1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Columns Performance per what?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 20 May 2007.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's very gay tbh. I can see the point he tries to make, but if you can save yourself money and have a stonkingly fast bit of hardware, why not?

2. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

I'm actually undervolting my processor to lower my power usage, and as sort of a long-term stress phase before I start overclocking.

3. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Erm, the article did seem to miss the fact that as eco-friendly and power saving as the C2D chips are, when you throw a little voltage at them, their TDP shoots right back up. Hell, my E6400 is in 150W land with 1.55v @ 3200.

As to power draw, a quad core (or even 4x4) system with a few GB of ram and dual 2900's would hurt :(

4. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

QFT, once you start paying the bills you turn everything off! TV, lights, VCR, digital box...hell anything and everything that uses power goes off and you only need lights when you cant phyisically see and your eyes cant adujst quickly enough!

lord knows how im going to have a gaming machiene in the future when i want to save money.
    Anyone know the power consumption on a fully flat out nano-itx board? maybe it can be run from a solar pannel!!! :idea:

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

You do get a tax rebate if you install a solar panel in/on your house iirc, a grant at very least.

6. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

is that in the US or UK ? (sounds US like to me)

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

It doesn't surprise me that it made Kyle laugh to be honest because he drives around in a Hummer H2 - that's why I found his comments about R600's power consumption rather amusing too...

It's fair to say that a lot of Americans don't give a damn about the environment - it's the world's largest producer of greenhouse gas emissions. The American Government has turned its back on the Kyoto agreement, so there's not much hope there either. Although, there are some States signing up to Kyoto on their own. IIRC, one of the big motor companies (I believe it's Ford off the top of my head) is in the process of suing the state of California because of the emission requirements the state has enforced.

Of course, but you're running the chips out of spec :)

8. exceededgoku

exceededgoku What's a Dremel?

Actually i remember when I had my X800XT with a single slot cooler and much prefer the days of good old single slot GPUs. It was a much simpler life! Then came along the X1800s with their rediculous heatsinks and fans that made more sound than an F16 Afterburner attached to the back of your PC. :wallbash: :wallbash: And the fact that it renders precious slots unusable, you'd have to be quite foolish to want a crossfire/sli solution when the amount of slots used renders all other hardware impossible to install :rolleyes:

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

10. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

The second looks like a dedicated 45A line for an oven :p (as you suggested)
    ::edit:: looking at the socket it says 30A!

I totally agree though that power usage is getting out of hand. Specifically for us Europeans where power prices are constantly on the up it matters ALOT.

Is there actually any good/easy way to calculate how much wattage an overclocked CPU uses?

11. GoodBytes

yea, I didn't find a nice picture quickly on Google image other then this one... close enough.

12. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

I live in the U.S. and I'd like to comment on what you said. I care about emissions and polution only when regarding air quality and keeping the enviroment clean. I don't think "global warming" is something that we need to worry about. The Kyoto protocol is just a political stunt with no real tangible outcome possible. The earth's temperature is going to increase whether I drive my car to uni or take a bus every day (32 miles to and 32 miles back). It follows a cycle, and it just so happens that the temperature is increasing now.

Besides, the faster we use up all the fossil fuels, the faster we'll have to switch to some alternative. And you're kidding youself if you think we'll stop using them before they actually run out. It doesn't matter how fast they're depleted, they're still going to release X amount of emissions over 25 years or X amount of emissions over 125 years.

Read this book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_fear

Anyway, I'm sure my opinions about power usage will change once I actually start paying my own electric bill :p

(I debated posting this, but I clicked submit anyway)

13. Wolfwood

Wolfwood What's a Dremel?

Ok, and did you ever consider an alternative may take years to develop?
    so what youre proposing is just go about wasting as much **** as possible, because it will cause us to use all of our available fossile fuels, THEN we can start on a safer alternative?

Thats completely stupid, if we cut down on use of oil etc now, it gives scientists longer to come up with solutions to problems we face, or do you just like putting people under pressure?

14. GoodBytes

Wasn't Middle Age period the hottest period, that's why we were doing buildings in brick?!?

OMG the topic has changed!

15. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

I was being partly sarcastic. :p But you have to agree that pressure would be a great incentive...

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Usually it's good netiquette, when being sarcastic, to at least include a wink.

The reason the US as a whole is the largest contributor to greenhouse gasses is greed. This has been proved time and again by their wanting to be in control of oil fields dotted around the globe.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'd suggest Economic security, which is the aim of every nation.

18. identikit

identikit Minimodder

UK. The gov. will foot part of the bill. Also if you get big enough panels you can even have a surplus yourself. Which you can sell back to the power company.

19. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Well i think that PSU manufacturers are doing the more watt race better then the cpu en gpu makers combined.

I rather see a realworld benchmark that a 1kw PSU is REALLY needed to power a system with a dual core, one highend graphcard, two 500gb harddisk and a dvdwriter. And then running with a good game or doing desktop applications like burning a dvd or do some hd copying.

I think the outcome will be that you dont need more then a 350w psu.

So bit-people, please test this, you got all those ridiculous psu's laying arround anyway. Call the test: "Do you really need a 1000watt psu?"

20. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

^ Agreed! ^

Go on, throw a metaphorical custard pie in Kyle's face!

Tags: Add Tags