1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Pilot Toggle switch for a Power Switch, is it possible

Discussion in 'Modding' started by quibbage, 5 Jun 2007.

1. quibbage

quibbage What's a Dremel?

First of all im a complete noob at anything electrical(even though it looks interesting) so keep that in mind while yourre reading this so anyways...

I was thinking of using this

[​IMG]

as my power switch in a mod im working on but im curious whether it will work. Any ideas?

2. the fodder

the fodder What's a Dremel?

power switches are off in their resting state and only connected when you push the button, that switch looks like one direction is on the other is off like a Light switch. You could use it as your power if you just flick it on then back off really quickly. I say might because you might also just keep rebooting your system. one Lan I saw a guy starting his computer by shorting out two bare wires. REAL GHETTO

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Yeah it works as long as you flip it on/off. Mnpctech sells a modified version.

Bah! Real men lick their fingers and short the mobo jumpers. (Probably too high impedance, use a screwdriver)

4. quibbage

ya but im short on cash and the modified one is double that of the normal one, is their any way to modify one to make it work just as good as the ones from mnpctech?

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Yes, add a 555 monostable to give a short pulse and then do nothing. But you've still eventually got to turn the switch off manually.

6. elctroJunky

elctroJunky What's a Dremel?

You could also make the switch on procedure with two buttons...
    Use the pilot toggle switch to enable another button that works just like a normal power switch...
    On the other hand you've got a few seconds time before you need to turn the power switch off again, so you might just do that.

7. quibbage

Do you now where i can buy one(a 555 monostable) or if id be able to build one??? might be fun to try ;)

8. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Buy it, rip out the guts of the switch, replace with a momentary switch something like this:
    [​IMG]
    with the button sticking out from where the lever originally sat so the cover still, emm, covers it

9. quibbage

That works but...

Great idea!! ill probably do that... but the actual toggle switch still looked pretty cool though, a well :waah:

Thanx for the help!!

10. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

just got find a momentary toggle switch and buy a cover for it, ive seen those red toggle covers on the internet somewhere

11. quibbage

I said in an earlier post that i cant afford to spend that much on 1 switch right now, my dad wont let me get a summer job here, no clue why though... so im back to modding the toggle with a momentary

12. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

If you put your finger on hard enough to let the pins pierce your finger it will turn on. It hurts, though. (Believe me, i tried. Not on purpose, though)

13. quibbage

Thanx for the tip wouldnt have thought that would happen :worried:

14. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

15. quibbage

Thanx you just made my life 5x easier :D