1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zero Degree | Obviously a project log!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by El1m1nate, 16 May 2007.

1. El1m1nate

El1m1nate What's a Dremel?

Hi all,
    Well its my third mod! And i haven't even finished the first two! [Their totally boring and look to much like normal cases].
    This is my proper case.. the case im making 4 my awesome computer [specs below] and it will have all the money i can put into it! Saying that, im making a small cnc mill to help me make it!

My design is a cube with water cooling, inbuilt lcd and more! Here is the sketchup model.
    [​IMG]
    LCD [Obviously]
    [​IMG]
    I cant belive ViewSonic just built a shell for it! look @ the 'InnoLux' sticker on it.
    [​IMG]
    This mod has actually been going on for about a week! Except i haven't found a 'suitable' name until now!
    since its a cube, i needed to have something that would be exact. Thats when i came across these metal bars. Awesome! I put them together, each one measuring 425mm and i also took apart my viewsonic VA702 LCD :thumb: as seen on right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    OK, now i got 1 dvdrom drive and a dvd writer... how to mount them? where?
    I chose the top middle as that would allow for ease of use and when backlit with uv light, would look awesome :D [A couple of months ago i got 100 uv leds off ebay :D]

I got some 3mmx12mmx12mm Aluminium L bracket... 3m long! almost didnt fit in the car! and cut it up into cd-rom size. i also got 2 packets of screws. 1/8" for the case and 3mm for the LCD and all the drives. I made a weird thing that helped put the dvd roms together, then i took the dvds out [to add leds].
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Disaster! one of the leds which i burnt holes 4. It stopped a gear from working... but i got a hot knife and smoothed out the bump. I had a look @ it in the dark... it really didn't look good. I ended up putting the leds behind the CD Tray and im going to paint it UV blue :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took off the front panels and sanded then spray painted them black. [still drying][no pics...yet].
    Next i got some fans from my case [which i got with my computer] a Thermaltake Soprano. Nice case. Great Fans. :thumb: and spray painted them black. [orange is not one of my main colors in the case]

I added a L Aluminum piece to the top of the drives, so when i get my taps from ebay.. i can attach them :D.. still until then it wont be that 'active' but there will be the cnc.
    [​IMG]

Ill have some watercooling.. but none that you've ever seen b4. Its going to be air cooled in a sort of wind tunnel in the middle with powerful fans and home made watercooling [copper].

I need some feedback from you guys. Should i also post the log of the cnc mill here? Meaning that ill have a break from Zero Degree [cause i need the cnc!] and post how i make the cnc here?
    GLHF Modding,
    El1m1nate

2. thermalnightmare47

thermalnightmare47 What's a Dremel?

i love cubes and ones especially with LCD in then anywho yea i would post the CNC here too if you want

3. chiper136

chiper136 What's a Dremel?

Very nice design on the windows. Though i do wonder how it will be effected by all the inards.

How do you plan to get the design on the faces?

4. El1m1nate

Ahh, well im going to cnc the diamonds out of the clear plexi then cnc small blue ones that fit in the clear plexi.

5. chiper136

chiper136 What's a Dremel?

Nice idea.

:dremel: get going

6. El1m1nate

cnc pics r on the way
    but there is a problem. I have steel rods and i need something, like ball bearing type things, to make a heavy load [1kg] to be able to slide across [so that the thread with the stepper motor doesnt carry the load]

any suggestions?

7. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Post a diagram so we have an idea what you are trying to do.

8. El1m1nate

Yeah here is the design of the cnc (ive made the base) and the mesurements are different.
    [​IMG]
    The middle one is threaded, it must have no load

Last edited: 21 May 2007
  9. El1m1nate

Taps 3/8x24 and 1/8x27 arriving within 2 weeks
    128x64 LCD with KS0108 Controller arriving within 2 weeks
    Without the taps, i cant mount the lcd so ill be working on the cnc @ the moment.
    Does anyone know of any online shop / ebay that sell cheap stepper motorz?

10. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Make something like this for both load-bearing rails:
    [​IMG]
    It's supposed to be a composite dry sliding bushings in a simple bushing cradle that's adjustable (and easy to straighten) from both sides. Two for each load bearing rail.

SKF didn't have a CAD for the bushing so I made a quick mockup. Sorry it turned out crap. You'd want to have the screws adjustable from the opposite side than the rail. I'm too tired and hungry to really start fighting with solidworks, perhaps another time.