1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thermal Compound on CPU Ceramic?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by semiSfear, 24 Aug 2002.

1. semiSfear

semiSfear What's a Dremel?

Hi all.

I just assembled my new hardware and did a test run. Everything went fine, nothing started to burn =)

During my test run I checked the temperature of my CPU. It was at about 47 degrees C (when I was surfing and had about 5 open IE windows). Since I used Arctic Silver 3 as thermal compund I thought they had some temperature benchmarks with AC3. They had none, but they did have instructions for AS3. I then realized I had aplied my AS3 wrong. I applied AS3 on both the core and around the core on the ceramic. This was ofcourse wrong so I tried to clean it up the best I could. There are still some AS3 on the ceramic as it looks a bit discolored around the core.

Now I am a bit worried that the compound may/can damage my CPU. Is this true? Or is there nothing to worry about.

Some of you may see this question a bit odd, but this is the first time I have set up a AMD system on my own.

Thanks in advance.

2. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

I wouldn't worry too much as long as it is fairly clean and not crossing any of the bridges or electronics (Could cause a short). You can get some pretty good cleaners from OCS abd similar, but there are other alcohol based options for giving it a good clean off. Don't forget when reapplying though, a paper thin layer and only on the core!;)

3. semiSfear

As I tried to clean it of some AS3 compund got on one of the "small silver squares" around the core (dunno if it's bridges or chache). But before I turned on the system a second time after the cleaning I made sure that there were nothing left on the "silver squares". But there may be some particles left on em.

4. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

use some acetone to clean the AS3, works really great.

but AS3 is potentially conductive... if the particles are colse enough... but you may not want to risk your cpu life.

there's some cleaner suggested on artic silver official site... you may want to take a look.

5. semiSfear

Seems like I have to go buy some acetone then. Thnx, I'll go back to my cleaning duties then =)

6. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

AS3 is not conductive, since the people who make it have worked very hard to stop it being so. However, it is capacative (ie it can store charge), and this can have bad effects. I wouldn't worry about it too much...if it works now, it won't stop working because of it, and you may risk doing real damage by removing and reinstalling the heatsink.

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I find it easier to apply the thermal compound to the heatsink rather than the cpu where they meet. This way you don't get any on parts of the CPU you don't want it on ;)

8. Fiver

Fiver What's a Dremel?

or even better use masking tape around the die :)

9. semiSfear

Think I have to reinstall the HSF since I'm not so satesfied with my CPU temperature. When I idle (surf the web etc) I get about 47 degrees C. Chassi temperature is at about 37 degrees C. I use a Lian-Li PC-61 with the stock fans and a 32 CFM fan on my Alpha heatsink.

Maybe someone have any cooling suggestions for me. But I don't wan't a case that sounds like a helicopter since I sleep in the same room as the computer.

10. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

37C for chassis.... Mine is at 23C... yeah I have air conditionning but still.... you may want to get a better airflow in your case...

11. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

37 is very high for chassis...wat cpu??

12. semiSfear

The chassi temperature I can fix. But it's the CPU temperature I'm worried about. I have a AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (T-Bred Core)

13. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Fix the chassis temp, and the CPU temp will be fixed also. The greatest heatsink in the world can't cool lower than the air around it, so if that air is at 37C, you are starting at 37C. That your CPU is only 10C above that is pretty impressive. Reduce case temp, and the cpu temp will go down without further changes.

14. semiSfear

Any suggestions on some better case fans? Got a Tt casefan that suck 34 CFM with a noise level at 21 dBA. Think that case fans like that should cover it? Or should I go with the Lian-Li stock fans?

15. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

A couple of Mechatronics 53CFMs would be a good compromise. Just make sure that the basics are in place i.e. front - intake, rear - exhaust. Also make sure that airflow is not too hampered through the case.don't forget that it is supposedly still summer and temps will be a lttle higher beacause of this. Still though, with those readings you do need to address it!

16. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Put a 53CFM mechatronics onto the Alpha, and get some Panaflo H1A 41CFM fans for the case, and you're set. No annoying deltas, although it will be louder than the present setup, it will be noticeably cooler. Also, with the Alpha, make sure that the fan is taking air out of the heatsink, not blowing in.

17. semiSfear

Taking the air out? I thought the fan should blow at the heatsink, not the opposit. 40-50 CFM fans would be great, but still, I sleep in the same room as my computer so I don't wan't it to sound like a helicopter.

I also need a 3 pin connector to the heatsink fan as my mobo requires a fan with "sensor" (3 cables). Does the 53CFM mechatronics fan have 2 or 3 cables?

Last edited: 25 Aug 2002
  18. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

The mechatronics is very quiet considering the airflow. Anyway, if you are asleep, you don't need the computer on....

I can sleep with mine on , with a mechatronics 53CFM, Panaflo 41CFM and evercool 29CFM running.

Most heatsinks you do indeed have the airflow going into the heatsink, but alphas are designed the other way, to have air drawn out of them, and are the only heatsinks I know of which work this way.

The mechatronics has two connectors on it...a 4-pin from which it takes the power (since it would damage many mobos) and a 3-pin which gives the monitoring signal to the mobo.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2002
  19. semiSfear

Thanks a lot IsaacSibson :D

You guys have really helped me. I have one question left thou. Since I live in Sweden and all the good hardware suppliers here that I know of don't have that fan. U know any online shops that do sell it, also to other countrys?