1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TribalOVERKILL's, "Blackout"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tribaloverkill, 2 Jun 2007.

1. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

omg, tribal you're crazy :p Spongebob Cheesecake :hehe:

2. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

I have to get some more toys to torture,... without them knowing, I sent sponge bob to the netherlands:) I think he's floating around the Rotterdam office somewhere:) I have Thadeez looking for him:)

3. Ediejo

Ediejo What's a Dremel?

Now it have 5 stars. ;)

4. tribaloverkill

Thanks boss;)

5. widmod

widmod Minimodder

crazyness boxed in a case.
    really its crazy how much etail you put in every part and how often you make a new part. But i like your case very much :thumb:

6. tribaloverkill

Thanks dude:)

7. Ediejo

Ediejo What's a Dremel?

I am not a boss only ediejo. ;)

8. tribaloverkill

Ok boss. I mean ediejo;)

9. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Dang, you're back, nice seeing ya!

I was actually searching for this thread a few weeks ago, but couldn't remember it's name, but when I saw it, I knew at once :hehe:

Great work, patience seems to be a familiar thing for you :D

Darkened

10. quibbage

quibbage What's a Dremel?

Amazing

Looks amazing hope i can get as good as that some day :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. tribaloverkill

Not really an update but whatever,... more like planning.

Jun-06-2007

First. Look at this. I pulled it off the lian-li. It's a thread-sert of some kind. It made of steel and it's only comprised of one piece. Not like standard thread-serts that start off as one piece and end up as two. Regular thread-serts expands around the hole holding it in place. Also,.. regular thread-serts have a face? on one side and the expanded body on the other side. This thing in the pic does not expand around the hole. It doesnt even pass completely through the hole! It's flush as hell on one side and on the other side is where this thing is. It overal height is like half, maybe less then half the height of a regular thread-sert. Its has areas to it,... a tiny tube like thing on top. This is what goes inside your holes. Then there is the portion with these triangular teeth that get pressed into the aluminum around your holes. This keeps it from spinning as you screw in your bolt. Then theres the portion that rest against the aluminum, the main body I guess you could call it. This is is slick as hell! It's neat and clean looking when installed and when it is installed,... it's not like this thing is going anywhere either! I had to use pliers to rip it out! I destroy the first one I tried pulling out. When I released that it was only pressed in I just pulled really hard and out it came. You guyz have to help me find these! I want them. I cant find them anywhere. I am thinking about emailing lian-li and asking them if they could tell me. I am pretty sure the holes are heated before these thigns are pressed in. So the holes expands a bit. Makes it easier to get it in. Once it's in the hole cools and shrinks around it holding it lieka champ. Not sure.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's the flush side. You see the silver holes there. Thats all there is on this side of the hole. It's friggin awesome! Help me find out what they are specifically called, who makes them, and whre to get them. I want these.
    [​IMG]

Anyways,... here's my PSU hole I cut way back in the day. I am mapping out the holes to mount the psu mounting plate.
    [​IMG]

You see the silver cot just under the wheel? Wheel here what that is,... I had to drill two holes right under the mobo tray. I couldnt get the drill in there to drill those out. So what I did was,... I put some wood under the case and use a pointy center punch or nail and kept whacking the will be holes from the inside of the case punching a hole as deep as I could get it. once I got deep enough, I turned the case over so I could see the botom of the case. I fould the little dome like dents I made and used a dremel cut-off wheel and lightly ground away the dent until I could see the tiny hole I made from puching from the inside. I used this as my pilot hole to drill from the outside. Worked great.
    [​IMG]

Here's the psu plate in place.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yea yea yea yeaaaa.
    [​IMG]

Little psu plate arm thingies.
    [​IMG]

The new psu on the plate. It's an OCZ 600watt something something something. What a pain to get out. They make em so you cant get them out or atleast easily.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pump tower in place. Sizing things up so I know what I can and cant do,...
    [​IMG]

Its amazing how tight everything is but still,... it all clears. The reall amazing part is that I planned it to be like this. Carefull planning pays off guyz. When it works,... what a feeling!
    [​IMG]

Look at that,... beautiful!
    [​IMG]

God I just love the overlapping of hardware like that. it's like a system. Designed to work just like that. So cool.
    [​IMG]

I have a pretty good idea of what im going to do here,... there are still some thing I have to figure out.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Underside of psu plate. I going to make a large version of the fan box underside grill to put here. I think its going to look HOT.
    [​IMG]

Here's some planning for ya,... 3 major pieces that I will be starting very soon. Two grills and a fan shroud plate. A lot more to plan though
    [​IMG]

12. tribaloverkill

Wow. How tiring this was,... yeA.

Jun-10-2007

Chocolate. Donuts. Milk. Mommy. A half a gallon of milk in the studio,... ha.
    [​IMG]

MMMMMMMMMMM,... check out them seams. So flawless. took me awhile to get these 3 peices cut like this. I was losing my mind. My 90 degree angle tools were like warped or something. My pieces of aluminum were off as much as a 1/16" as little as 1/32". Thats not good. I went to the store and I was looking for a good ACCURATE angle. I couldnt F@#$ing find one! I was there for a like an hour trying to figure out what to get! This dude comes over to me and asks if I need help. He said,... you've been standing there for awhile. I looked at him and totally dropped the bomb on him. I told him, "these tools suck! They are all off! None of them are a true 90 degrees! The companies who make these tools pop em out of thier molds,... paint the damn numbers on them and ship em out. They dont care that their off. The numbers on them dont even last,... they rub off with a bit of usage! If I shold find one that seems straight or atleast straight enough,... it like warps/ loses it shape. Bows,... whatever. All these tools are meant for carpentry,... the carpenters dont care that they are a bit off. I work with metal,... I see that my work is off by a 32nd of and inch! I really hate that! ARGH!" So,.... yea. The guy looked like he was about to start crying. Well,... not really. But ****,... he was looking at me as if I was nuts. Oh well,... I found two angle thingies that I settled for.
    [​IMG]

They worked:)
    [​IMG]

Here's the fan shroud plate for inside the computer. Going againt the back wall. I'm thinking about reducing the size of the 120mm hole. That one area looks kind of thin in the pic. Not sure if its just the pic though becuase it didnt bother me when I had it in front of me. We'll see.
    [​IMG]

Here's the grill for the PSU. This is going under the case. Going to kind of match the little grill I made for the fan box intake hole thing. This is going to be a lot of scroll saw time,... lordy.
    [​IMG]

All 3 pieces. The grill going on the back of the computer isnt done being drawn out etc. It's one big grill,... mathcing the underside PSU grill. All of them are going to be polished out. I think its going to look hot.
    [​IMG]

Again,... a lot of scroll saw time:(
    [​IMG]

Should have these done within the next two days:)

13. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

Wow, it's going to take some time getting all that cut out :O Keep modding, what you've done by now is absolutely awesome!

14. Pfaffen

Pfaffen What's a Dremel?

Truly amazing, I'm going need to spend more time watching this one. Alot of great ideas... Keep up the good work.

15. Teyber

Teyber ******

holey ****!

either you need to be a surgeon or my scroll saw sucks(or both), i wouldn't ever dream of getting something like that!

i think you are lying and used a CNC milling machine

16. Particle Man

Particle Man What's a Dremel?

Thats..... just.... wow

I totally want to be like you when I grow up.

17. tribaloverkill

Getting cool!

Jun-11-2007

I did some cutting as you can see. The fan shrough is looking nice. Just have to bend that one little thing and then see how she fits,...
    [​IMG]

At first I though I F@#$ed up but i forgot that teh inside piece is way different then the outside piece. So far,... they are perfect.
    [​IMG]

Bent the tab thing.
    [​IMG]

Other side of the tab thingie,...
    [​IMG]

AND HE SCORES!!!!!! Damn,... this thing fit in there just like that. I had to file down the tab thing just a bit but that was it! Slid right in there.
    [​IMG]

Look at that fit! Like it belongs there or it came with the case,...
    [​IMG]

From the outside,...
    [​IMG]

Pulled it down so you can see how it fits in there,...
    [​IMG]

A rear shot. As you can see I have to cut some more away from what was a Lian-Li.
    [​IMG]

You see the holes I drilled out for the 120mm fan? You see how the holes line up withe the holes in the case that were meant for the fan? How cool is that! I totally measured everything with a ruler. I I took all those measurments and drew out my part, the parrt you see now. You see how perfect! AHHHH!!! LOL.
    [​IMG]

One big ass grill. Thats going to look cool all polished out.
    [​IMG]

I have off tonight. I will be in the studio for a LOOOOOOOOONG time. I want these grills cut, shaped, and mounted by the end of the day. Would like to start something else on teh PSU too but I just stick with finishing this stuff first.

18. tribaloverkill

LOL. Thanks guyz! I am a surgeon:) A modding surgeon.

19. Tale Gunner

Tale Gunner What's a Dremel?

Now which forum do I follow you at? LOL (as if I could talk)...

20. tribaloverkill

I have 10 flavors to offer,... which ever you prefer. I personally dont use one particular forum to follow a log or logs,... it really depends on where I am at the moment. It's convenient. This is one reason,... well, the only reason why I have so many logs,... more viewers! More viewers = more comments and how I loooooove my comments. You know,... I really need to find some time to browse through more worklogs and comment on other people's logs. No one likes a 68 :nono:. Sorry guyz. I promise to comment more.