50 meg).

Personally, I did not bother to add a larger HD. I just use the network and access my media PC. The apps fit fine on the stock HD and I burn backups. My only problem is with MAMEoX and the size of the ROM library.

I am seriously thinking about getting a few more XBOX1's just to run XBMC in other rooms. TiVo and DTV's HR20 can't compare.

I upgraded my XBOX by adding component outputs. It was a pain soldering to the tiny pads, but not impossible. Since the cable is not offered anymore, it was the only solution. As an added bonus, I have a switch that moves from HD to SD, and it allows the XBOX to boot without a video cable connected. Check around the net for an instructable. The picture quality is very good on my 50" Sony but lacking on my 71" Samsung. I use a 1080p MacBook for that monster.

One final note, it is awesome playing Stargate Defender with a X-Arcade Tankstick on a 71" HDTV. :D

12. riggs

riggs ^_^

You jammy *******! :D

Another quick question; I downloaded the Transformers trailer (480p mov), but it doesn't seem to play very well through XBMC - very jerky playback. Is this the Xbox's fault, or is it a Quicktime issue?
    On my PC, it won't play through Zoomplayer, but MPC handles it fine...

13. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

For all of you looking for an xbox component cable, heres the one i bought a couple weeks ago and it rocks for XBMC. Its a monster cable (yeah i know) component cable with Dolby digital out for $6.00 on amazon. Heres a link

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable.../ref=cm_lmf_tit_6_rsrsrs0/103-0821506-7155841
    Dont buy directly from amazon tho, just go to the new and used section and there they are, brand new, for 6 bucks

14. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

I still think it is elegant to make the component and digital audio built in. Follow this link from xbox-scene. This is what I used to add the connection to my xbox. Be careful; the solder points are VERY small.

Riggs:
    I don't know much about the decoder for mov files in XBMC, but remember that the XBOX has a pretty slow CPU so if the decoder is not efficient, then it will stutter. Also, are you streaming wireless? This could be an issue.

15. needmorstuff

needmorstuff What's a Dremel?

got my xbox and set it up... superb, simply superb. Apple movie trailers are excellent. Family sat in lounge today watching a backed up copy of Bridge to terabithia today... stuttered and stalled 15 mins into the movie on my media player (rapsody n35), plan b daughters bedroom with xbox - chewed it up and spat it out. Thumbs up going to get another one for sure.

16. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

hey guys, just a few points i would like clarification on...

i got an xbox from argos before christmas, back when they were doing one with 2 controllers and 3 games for £50ish. I saw it as a good deal, and was planning to modify it, however i have checked around and it seems that i have got one of the newest revisions (1.6b or something). I am planning on grabbing an x3aptr solderless kit along with the xecuter chip, as i am useless at soldering, but was wondering if it would be worth upgrading the harddrive aswell? and also if the x3aptr supports the latest revision? the cheapest i can find the chip and the adapter are at http://www.kanection.co.uk/ anyone else got any better suggestions of stores?

Cheers

Hugh

17. d3fiant

d3fiant What's a Dremel?

try mrmodchips.co.uk, they do the Xecuter 3 CE & Xapt3r 16 Combo for £43.99, have used them for all my xbox needs, otherwise its £14.49 for just the xapt3r 16 which u need as opposed to the normal xapt3r. I would always suggest solder as its not that hard but understand its not for everyone. If u want to kepp *backup games* on the xbox then a bigger hard drive is a must, if its just media then you can always stream it. However with the price of drives at the moment I would suggest u grab a 200GB (bigger can have problems)

Good luck

18. riggs

riggs ^_^

I'd agree that buying a bigger HDD is a must - streaming aint all it's cracked up to be (unless you're using a wired network).

I got my stuff from Kanection - arrived within 24hours of ordering...very happy customer.
    I went for this, and selected the v1.6 Xapter (which fits the v1.6b afaik). Installation was simple enough, if a little fiddly to begin with (quick tip; use a pin/needle to widen the holes on the mobo, and a pair of tweezers to insert the Xapter 'legs').

The above package comes with everything you need for a solderless install however, it still comes supplied with the pin header, wires and 'LPC rebuild PCB' if you decide to solder it instead. I've moved my box around a fair bit since the install, and havn't had any problems yet - it's still pretty sturdy, and doesn't look like the chip's gonna fall off anytime soon.

The 2.6CE chip is fine for just running homebrew etc, but if you're wanting more advanced features (ability to connect an LCD display for example) you'll want to go for the Xecuter 3. Personally I didn't see the point, and I'm a tight sod! The 2.6CE does everything I need it to, and for £25 you can't go wrong...

[edit] Mods; just realised that we're probably breaking forum rules here...if there's anything I've mentioned that I shouldn't have, please edit my post(s) and slap my wrists!

Last edited: 31 May 2007
  19. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Yeah, I run a 2.6CE and I'm yet to see the advantages of the 3 series chips for a 'casual user' - I.e. XBMC. At no point have I regretted buying it, anyway :eek:)

20. d3fiant

d3fiant What's a Dremel?

I went for the x3 simply because I have an LCD in the front of my xbox so I can play music without a TV, use the LCD for navigation, but yeah the 2.6CE will do for 80% of people

Tags: