1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel's X38 chipset has IHS

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 5 Jun 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Whats the point! We don't need Chipset heatspreaders!!!

All you need is an HSF on the bare core.

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Jun 2007
  3. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

This aint new, the old AMD SokA SMP boards used to have IHS on them, 790X was it ?

Athlon MP boards.

4. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Mankz, In the article there's quite a good explanation for why they decided an IHS was needed. Plus, you're a 15/16 y/o barely doing GCSEs and the people designing this probably have PhDs in electronics/thermal engineering. I'd happily go with their decision...

Your terrible grammar doesn't make you seem intelligent either.

5. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

So remove the IHS, stick a waterblock on and get ready for some monster FSB speeds?

6. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Ooooh... wonder if the IHS is concave on that too? :p :wallbash: like most C2D's.... :/

7. Fiber4now

Fiber4now Don't feed the trolls

a little off topic but there seems no new news coming out of Computex since even with the hype of Intel and Nvidia working together under new technology and marketing agreements Nvidia has not given or Intel has not asked for SLI support on any of their new Chipsets. All I have read from your reports from Computex are that Crossfire support is built in. This is kind of funny since AMD now owns ATI and a almost a full yr has gone by after Intel has voided ATI's working agreement with Intel and still the motherboard manufacturers have not forced Nvidia to open SLI support to Intel or have Intel forced into using SLI.

What is going on here? from the latest reports Nvidia enthusiast discrete graphics cards are selling 2 to 1 vs ATI products, leaving Nvidia chipsets with SLI support the #1 choise. This will not change for Intel without SLI since yes you can make one heck of a single card system out of a Intel chipset and a Nvidia G8800 Ultra but what about the Intel C2D CPU with SLI G8800 GTS system that will first sell for less but out perform the Intel C2D Crossfire X2900 XT system. That is the part that I do not understand all new chipsets and motherboards and still Nvidia and Intel are feuding.

Perhaps I have answered my own question what advantage is it for Nvidia to introduce SLI to Intel when they have the market for Dual Discrete Graphics cards all sewn up already.

8. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

If only you could put a CPU cooler on there lol
    Imagine a stupid person trying to lap it? They pick up the motherboard and try to that way lol
    I think its a good idea, temps will be up a bit, but at least thermal paste will be easier to apply

Last edited: 5 Jun 2007
  9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

AMD needs Intel's market share, Intel doesn't have multi GPU. Nvidia won't unlock it's SLI since it also has a massive market share on both platforms. If NV release SLI on Intel chipsets it's own marketshare will drop since Intel can price/promote NV out the market.

You can unofficially run anything on anything, if you can find drivers that fit. If the PCI-Express lanes are connected somehow all you have to do is "enable" the point to point connection.

No one is feuding, they're just doing good business.

Tags: Add Tags