1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project King Kong- Silverstone TJ07 mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ianho, 1 Apr 2007.

1. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

This mod is a very good example of the rule Less = More. This case doesn't need a lot of work to look superb. The things he has done look like they come standard, but that's exactly what he was aiming for.

2. Xlixen

Xlixen What's a Dremel?

This looks really nice. Congrats :)

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

SLI-8800GTX-setup running CS... :waah: Such waste of resources makes bunny cry.

But the case still looks clean'n'awesome, just the way I like it :)

4. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

"Workdesk" with CS running tsk tsk.

;D No really, it looks quite good, and i love those cases :)

5. ianho

ianho Silverstone Modder

Sry about showing Counter Strike Source at the "Workstation". I guess I need to rename it to "Playstation" now. LOL. CSS is my favorite game and I play it a lot as I'm a member of Clan Fusion. So happens, everytime I take a pic of the desk, CSS is running. Hehehe. I do use up the full power of the 8800GTX SLi for my other games though. I play Oblivion, COH, Supreme Commander, Neverwinter Nights 2, at 2560x1600 resolution n full graphics options to make full use of the gfx power I have invested heavily in. :thumb:

"Getting credit for parts of the original design?" ?????? Can u pls give an example of when I ever claimed credit for original design? I have never claimed credit for anything I never did or modified. That aluminum front intake plate covering the ROM slots, the 2x120mm intake plate behind the ROM slots, the frosted Silverstone snowflake window, they're all my own ideas n I never ripped any1 off ideas n designs.

6. fungry

fungry What's a Dremel?

he holds true to that. and plus, i think its good that the stuff he added to the case fuses well with the original design of the case.

7. Xlixen

Xlixen What's a Dremel?

Aww, Counter-Strike Source....Classic! What sort of frame rates you get on that with your beast of a machine?

8. Heero195

Heero195 What's a Dremel?

I love the case, simply amazing work, clean and simple just the way I like it. But have you though about upgrading to one of the nvidia 680 motherboards with the three graphics slots ? You could have the two gtx's running in sli in the two 16x slots too push your main monitor and a third card pushing your second monitor. You'd probly be getting the most out of your configuration then.

9. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Should you but try True Combat: Elite, You'd never never go back to CS:S...
    But then it depends whether you like arcade gaming or realism.
    EDIT: Shocking, that sounds biased! I mean, it sounds like I play TC:E!

H.B.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2007
  10. ianho

ianho Silverstone Modder

@Xlixen, the CSS in game stress test shows 150 frames a second. 2560x1600 resolution, all gfx options max.

@Heero195, well I've actually tried the Conroe in my rig b4 waaaaaaaay back when they 1st appeared but that was when the only mobo I cud get my hands on was the Intel 965 type with no SLi. I compared it to the AMD X2 with a single card n it made hardly any difference. That's y I stuck with the A8N32SLi mobo as I cud use SLi which was much better than using the 965 with single card. Now that the Quad cores r coming out, I'm thinking about getting the quad with 680i.

@Hugo.B, CSS is my all time favorite n there's no way I'll leave it. I may get distracted by Team Fortress when it appears though. Hehehe.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

OK its been a while since i last check this thread and well that post really hacks me off!

A mod dose not need to be over the top, Ianho just simply modified the case so his modifications fitted in with the original design.

He has converted the case to a BTX standard by flipping the mobo tray, and added a window to the top blow hole so the GTX can be viewed, thats just class, most people would not think of that!

Then got the wiring tucked away and air flow perfect in the case!

yes its simple but it has worked very well! i suggest to think about what you post next time when slating someones work!

12. kimandsally

kimandsally What's a Dremel?

What a lovely person, get out of bed the wrong side did you?

If you can't be constuctive better to not post at all, I along with many others think its superb, I certainly have not seen the mods he's done anywhere, and I have looked as I have the same case, I might copy some of them I'm so impressed.

13. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

i think this is a beautifull mod! either vetlel is on drugs or had a bad day!

A mod doesnt need to be way over the top, i like this mod more than many "overthetop: mods.

CS:S on a workstation: thats my type of "work" : )

14. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

I love that you moved the mother board to the other side :clap: I would have never thought of that, it was an awsome move on your part :rock:

15. ianho

ianho Silverstone Modder

@Heero195, I forgot to ask u about the 3rd gfx card thingy. Does it really work? I mean, I wanna use SLi for the 30" n the 3rd gfx card to power the 20" to show my MSN, YM, Xfire. I used to do that with a single 8800GTX last time so that I can have my messaging stuff on the 20" while I game on the 30". It's mighty useful. Once I go SLi I cant do that anymore though.

@Burnout21, u got it spot on. Hehehe. I can't remember if I mentioned it earlier. The BTX look mod was specifically for 1 purpose n that was to invert the gfx cards so that the bottom card wud sit right under the top window once I inverted the mobo. I've also had a really frightening experience with water cooling where the CPU water block poured water down all over my gfx card in a ATX case. With the mobo inverted I dont hafta worry about water from the CPU block pouring straight down onto the gfx cards again. That's if I ever go back to water cooling again. I dont really like water cooling but I may just hafta if I get a quad core seeing how hot they get at high overclocks above 3ghz. The ambient temps in Malaysia is always about 30C during the day. That's all year long temps!

@kimandsally, yeah there r very few TJ07 mods around. I realised that when I 1st received the case from Silverstone. I Googled around for TJ07 mods to get sum ideas for my project n cudn find any. All Google gave me was sum simple lighting n wiring jobs. No actual modding to the TJ07s. I guess it's such an expensive case n it already looks so good by itself that most ppl r afraid they'll screw up the looks when they start modding it. Or worse still screw up their wallets if the mod goes wrong. :hehe: That's y I included "Silverstone TJ07 mod" in the title so it'll be easier for ppl to google it. I hope ur TJ07 mod goes well, hope u post it up in Bit-Tech too so we can help each other out with more ideas on what to do with the lovely case. Right now only Koradhil n I r modding a TJ07 actively so it'll be good to haf more TJ07 mods. :thumb:

@zhangmaster12, u haf a workstation with CSS on it too? :D

@Ace, thanks for the compliment.

16. Heero195

Heero195 What's a Dremel?

Yo, with everything I read you shouldn't have any real problem doing what I proposed. The only two limiting factors I know of would be power (which you have more then enough of) and the the processor being able to handle it all, though if you were planning to upgrade to a quad core or even a high end dual core that should be a problem either. In any event you could check out dutchcedar's build (http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=112567). He uses a similar idea so you could get an idea as to how it performs.

17. ianho

ianho Silverstone Modder

Good info there Heero195. Thanks for the tip. I'll most likely go that way once I get the Quad n new mobo.

Anyway, here's sum new stuff for King Kong. I actually bought these lovely fans a while back but didn't have the time to play with them yet. I'll be modding them soon b4 installation into King Kong.

[​IMG]

Nice lovely bling bling fans. The blades r chromed while the fan frame is made of aluminum. The aluminum frame shud help in dissipating more heat from my heatsinks. :thumbs:

[​IMG]

Will update again after I mod those fans.

18. ianho

ianho Silverstone Modder

Finally found sum time to play around with King Kong again. Here's a minor update.

Here's the new CPU heatsink I just received from my sponsor, Arctic Cooling. A nice lovely box which even comes with a nice AC pen. Even the pen is made in Switzerland just like the heatsink. Howzabout that for precision instruments? Even my writing will be more precise with that pen. :lol:

[​IMG]

????????????? What's that naughty fella doing in there?

[​IMG]

The beast is out of the box. Lil King Kong's all excited bout the new heatsink. :D

[​IMG]

King Kong gives the new heatsink a big thumbs up. :thumb:

[​IMG]

The Freezer is a lovely hsf. Nice n light, uses stock mounting system, quiet. Let's take a closer look at the Freezer b4 I install it.

It comes with MX-1 paste on the base. Great stuff. Those who dont own MX-1 tubes can just slap this cooler on without worrying about thermal paste.

[​IMG]

Nice lil detail for modders here. Anyone noticed the fan wire? It's already sleeved in black. No ugly red, white, black n yellow wires here. Saved me some time right there.

[​IMG]

This pic shows a really nice feature of this heatsink. See those curved fins at the bottom part? They redirect air to blow down over the voltage converters of the mobo. Just perfect for my mobo.

[​IMG]

Next up was to unplug all the wires n remove the mobo tray from the case. Here's the whole tray with everything on it. This is what I love about removable mobo tray cases. Just pull the wires n the whole unit comes out so it's much easier to work on the hardware.

[​IMG]

Took out the 8800GTXs so I can remove the mobo from the tray. Wooooooooooooooooooooo, look at all the dust on the old heatsink. Gonna clean all that gunk off n gif it a nice coating of WD40 b4 I put it back in the box for storage in my dungeon.

[​IMG]

19. MrWizard6600

MrWizard6600 What's a Dremel?

what does he do with the two most powerful graphics cards in the world?

plays a game released in 1998. :hehe:

whatever man, I'm Cal-IM (Only O this year tho... 0 for 2, I know. The first one we used our worst five, the 2nd one, I onno, we just, didnt get the "bounces") . CS is teh gratest game ever made :rock: . I really dont know why. The DX 10 eye candy in Extreme Condition is amazing, the smoke, the fire, the snow. After downloading the demo.. it just doesnt have the same... meh... to it.

anyways, im the same boat. 8800GTS 640mb, and havnt played a game that pushes it to its max in... two weeks.

nice mod!

are there any pure pwnage chipsets on BTX tho or all Nforce 4? edit: er thats not BTX its just ATX swapped around :duh:

20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Its not BTX. Its called Inverted ATX.

Its supposed to have no real effect on heatpipes.

Tags: