1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project synaps3

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by synaps3, 23 May 2007.

1. synaps3

synaps3 What's a Dremel?

I assume you mean dual monitors. :p

You have to disable SLI to use dual or quad monitors. SLI only supports one monitor. :(

As for attaching the top window, it hasn't been attached yet. I'm not sure what I'll use, maybe JB weld or Liquid Nails. I like the clean, screw-free look on the top.

The_Beast- There is no real scheme yet. The interior will get flat black paint, and I'm thinking white and UV lights. I was going to go with the traditional blue, but that is so overdone now, it doesn't seem worth it :D

2. g_sanke

g_sanke I PREGUNTA!

love the top window, looks great.

3. synaps3

synaps3 What's a Dremel?

A quick update--

I'm sick. There were wildfires going on in South Georgia, and I think the smoke, or something else, messed me up. I've been having really bad headaches since Sunday, and they keep coming back. I shouldn't be out for too long, just wanted to explain the delay in update...

Some good news though, my package from Petra's Tech Shop arrived finally. It was late entirely because of UPS, Petra's shipped it like a champ, the same day I ordered. UPS somehow made it take over 10 days for it to arrive. Anyways, I'll see if I can do some work on the loop while I'm sick. Watercooling shouldn't take too much of my efforts :p

4. Teyber

Teyber ******

hope you feel better as soon as you can!

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

UPS sucks like that

hope you feel better so you can keep modding

6. fungry

fungry What's a Dremel?

get better man =) your mod so far looks great. Your top window is just gorgeous. Is it glass or did you use acrylic/plexi? And tell me how you plan on sticking that window onto the case, when you do get by it. Because i hate the whole screw look too. Atleast for the top window.

Looking forward to an update from you. Keep it up :D

because i suck and i'm a little amatuer, are most rivets in a computer case m3? and if so... how do you remove these rivets? do you just drill at them as shown in the pictures using a 3mm drill? help would be greatly appreciated and sorry with the hijacking of the thread :S

7. fungry

fungry What's a Dremel?

synaps3 i got a question for you! do all lcd panels [from laptops] have a controller board? because i have an IBM T21 sitting around doing nothing. !!!

8. synaps3

synaps3 What's a Dremel?

Fungry- Just use a bit that is about half the diameter of the rivet. If that doesn't get it out, move up a size. Most laptop LCDs don't come with controller boards to interface with VGA, as the laptop has a controller board built into the mainboard.

Alright, sorry for the delay. I'm no longer sick, but I still can't make much progress. I have a test in Calc II on Thursday, and I had to clean my fishtank yesterday. Here is the fish, blame him for the lack of progress :p
    [​IMG]
    I think he poops more than I do. Above is the tank after only 3 weeks! I only feed him one bloodworm a day too...

Anyways, to keep everyone entertained until I can get a real update, I'm going to go ahead and reveal one more of the "surprises" that are in this mod. For a long time, I have wondered how hard it would be to make a sub-ambient loop. Not any sub-ambient loop though. One using a 400w pelt. The pelt will run off two old power supplies that will provide the needed amperage to get 350w out of the pelt-- nearly 30a. I don't quite know how well it will work, as the power supplies are not identical, and may explode. So I will experiment with this system VERY carefully before I even try to put it in my rig. My goal, which may not be so far off, is 0C.

Enough with the talk though, on to the pics:
    [​IMG]
    This is kinda a bottom-view, showing the block and the plexi enclosure that will basically act as a waterblock.

[​IMG]
    Side view

[​IMG]
    Top view. This shows just how massive the heatsink is. This really is a front view, rather than a top view, as it will be mounted like this:
    [​IMG]

I will mount the power supplies, which will be de-cased to the bare PCB, and stripped to only have a +12, ground, and pbin (the green on the ATX) wire. The +12's, grounds, and pbins will be connected, and the two power supplies will plug into the wall on a separate plug than the rest of the system (unlike the 12" LCD, which will be off the computer's power supply). The PCBs for the two power supplies will be mounted over the controller board for the LCD.

Here is me test-fitting a little bit:

Yay, tubing!
    [​IMG]

It fits.
    [​IMG]

Another view:
    [​IMG]

Not shown is the controller board for the LCD, which needs moved to allow the side panel to attach well. It is too tight now.

Since I have a test Thursday, I can't predict when I'll have another update. I'm going to be optimistic, and guess Friday, but who knows, it may come sooner or later than then. I can't order any more parts (the 8800 or the parts for the pelt loop) until I finally get a credit card. I applied a few days ago, hopefully Chase will respond soon...

9. fungry

fungry What's a Dremel?

looking good there! and thanks for the info :)

no matter how bland that top window is, i actually like it a lot :)

10. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

Nice! One question, though. Are you still going to use the radiator with the peltier cooler? If you do get a sub-ambient loop working, wouldn't the radiator heat up the water?

11. synaps3

synaps3 What's a Dremel?

The radiator will still be used. At 100% efficiency, the pelt will probably be able to move 300w of heat, which is less than the amount of heat that the components will put out. So without the heatercore, I would have thermal buildup in the water and probably end up with average temperatures.

I am going to experiment with it though, who knows, I may not need the heatercore. I'll be sure to document the whole process, once I get the parts in :D

12. Thrillseekah

Thrillseekah What's a Dremel?

So cool project. I bookmarked.

Probaly going to sort of copy the koper in reservoir pelt thinghy idear it looks so cool.

Welll keep it the work up mate! Good luck with the test.

13. Thrillseekah

Thrillseekah What's a Dremel?

No more updates?