1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Build your own server

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 5 Jun 2007.

1. andyl33t

andyl33t What's a Dremel?

What do you mean by server? The one that the guide is talking about?

Thank you

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Yeah :) It's meant to serve files ;)

3. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Why do you need a database, php and webserver just to download torrents? If you want to initiate torrents remotely wouldn't some sort of command line command do it?

Anyway, Dugg the article. Definitely nice to see these kinds of software guides available if I need them.

4. pumpman

pumpman Minimodder

nice guide glider , Ill be asking how to replace torrents as a means of downloading with newsgroups , but I will ask in the Linux section once I've got one of my spare boxes set up

5. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Nice! :thumb:

6. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Good guide, Glider. Somebody has needed to do something like this for a long time :)

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

It's required for the remote web access interface. The article mentioned that you could just use VNC to control a GUI torrent client if you were so inclined.

But it's helpful to have those installed anyways if you ever do any kind of development work.

8. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I have and it is much better than VNC.

the NX web plugin can be used to access the computer securely from any computer with a web browser as well (just don't try playing games unless you're on gigabit LAN)

9. Xlixen

Xlixen What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the article, should come in useful in coming weeks.

10. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Im a total noob with these server things, can someone just answer a few questions:

Is it possible for me to create a website and have it hosted on this server that i create?
    Can it be accessed by the public if this is the case? (as in the whole web? )
    Im looking to create a website with a friend but dont wish to spend money monthly, can this allow me to host websites and create domains on the internet?
    I hope im not too far off the mark in my understanding of this server thingy-me-bob you made :)

11. TheEclypse

TheEclypse What's a Dremel?

Great guide, its inspired me to do it - which ive been meaning to do for a looong time now, seeing as ive got a mini-itx board doing nothing.

12. Glider

Glider /dev/null

We all were once, don't matter...

Sure it does, just forward port 80 to the server and it'll be dishing out to the world wide web.

HOWEVER a word of warning/piece of advice. This guide had ease of setup in mind, not security. It has lots of services running, with minimum security. Internally (LAN) that doesn't matter that much. You generally know who is on your network, and what they can do. If you open up the server to the internet you lose that knowledge. There for you need to close up all back doors. I administrate some webservers, and they are all hosted on Debian based servers, so that's not that different from this guide (Ubuntu is Debian based), however, those servers don't have X systems running on them, just CLI. Next to none extra services (mostly SSH/FTP only), with the crucial things (SSH mainly) listening on non standard ports. Also, Apache2 makes use of modules. If you watch the install of apache closely you'll see it add mpm-prefork modules and such. Well, for frontline servers there are more secure modules that get my favour (like mpm-itk, or suphp if the site has PHP scripting).

Creating domains is something that's been done by DNS (if I understand correctly), so that you cannot do with this server.You can however get (buy) a DNS redirect and let it point to your IP. An other piece of advice, if you plan to host a site that gets a few visitors, you'll need a fast uplink (upload speeds). Clients (users that connect to your site) don't like to wait a long time for content to load.

All this just to say, it can be done without much hassle, but it won't be secure. If I were you, I'd look into a more secure way of implementing it. However, if it's just for testing, you're set, you have a Webserver (Apache2), scripting language (PHP5) and a database (MySQL 5) at your disposal. If you need more information about it, just open up a thread, there's plenty of experience floating around this forum, or just PM me to get some links to some good reads.

13. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Great guide to hammering the nail in Microsoft's Vista coffin...

14. Caj Darkmoon

Caj Darkmoon What's a Dremel?

Now all we need is a guide to cheaply getting a server hooked up to a fat pipe.

15. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Well **** me! I never thought I'd see the day Bit-Tech do an article on linux!

Good read and should be enough to get people going.

However if all you want is a NAS then a much better option would have been to use FreeNAS, http://www.freenas.org as it does all the file sharing (FTP, SSH, Samba etc) and uses only 16mb of disk space to run in (they recomend just using the boot cd or installing it to an old USB key. While it wont do torrents or web serving it makes for a great NAS box and comes with easy to set up sotware raid.

16. GrahamC

GrahamC What's a Dremel?

I too am a noob as far as Linux goes,never used it and what's more this was probably only my 3rd artical I have ever read about using it. :D so when I say noob I mean it. Most of it faded to a blur which was expected by me and is no reflrction on the quality of the artical but the inability to be able to carry out the read/do MO.

This brings me to a request, downloadable PDF of the articals plz. :) It's going to help a lot to have readable print next to the smoking debris. Anywhoo downloading the iso as I type, you have caught my interest in Linux and I'll play in the safety of that for a bit after all let's walk before we drown . :wallbash:

17. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

downloadable pdfs is a fantastic idea could this be done on all articles i would love to have an archive of all the good articles here. im sure the new management structure would be keen on this.

on a side note i set up a home server using ubuntu and a brand new 690 + 3600x2ee computer a couple of months back but it kept losing connection after transfering files, also mp3's played of it would skip. i ditched it the idea of linux for Xp for the time being but this article has got me interested again. would anyone have any idea of why i was getting connection problems?

18. GrahamC

GrahamC What's a Dremel?

Well my gob is well and truly smacked :jawdrop: . Downloaded the Ubuntu iso for my AMD system then burned to a CD. Set my bios to boot from CD, it did and now I'm typing this on here under Linux. I have not done a single other thing and I'm simply lost for words. First surprise is my wireless mouse found and working, router/internet, graphics card all up and running without a single error or dialog box just perfect. :clap:

Going away now to wallow in my found status of Guru. :naughty:

19. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Excellent article, keep them coming Glider! :)

Fixed, thanks! -- Da Dego

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jun 2007
  20. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Thanks for the (enormous) list of typo's... I reread it a couple of times but they seem to have slipped me... Well, Brett has some work to do now ;)

Very true... Viewing the IP is easy, in a terminal, do
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig
    and you'll see a entry "inet adress"...

Changing it is a bit harder. Again in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
    and then change
    Code:
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    to